Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda RVF 400 R (NC35) Using VRF 400 (NC 30) Engine

Options
  • 17-02-2004 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I have a problem here! Would you be able to help pls? I have honda RVF 400R off the road that requires a new engine. I can't find one ANYWHERE for it but I've got a few VFR engines. Can you tell me what needs to be changed to get the engine from an RVF firing in a VFR. What parts needed etc?

MY friendly local mechanic asked me to check it up and i thougth where better than here!!

thanks

ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

That be an odd one ted, depends really on whats left of the RVF. The VFR engine is similar, but not the same. It bolts direct but i have a feeling it won't be compatible with the clocks and thats a big issue with the two bikes. Both have restriction built into the speedo. Easily bipassed, but the problem is that the RVF clocks are different and the VFR won't run without connected clocks or at least something to fool them.

The wiring loom is the same and the seating position of the carbs should be the same (carbs are not the same, different type of keihins)
    I can't imagine it'd be a huge problem, if you need some help, i'd be more than happy to help out. I've an RVF400 meself, altho its in working order :)
    Be warned tho, its a fooking nitemare of a bike to work on, and the compact engine is probably a week long job to install. But WELL worth the work, even for the slightly less power of the VFR.

Originally posted by malico
    Can you tell me what needs to be changed to get the engine from an RVF firing in a VFR.

Maybe i missed the point here, you have an RVF rolling chasis or a VFR rolling chasis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

RVF Chassis! And i've been off road for 3 months so lookfin to get back on ASAp!!

If you can pick up a VFR wiring loom,or if you have one with an engine, it should be a breeze to do the lot. Might be a good idea to actually take a look for an RVF engine tho as theres quite a few of the things wrecked as track machines in the UK, might even work out cheaper than a VFR engine in this country!

Either way, should be pretty handy if you have the loom, can't really remember the differences in the RVF loom but they could all be modified, but its probably more work than its worth.

What carbs are you going to use, the RVF or the VFR....probably have to rejet the rvf ones to run smoothly for the vfr, don't really know ab00t that, never fupped with a vfr really.

If you're looking for bits, i have a few spare rectifiers (if yours is still stock, its waiting to burn out :P ), and will have a fairing set in castrol colours in good nick to get rid of soon enough, when the new sh1t turns up, god knows what else, a box of extra parts from rearsets to coils.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

vfr has more peak power ted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

what's wrong with the old engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

The drive shaft is bent in it. The mechanics told me it'd be cheaper to put a different engine in it than breaking the engine open. And the guys have always done their best for me in the past so fingers crossed. I believe they're workign on it right now!

Advertisement