Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Totally buggered now!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jim-SR

nope, no links, the engine is 16 years old! honda updated their site about 10 years ago to remove their aims of the VTEC engine lol

put it this way...if they had designed it for economy it would push 160bhp, who buys a fast car for good MPG? the mass market of economical car buyers want cheap insurance too, cos they are cheap-arse faggots, and a grp 15/16 car isnt cheap insurance, so why skimp on power and go for economy? economy is merely a by-product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

No links thats a pity. You'd think with all the Honda and VTEC sites out there someone would have the history of the engineering listed.
    Range? Even in racing range is important?
    Its also a major selling feature. They do it to sell more cars?
    Cheap-arse faggots - 800 quid MR2?
    BTW how mush extra do those mods cost you on the MR2? You never said.
    How do they work out who much extra such mods cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Vtec has great dynamics in low and high revs. I am not saying that Vtec was purely design for economy as power output is very impressive. However, there is very thin line between performance and economy. You can’t simply ignore the fact that stronger engine will eat more fuel but looks like Honda managed to strike very nice compromise between power delivery and used fuel, because engine is very efficient by design and not by accident( this includes reasonable economy )

So, you have small engine with considerably higher output, which could be compared to bigger engines but fuel consumption stays around the same mark for engines of the same capacity.

Is this great or what,

You will be calling Honda engineers stupid if they would not look at the efficiency of the unit.

They could easily deliver more power, but fuel consumption would be as big as delivered BHP

Originally posted by Gmodified
    Vtec has great dynamics in low and high revs. ....

Have to say I don't any VTEC I had (1.5 & 1.6) could be called dynamic at low revs. Below 3k (ish) they were a bit gutless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Would you feel better if say:
    good low-end torque

I know were you coming from about your economy thing but you should read Jim's post about cam shafts again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jim-SR

£800 MR2, not being cheap, called being resourceful :D cheap ppl buy cheap cars simply because they are cheap, i bought a cheap car when i had £5k available to buy whatever car i wanted, but the MR2 was the sensible one to buy

im on a gap year before uni, so i dont earn much money, but i have a pretty quick car, which i bought and insured for a shade under £2.5k (yes the insurance was £1650 TPFT lol)

and the work im doing on it i expect to come to about £2-3k when finished, its gonna be upto nearly £900 this weekend when ive bought some more parts, but the only major things left to buy are cam gears, valve springs, lifters, lightened flywheel, and a few other bits and pieces

then i start worrying about suspension lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kink933766

Christ people - that turned in to a good long discussion - I just read through it all and it took me about half an hour - I now have a slight headache.

I drive a 1.5 '98 Civic Saloon LSI V-tec - and I have to say it's quite nice, and it's very darn nippy for a largeish saloon - and it has all the extra flim - electrics all over..very nice.
    As for econony with the vtec..yes it's there...below the magic marker @ 4500rpm..but it's just so much more fun driving the car a bit harder.
    If I keep the economy light on in the dash I get about the same milage/consumption ration as I had when I was driving the bejesus out of my old knackered 1.3 Charade.
    I'm gussing that the whole idea behind the two cams is that you use the smaller cam at low revs, because a small cam is more efficient ( power vs. consumption ) at lowrevs than a high revs - when you the rev the engine over 4500 the small camshaft wouldn't be a highefficiency solution any more ( power vs. consumption ) - so the VTEC swithces to the larger cam which has a much better effiency ( power vs. consumption )..
    I agree that the VTEC engine probably wasn't built as a low-consumption engine - but it was definately built with efficiency in mind.
    Now on a completely different note - does anybody know where a I can get a cool bodykit for my wheels?
    Do feel free to PM me.

Cheerio! - HONDA ROCKS!-

Originally posted by kink933766
    .... I drive a 1.5 '98 Civic Saloon LSI V-tec - and I have to say it's quite nice, and it's very darn nippy for a largeish saloon - and it has all the extra flim - electrics all over..very nice......
    If I keep the economy light on in the dash ....

Nice car. Didn't realise they had a light on the dash...

Advertisement