Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free web space

Options
  • 17-02-2004 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hey there folks I was wondering say I get some free web space geocities or the like, dont matter if it has banners etc as it only for personal things like taking replies here good web sites I wanna keep and eye on and stroing them all together, can I FTP from an PC that has internet access ??

like a university PC or will there be firewalls etc not allowing me to, could I do it from any internet cafe with out havint say cute FTP etc etc

also what happened to the hosting forumn ?

paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

eircom.net ,etc provide space..
    i think it has a web front end to allow you to put files up (as long as you are able to access the web,you should be able to put files up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

eircom.net's free webspace had an upload page which means you don't have to use FTP.

thanks.
    as for the hosting forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=130251 , it's closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

try here i use this site for messing around with
    www.freewebs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could look at http://www.freehost.ie as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

can you run asp scripts on freehost.ie ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by mada999
    can you run asp scripts on freehost.ie ? ?
    It might be best that you contact them directly. Full contact details are on their site :D

Note: freehost.ie give free hosting when you buy a domain name. They are very very good value though so its worth a look.

for testing purposes: free ASP (with limits) host: http://www.brinkster.com/ -- has front end,etc. so no firewall issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

do you know if you can upload avi's or mpg's to freehost.ie?

• Advertisement

i'd imagine you could - cannae see anywhere upload limit.. but you wouldn't want to: "Each site is enabled with 500 MB of transfer per month" with a number of mpeg/avi you'd exceed this quickly enough (costly to you)

You can, but as with most hosts they stipulate that you must own the copyright to the files.

obviously :o

No need to be smart - a lot of people want to share funny vids they find on the Internet and this restricts them.

What do they do in that case - the creator usually wishes for it to be distributed - does the host ask questions or is it looked over?

99.9% time: overlooked....
    most of those "funny videos" will have copyright/trademark notices in them: as long as you make no attempt to remove 'em, it's foine. If the owner has a problem: then he contacts the isp - who removes em/contacts you...

Advertisement