Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sata hot swappable?

• 17-02-2004 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Can I remove and add devices while the pc is on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

afaik as i know you can but i presume you cant remove the one with windows on it and expect to do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

hehe i wouldnt remove my main drive while the pc is on :p

Ive got a dvd rom drive running on a sata to pata adapter. Does hot swapability still work with one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭joto

Wouldn't unplugging and plugging the power cord cause power surges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

yeah probably on my dvd drive. Sata drives are designed for hot swapability I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You don't have a sata DVDRom drive.
    You hava pata drive with an adapter.
    The drive itself is IDE.
    The sata specification has been designed with hot-swappability in mind, and afaik it's part of the spec of all certified devices.
    If you look at the Sata power and data conenctors they have both short and long gold-fingers. This is so that only certain pins connect before others.
    However, I believe they need to be in an adapter of some kind (ie a caddy with a handle) and an OS capable of utilising/recgnising the Hot-swap features of the device is required.

Advertisement