Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP compsoc

• 17-02-2004 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Just thought i'd tell anyone who's interested. The compsoc Privileges have been disabled, and the admins are NOT telling me if we're getting it back or not. The reason behind the closing is that some idiots were playing quake 3 in lab 307 last thursday and got caught, it wasn't a compsoc copy of q3, and at least 3 of them weren't compsoc members. And of course it was a business student who sold us out when asked "are you from compsoc".

So there you go, no more compsoc, and I for one couldn't be arsed fighting for it back because to be honest, it's not worth my few hours a week. Francis, Steve you can go talk to the admins if ye want but you may as well just talk to a wall about getting the accounts re-enabled.

If you want i could ask for the drives to be given to the *nix, or net soc or whatver it's called.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

For some reason I.T college admins are really inflexible about compsocs having network access.
    I'd suggest you get a grant from the SU and get a co-lo server somewhere...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hahahahaha
    as if that would ever happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    Hahahahaha
    as if that would ever happen

IT Blanch compsoc got quite a lot of cash from the SU when I was there. I don't know what Carlow's is like...just a suggestion :)
    Many SU's seem more interested in putting money into their skiing trips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The SU in this place aren't exactly helpful to any society outside of football(as far as money is concerned), but to be honest i don't think they can afford to help us in any way. Even last year, me and havoc couldn't get funding for the paintballing society(even though we had the most popular table at clubs and socs day).

It might be worth the try next year or something. But that will have to be someone elses job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the SU here is still in serious debt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hrm..

they allow one computer society to be born.. then they kill the other

...jesus...

there just might be a pattern here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Urm how did they pin people playing games in a lab on a compsoc? What sort of compsoc did you run?

They didn't pin it on compsoc really, but they asked if the guys playing were from compsoc, and one of them replied yes. The admins hate us anyway, I think they just wanted a reason to close the society. The people playing the games weren't logged in as compsoc or playing games from the compsoc drive. Compsoc is basically games and nothing more, we intended to do some hardware tutorials, programming and stuff, but never got around to it. But it's not the end of the world. I don't mind not having to turn up anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    The people playing the games weren't logged in as compsoc or playing games from the compsoc drive.

Probably was hidden on the D drive?

I was talking to one of them the next day, they downloaded a cracked copy from somewhere.

On another note, just found out it wasn't the business student who sold us out(apologies to mr business student if you read this). Apparently the guy thought the techies wouldn't mind them playing games if they were from compsoc, apparently he's really sorry too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Toast-compsoc was a gamin society

*nix soc is alot more relevent to college then compsoc

The students union was in huge debt but as far as I know they had broken even not sure if it has worked up another debt though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

hello wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by stevenk
    hello wall

Good contribution, Diane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Some of you may not care about COMPSOC getting shut down but not all of us have PCs at home to p*ss around on.

SO i'm asking anyone who may be interested in restarting COMPSOC to come to the room on Tuesday and if Curtis or who ever the president may be is not interested in helping then we should vote for a new president. I've talked to some of the members and their unhappy about all of this and we want to try to put things back on track for the few that are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Computers to mess around on ...
    Compsoc was a gaming society, yes more could have been made of it, or maybe there were plans, but as of from when I joined [start of this year], I saw one computer-related society, which was compsoc - found out it was purely gamesoc, and that there was no other 'serious' society.

I have thought about this for a while etc, hence I finally wrote letter to admins, and got NetSoc on the tracks ...

Btw, admins won't be too forthcoming for netsoc being recreated afaik, due to idea of it being game society.

What do you want to do with Compsoc ?
    You say computers to p*ss round on, so you mean general tinkering/messing about, or ? ...

Take a look at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140545
    and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140657

Compsoc for gaming will be hard to start/do ... as admins will give you nothing but crap, as always have done.
    If your doing something other than gaming in compsoc...would be interested in talking to you.

I was talking to Unrealqueen and she stated that she spoke to the people in question who resulted in Compsoc's demise, ye know who ye are and now, so do we. She asked them nicely to turn themselves in, to which she received the response "I dont give a fúck about compsoc"

As a result she took it upon herself to speak to Mr. Joe Kehoe, the head of the Science Department, who promptly told her that an investigation would begin on Monday.

If you read this and wish to turn yourself in for a more lenient punishment, from whomever may decide to provide said punishment, please feel free to PM or email either I_am_Dogboy, Sicnarf, or myself or speak with computer services and change your original story.

Ok, tonight i got a lot of time to think, and i've simply put too much time into compsoc to give up, so I will be around tuesday, and some time soon I will go to fergal and rape him up the ass(or some thing a little less perverted).

In relation to compsoc i want to make it about more than games, so I'm thinking i might start doing some programming(if people would like to know a bit of a few languages), put some compilers on the drive and some source code to go with it. We(me and steve) were gonna try organise some Hardware tutorials but after this I don't think the techies would like us enough.

I'm gonna try put aside some time to get some new games to play as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

I know the people who did it too, they had their accounts suspended for a week.
    Since they had their accounts suspended, I wouldn't say they'd get anymore "in trouble" if they just said it wasn't anything to do with compsoc.

If someone explained to them properly to just tell the admins the real story it'd probably be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Make an example of them or else it will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Even tho I'm no longer in Carlow, this sucks.

As for compsoc only playing games, what used to happen was (2 years before I came here; 1999/2000), was a few lads used it to do programming/network stuff, and then play games afterwards.
    When I joined, it was only playing games. Everyone knew we only played games (including the priest, who is in charge of all clubs&socs), and I suppose the admins may not have liked it then, as a load of people (me included) used to play the games of the "D" drive during lunchtimes, etc.

I say good luck to the Net soc, and maybe in a year or two, they may combine once again, and do a hour or two of netsoc, and then some games.

On a final note, what eth0_ said about how "I.T college admins are really inflexible about compsocs having network access" is true, as any other college I've been, has a lax policy when it comes to games, to the point where the compsoc just goes into a room, and plays games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

is compsoc on tonight?
    might give cs a go if ppl are around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

Yeah I will make an appearance

see you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Dogboy, Joe Kehoe is asking me why no one has gone to see him yet?? He's waiting on the list. If it's too much for you, i'll give it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I thought COMPSOC had the account disabled??
    Therefore No Compsoc Tonight???

Well we can use our own accounts, but since there is no compsoc the security guards can throw you out whenever they want and you can have your account suspended for a week if they catch you.

Though really, I'm pretty sure that computer services dont have the power to shut down a society, we should go talk to the priest or the society officer, or the SU.

This cant be allowed to happen, we've all put too much into compsoc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Theres a couple of people up there now, but we thought that some of you guys were coming in? SO where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Ivan
    Well we can use our own accounts, but since there is no compsoc the security guards can throw you out whenever they want and you can have your account suspended for a week if they catch you.

Though really, I'm pretty sure that computer services dont have the power to shut down a society, we should go talk to the priest or the society officer, or the SU.

This cant be allowed to happen, we've all put too much into compsoc.

What exactly have you put in?

The very reason for Compsoc not getting anything from the college is the reason that Sean's netsoc will. He has drafted up documentation, and has had meetings with fergal, he has a clear view as to what he wants to achieve and what he wants to do within the Soc.

We started the very first netsoc back in 1999, at the time compsoc was shíte and it still is, and we had our own server for various activities. We had unix turorials once a week for new people etc and we did lots of networking things. The best thing for the likes of Socs to do, is organise "talks", they can be students, lecturers, friends etc, as long as it has some baring on what the Soc is about.

So moving along, one of you needs to see past the begrudgery against the the IT computer services staff, and think about what you want a Compsoc to actually be. Gaming is one small part of it like, there are other things to do like "talks" etc, have a word with other Com/Netsocs in other colleges. Most of them get funding and also get hardware from the college etc. Hell Sun gave WIT and half the other Socs free servers. So get the finger out and you could actually make it a popular society.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have to agree with flamegrill. Before I came to Carlow, I was talking to a a guy I knew who went there, and he said it was good, and they did some gaming. When I first went there, it was games only, and it wasn't untill Sean mentioned about netsoc did I actually remember it.

Originally posted by flamegrill

The very reason for Compsoc not getting anything from the college is the reason that Sean's netsoc will. He has drafted up documentation, and has had meetings with fergal, he has a clear view as to what he wants to achieve and what he wants to do within the Soc.

We started the very first netsoc back in 1999, at the time compsoc was shíte and it still is, and we had our own server for various activities. We had unix turorials once a week for new people etc and we did lots of networking things. The best thing for the likes of Socs to do, is organise "talks", they can be students, lecturers, friends etc, as long as it has some baring on what the Soc is about.

So moving along, one of you needs to see past the begrudgery against the the IT computer services staff, and think about what you want a Compsoc to actually be. Gaming is one small part of it like, there are other things to do like "talks" etc, have a word with other Com/Netsocs in other colleges. Most of them get funding and also get hardware from the college etc. Hell Sun gave WIT and half the other Socs free servers. So get the finger out and you could actually make it a popular society.

Paul

Holy **** like.

Who the hell...

I gave compsoc 2 years of my life. I made it what it is or used to be. It went from a society with 12 or so members to one with 50+

Sure it was just games but thats what EVERYONE wanted. I asked, again and again for people who wanted more from compsoc to give more to compsoc but evidently no one cared.

Getting over the "begrudgery" is all fine and well but its a little bit more complex than that.

I have no problems with any members of computer services but they seem to be going out of their way to shut us down, as evident by the fact that they succeeded.

I'm the first to applaud Sean on what he has acheived and hope he succeeds where I have failed, in being on reasonably friendly terms with Computer services.

The fact that you have "political allegiances" is made all the more clear here by your taking digs at me.

What exactly have YOU given to compsoc. From what I hear your from the generation where they got several removable hard drives and they all disappeared, so dont you act all righteous with me.

I got involved with Compsoc because it was a games society, I tried on a few occasions to make it more than that but the fact of the matter is, thats alll I know. The few people who wanted more should have and could have put in more into compsoc and made it less about games, but they seem to be happy to just sit at the sidelines and spout off about how "compsoc is just about games", "compsoc is shíte", "wasnt it better in 98/99".

And I personally drafted many a letter, had many a meeting with Fergal Flanagan and Co. but the simple fact is they just werent willing to co-operate.

I asked could we put a server on the network, exactly like sean did, however I offered to build one.

If you remember Paul, I enquired about you installing one. I asked Munch & mordeth about moderating/admining it. Computer Services just werent interested. So dont tell me about our "begrudgery".

I'm disgusted that you would say something like that to me. You may still be annoyed or pissed at me about the Carlow Wan project, but again I'd like to stress how thats slightly less my fault and slightly more Computer services, more specifically Fergal Flanagans, and the other lazy feckers who were interested with the thought of always on, cheap broadband were mentioned but who ran a mile when the idea of work was brought up. Yourself included.

Clearly your netsoc couldnt have been that spectacular when it was gone by the time I arrived in 2001.

Compsoc is/was a popular society.

And I did get in contact with people from other societys and your right, they all said how they got alot of co-operation from computer services, but we never did.

You'll have to excuse the incoherence of my post but I'm slightly overcome with rage.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to bury my head in a bucket of sand until you go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Originally posted by flamegrill

**** you man.
    Who the **** do you think you are?
    I watched Ivan die face down in the muck for compsoc!

Advertisement