Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ways to captivate the fans?

• 17-02-2004 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Even though RAW shows are on the increase in entertainment value and smackdown is as steady as always do ye have any suggestions (within reason) that could improve WWe tv/ppv?

I think perhaps a ladder or points system showing who is in contention for no.1 spot (smackdown anyway) would work really well. It gives the oppertunity to see who is likely to wrestle for the title next as well as creating upsets. You could also promote younger talent (by lettin them beat the established superstars, (superstars)losing points and dropping them out of contention for a title shot). more points for special matches etc. What you think?

another one could be the introduction of a submission division? could also have a gang warfare divison or something? Better ideas like three cells on top of each other (like the wcw film... can't remember name) would also no doubt be welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Originally posted by Skud
    I think perhaps a ladder or points system showing who is in contention for no.1 spot (smackdown anyway) would work really well. It gives the oppertunity to see who is likely to wrestle for the title next as well as creating upsets. You could also promote younger talent (by lettin them beat the established superstars, (superstars)losing points and dropping them out of contention for a title shot). more points for special matches etc. What you think?

I think you've spent too much time playing Smackdown 5 and now you think it's a good idea for RAW to go on the basis of Superstar Points! ;) Might be enough to glue my palm to the control pad, but not to order in RAW on Digital ;)

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

The points system wouldnt work cuz you'd lose all spontanaity!!
    No comeback to get instant title shots or new signings!!

The triple cage match isnt a great match idea, can you imagine big show climbing the chain ladder to the next level!!

I thought the one i saw was pretty good, you just need the right guys to do it and Jeff Jarrett and DDP worked well with it. Sticking David Arquette in the mix is what stank it up.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

no got the idea from the classic wcw shows... (ladder)

yer i agree cage has its flaws that's why i meant better suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i also thought of the idea of a submission division the other week. but id go one further and have a submission title. i.e. u can only win a match by submission. no pinfall.
    it would be a great way to bring back ken shamrock , and maybe even steve blackman. with the right promotion it could be as big a world title. have it be the focus of benoit, lesner, angle etc. u could also have the wannabe shooters like undertaker and goldberg getting their ass whooped for real.

id also like to see the addition of a 3rd brand, their is definitely enough talent to warrent this. it could possibly be run at the same time as NWA, just to try to reignite the monday night wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I don't think we need another title. There's enough going around that people forget who holds them.

As for running against NWA, that wouldn't work either. NWA is on PPV, so you'd either order it or you'd watch the free WWE programme. If you did order NWA, you wouldn't change the channel after paying for it. In other words, it wouldn't be much of a war.

At the moment, I think WWE is working really well. We're getting good wrestlers moving up (Benoit and Guerrero), new young wrestlers moving up (Cena and Orton), really good build ups to matches (Foley/Orton, Goldberg/Lesnar, Undertaker/Kane, Triple H/Benoit/Michaels, and hopefully Angle/Guerrero) The only misuse at the moment is the lower tier wrestlers and the use of some titles, particularly the tag titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

I do think they are getting there act together at the moment. Like the old saying goes "WWE are always best when their down"

The ratings are not exactly 1999 standard right now.

I think they need to stand back, take a look at each star and put them in a division. Not like a ladder or a charter on the show for the public to see. This would be the first step to improving each division and adding importance to the straps namley the US, Womens and especially the Cruiser weight title.

Hanza

Originally posted by Hanza
    The ratings are not exactly 1999 standard right now.

That might have something to do with the fact that Vince has bought out the competition and therefore they don't have to be. What else you gonna watch? ;)

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Originally posted by Hanza

I think they need to stand back, take a look at each star and put them in a division. Not like a ladder or a charter on the show for the public to see. This would be the first step to improving each division and adding importance to the straps namley the US, Womens and especially the Cruiser weight title.
    I agree. Maybe the introduction of ladders may or may not spice up things but this needs to be done anyway. Surely it's a fundamental bit of common sense for any wrestling promoter to have?

Submission strap would be good if the "third" show was introduced. If some of the indy brands did get exposure as much as the WWe (for example old ECW) and they weren't bought out then they could compete strongly with WWe. This would highlight the need for a third brand? (I don't want to comment on TNA as it is not widely available and I have not seen much of it yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

id also like to see the addition of a 3rd brand,

Its rumoured that a third ecw type brand might be formed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

men in spandex lots of men in spandex its what the fans want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

it dosent make much of a diffence if they save hard core matchs for ppvs ect. Everybodies seen so many harcore matches now that the match it self wont sell ppvs, the people in it will. I think the current audience is more interested in technial and luchador styles. I dont think people want to see two fat guys hit each other with a vast array of objects anymore. People want more inventive ways of using wepons. Use of wepons can add somthing to a good match and make it an excellent match but they make a good match on there own.
    I dont think the WWE will launch a thrid brand
    The mane problem i have with SD is that there is 2 huge guys brock and Show and the the next 3 biggest (angle, eddie and cena) could pass as middle wieghts. While guys on RAW like Ortan Batista stiner and test look phyically like heavey weights but are underused.
    As for 3 cages i think that was just lame attempt by wCw to out do WWE. Think the WWE have enough cages as it is. Props to the WWE for coming up with such an original idea and desigen as the elimination chamber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Back in 2000/2001 I used to love watching the hardcore devision when it had substance. I was fun, exciting and really gave the shows that little bit of umph it needed. But towards the end it became so trivial and over used. Resurecting the hardcore devision would be a bad idea.

Look at CZW, and XPW. These are the predominant hardcore promotions. Nick Berk, The H8 club(well... Nate Hatred is ok), Lobo, Axel Rotten and Balls Mahoney, all these guys are psuedo athletes. Most of these guys have admitted to not having training, and for some reason they are proud of it!!!:dunno:

Back to the topic in hand, IMO there are enough belts. They cant even consintrate on the IC and US titles, so whats the point in introducing all these other even more pointless titles. I dont think it would do WWE that much good.

Hanza

Advertisement