Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to dunkin donuts?

Options
  • 18-02-2004 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Whatever happened to the dunkin donut restaurants in Ireland? There used to be one in Grafton street and in U.C.D. Does anyone know where to get decent donuts in Dublin? The only place I know of is the "On the Run 911" chain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres always a q at the doughnut place outside the internet cafe on o'connell street(beside the BOI. Thats bound to be a good sign. Cant stand the smell of the place myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

Just passed that place today, I'm not really into those plain donuts or the ones covered with the fake (as I call it) chocolate, just the type that dunkin did and the one's that 911 do (911 are grand but they don't do a huge variety). Cheers tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dunkin Donuts was owned by the same company that owned Lyons Tea, when they closed down their stores I think they planned to continue supplying their donuts to the garages such as 911. I think you can get Boston Cremes and Bavarian Cremes in 911 now, not sure if they're still made by the same place that did Dunkin Donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Thoguht they were closed down for selling gone off food or something. Also thought KFC were thrown out years ago for doing something horrid.

All lies?

Yip, all lies. Don't know where KFC was supposed to have been thrown out of, but one of the more amusng storied I heard about the is that they breeded square chickens :D

• Advertisement

So why did they pull out of Ireland ? I just remember there being one in Rathmines when I was in junior infants. Now its that hotel where Savannah is. Any reason ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a KFC in Liffey Valley.

I'm thinking that KFC and Dunkin' Donuts were just two things that never really took hold in Ireland. I can certainly see Dunkin' Donuts having trouble making significant sales here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lyons had the Irish Dunkin Donuts franchise. They weren't making enough money, they sold out.

KFC are in all the shopping centers now. They had it up north. Guess I'm obsessed with this now :D

It was nice back then and its nice now. God knows what they put in it to make it so nice... maybe some square chickens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by seamus

I'm thinking that KFC and Dunkin' Donuts were just two things that never really took hold in Ireland.

Well they seem to be now, there's quite a few KFC's in Dublin, and they're always packed anytime i'm in them! Mmm smokey blue tower burger, mmm.

Where is this 'On the run 911' place? I wish Tim Hortons would open here...now THEY make the nicest donuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Ah yes, that great Canadian institution Tim Hortons - shame about their coffee. A lot of people seem to like it, but I always find it awful.

Krispy Kreme is opening a store not too far from me very soon - I expect the unwashed masses to start forming a line any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

On the KFC theme, there is a now a KFC in Cork at the Eastgate Industrial Estate just off the dual carriageway on Little Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Originally posted by cerebus
    Krispy Kreme is opening a store not too far from me very soon - I expect the unwashed masses to start forming a line any day now.

Krispy Kremes are dirt, pure sugar. The yanks go nuts for them tho. One opened near me while I was there last year - the cops had to direct traffic, and overflow car parks with feeder buses were put on to cope with the demand for the 1st couple of weeks. I passed it at 3am once and there was a queue of cars at the drivethrough.
    If I ever studied marketing that would be the company to look at, cos they've expanded on pure hype. Most people you talk to say they prefer other donuts once they've tried them. Cerebus is the KK you're reffering to in the US or is it here in Ireland? I know they've started them (or are about to) in the UK. Can't see it taking off tho.

The nicest donuts I remember getting were when I was a kid, at the amusement park in Tramore. They sold ring donuts whilke they were still warm - the place is still there but it was February when I was last there so the only place open in town was the fruit machine arcade, which was filled by an alarmingly large amount of old people.

Cheers
    Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

on the nine one one issue i have two words to say on the matter - boston cream.

Popcorn Chicken sambos just can't be beaten !

There's a place on O'Connell Street in Dublin, just a little kiosk that sell fresh hot ring donuts covered in sugar. We used to get a bag of them every time we were in town with my mam when we were kids. I walked by the place the other week and had a look in, I was extremely disappointed to see how small they are now. I'm sure this is not one of those things that you think are huge when you're a kid and only realise how small it is when you're an adult, but I'm positive they are actually making them alot smaller now.

eth0_ - nine-one-one is the shop part of the revamped Esso garages, they do great sausage and white pudding rolls too !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know the one, next to the net cafe. They smell absolutely delicious but don't taste nice at all. All you can taste is grease right through.

Personally I only like the Spar/Centra ones. They can be slightly dry, but the Dunkin Donuts ones taste way too filling and make me feel sick.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

dunkin doughts were the bomb....

the wond beside the net cafe in town are sick tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I'm quite partial to the ol' 911 Boston Cremes myself (taste the same as Dunkins as far as i remember).

There's one in UCD and the only other one i know of off hand is in an Esso garage just south of Cabinteely on the dual carriageway.

davej

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Didn't that Scottish guy win his law suite against them ?

re: KFC - Didn't they pull out leaving Pat Grease to fill the vacuum (wasn't running their franchise beforehand)

Best donuts were the jam ones in Dun Laoghire shopping centere - but that was neither today nor yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by davej
    There's one in UCD and the only other one i know of off hand is in an Esso garage just south of Cabinteely on the dual carriageway.
    Also Sandford Road in Ranelagh. It looks like someone took over some of the franchises and imports / makes the doughnuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 roscommmon1980

Was in Boston for Paddy's Day.
    I want a few Dunkin Donuts in Roscommon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This is a truly ancient thread roscommmon1980 :) Closing it off but feel free to start a doughnut appreciation thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement