Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Home - gawd bless

• 17-02-2004 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

A terrible tragedy has occured...

My vintage windows98 install which has be customised to hell and was reasonably well behaved suddenly decided to act up on me.

So I decided it was time to move up and beyond.

I got a copy of XP HOME that was used on a second family machine and went about installion.

I won't bore you with the details of activation, but I will tell you how the moment I connected to the net with it I was bombarded with msblast-esque style attackts... I checked the winver (build 2600, sp1) and updated the hole that lets msblast in etc... Then I installed all my apps and the like and settled down to actually using the machine...

I set it back to classic style, I viewed items in list form as opposed to icon form etc etc...

But it just didnt want me to be able to have any sort of control

Continuously having to set viewing options to list, continuously having to set show status bar.

I installed virus scanner and sygate personal firewall. Talk about people trying to bombard me. Nevertheless a feckin trojar horse, whose name I can't recall managed to attack me and my nifty virus scanner told me about it, and where it was ... in some apparently HIDDEN directory in c:\. So I try to get at it with my virus scanner...

Wait a minute jack it doesn't wanna find it...

The directory is called System Volume Information

My question to ye all is...
    without going to XP Pro is the any apps, set of apps out there (tweaxUI style) that will allow me SEE whats on my fricken HD, that will allow me set my default view of View As Details/List and Show Status Bar, out there? And is there a way to get at that trojar horse b4 it fooks me?

There's already alot of my STUFF loaded up here so I don't need tips like go XP Pro etc.. etc.. I just wanna know what I can do with what I have!

Any help would be great!

Oh and it doesn't shut down automatically like it used to which is a prick as my homemade PC doesn't have an off button, except for the power supply at the back... it used to always be automatic shutdown! Chaintech MoBo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

After a bit of searching around I've managed to tweak it almost to perfection, but I still can't get into the System Volume Information folder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by chump
    Continuously having to set viewing options to list, continuously having to set show status bar.

set one folder the way u want, then go to tools > folder options > view > apply to all folders

then, son that same tab, take a look at the tick boxes below there, tick show hidden files, and untick the 2 tickboxes below that relating to hiding files

also tweakui xp or tweakxp is the name of the app ur looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

if u untick "hide pretected operating system files" and ur logged in as admin ul be able to get into that folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

System Volume Information is where windows stores your system restore points. If you're sure you won't need to restore to a point before now, you can delete everything in the folder by disabling system restore (right click on my computer, select properties, its in there somewhere), rebooting, and then re-enabling it.

You can get detailed instructions on disabling system restore here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Is system restore activated by default on Win XP Pro. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Is system restore activated by default on Win XP Pro. ?

yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by chump
    Oh and it doesn't shut down automatically like it used to

XP SP1 will sort that for you iirc

This might help the shutdown issue for you:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    System Volume Information is where windows stores your system restore points. If you're sure you won't need to restore to a point before now, you can delete everything in the folder by disabling system restore (right click on my computer, select properties, its in there somewhere), rebooting, and then re-enabling it.
    he could also try start/programs/accessories/system tools/disk cleanup
    switching to the 'more options' tab & clearing all but the most recent restore point.

kind of pointless if the trojan is in the most recent restore point folder, though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement