Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Of Questions

• 17-02-2004 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

First question )

the 12v plug that comes from the psu, now i have never used it before but recently i bought a new mobo (abit an7) and it has a slot on the board where you can plug this into (the small square 4 pinned one) and i was wondering should i plug it in and what does it do? ive left it out for the time being but just wondered if it actually done anything..

2nd )

How can i find out the GPU temperature? on my old fx5900 ultra if you went into settings/advanced etc there was a tab where it would show you the current temperature of the GPU. I now have a Radeon 9800 pro and since ive never used a Ati card since my old 128 rage pro im not to much in the know about them (used geforce's for years now but decided to switch for alot of reasons..) anyone know how i could get a temp readout for the gpu on this card?

3rd )

Motherboard monitor dosent pick up any of the sensors on my motherboard and ive been using this (and found it very useful) for ages now, anyone remember the MBM webpage and is there an update for my current board?

Screw the 3rd question after reading the mbm forums and site i realised that Abit are being grouchy with giving out the uguru chip info hence mbm dosent work with the abit AN7...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

1) Part of the new PSU requirements for the P4 - If you're not running a P4 you don't need it - its supposed to provide a 12v line to the processor so if you connect it and you're using the wrong chip you'll end up with fried chips for breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    1) Part of the new PSU requirements for the P4 - If you're not running a P4 you don't need it - its supposed to provide a 12v line to the processor so if you connect it and you're using the wrong chip you'll end up with fried chips for breakfast.
    Wow what crap:), I have it connected in my AMD rig - go ahead and plug it in it's there on the MB to be used not to blow up your computer :rolleyes:, MB manufactures are not braindead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Slutmonkey57b ---> ignor that guy....

Its there to provided a more stable power environment for your MB and processor,

If its on your MB then you should absolutly plug it in.

Thanks joePC.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

plug it in, the 12v line was later added to amd boards as a way to keep the power more stable than without it (tho it does not need it officially).

The 9800 pro does not have temp monitoring, only the XT series does (it was a later addition).

Get uGuru off the abit website chief, it tells u everything about the board possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by astrofool
    Get uGuru off the abit website chief, it tells u everything about the board possible.

Yeah, pretty sweet all temperatures etc, bios on-line flash and extensive software overclocking (FSB and voltages for cpu, ram and graphics) as we've all come to know and appreciate in graphics card utilities

Is this a first for motherboards?

• Advertisement
Advertisement