Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil Starting 11 named

• 18-02-2004 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

Brazil team v Ireland (4-3-3) Dida, Cafu, Lucio, R Junior, Carlos, Gilberto,
    Kleberson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Ronaldo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Its not that great a side IMO, front 3 aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Its probably their strongest side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They'll still hockey us!

Weak links are roque junior and thats about it, the rest are class, cant wait to watch kaka!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Has the irish side been named yet lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I dont think the irish team has been announced yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

what strong players are missing from that lineup?
    4-1 to Brazil :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

:dunno: their comeing here to kick our ass arent they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by L5
    I dont think the irish team has been announced yet.

We're going for the surprise element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

they've come to take our innocence. At least its a real test before going over to take on Pires,Henry,Saha and co.

P.S. Is Zidane still playin International football? please say no.

Not turning up would be a suprise :D

• Advertisement

sorry wasn't trying to say that wasn't their strongest line up, more that their defensive unit is pants, Duff and Keane could havemade sh*t of them, keane still may.

tbh mate i dont agree, three of the back four would walk into any side in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by Cyrus
    tbh mate i dont agree, three of the back four would walk into any side in the world?

Have to agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

R Junior

The weak link and even he seems to play well for his country.

Easily their strongest team.

Kleberson will play like a God for Brazil...always does.

The front three will just destroy us...

Carlos is the most overrated player in world football. He can hit the ball hard and frequently does. Of course he'll occasionally avoid the crowd and score but that probability for you.

R Junior. No comment necessary. see Leeds.

Cafu is decent but I'd put any of our top two choice right backs in place as a defender instead. As an attacker he is a threat.

Lucio - you watch the same world cup I did?

Gilberto - not a first choice premiership player

Kleberson - a/a

Ze roberto - v.good attacking player.

Front three, world class as already acknowleged.

My point is they're not world class through the team in their respective positions.

Lucio has had a few bad games but imo is a very good cb, not as solid as say sol campbell but still a good player,

i rate carlos does the business in every game he plays, ditto cafu

Ive rarely seen gilberto out of the arsenal side, very underrated player, kleberson starting to find his feet in EPL

Juve vs Real Madrid 1st leg last yr, Carlos caught of position so many times it was scary. Inter got rid of him cos he was crap as a left back and he couldn't make the grade as a winger where they played him. And that was juve playing without wingers. Admittedly he scored the winner but he shoots so often he'll occasionaly score. (See Berger)

No debate on Roque Junior. fair enuff. not getting on any team. even leeds

Lucio not walking into any team in the world. fair enuff.

Cafu solid but not staright into any team in the world.

Kleberson - not straight onto his club side. So not onto any team in the world

Gilberto - first choice for arsenal this season but hardly better than gerrard, viera, keane. So not straight onto any team in the world.

they are good not great. People see yellow and get dazzled. by jersey and not football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

they are good not great. People see yellow and get dazzled. by jersey and not football

did you not watch the football this set of players played in the last world cup?

yes. beat germany(a good german side :p), costa rica, Belgium, china, england without Owen(effectively), Turkey by a dodgy penalty. Far from a classic world cup, poxy korea in the semi's. you're weaking your argument here.

who's better than brazil then?

• Advertisement

France :dunno:

they came 4th in their WC qualifying group. so those three teams at least.

I was told that 3 of their back 4 would walk into any team in the world. This is clearly not the case.

I agree with you there, but i don't think "more solid" defenders would suit the style of play of the team. But as a collective they're the best team in the world.

as for france? how many games did they win at the last WC?:)

Spain, Holland? in full flow.

Holland didn't qualify for the last world cup.
    Spain have never won anything, or really looked like winning anything ,once they get to a major finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Spain, Holland? in full flow.

Spain - Biggest underachievers in WC/EC in recent history
    Holland - the same. Sick of hearing "Holland. The greatest team to never win the WC. They didn't win it coz they're not good enough!:rolleyes:

I know. I believe that Brazil are consistently approached with too much respect meaning that they're sat back against, meaning they can play their footbal. If they weren't allowed do this then it would be a diff story. The team holland should have brought to the WC, the team Spain left in the qaulifying campaign. Give those teams the attitude of an Irish team and you'd see a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by The Muppet

rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

they came 4th in their WC qualifying group. so those three teams at least.

Indeed, that is correct, BUT

They did so without almost any of their European based (ie: worldclass) players. All of whom are playing tonight.

Really looking forward to it. Would be great to get a bloodied nose from a wayward Roberto Carlos free kick :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by krinpit
    bloodied nose from a wayward Roberto Carlos free kick :D

you're in the top row so? ;):p

edit, Kaka and ronaldo scored their goals in their home draw with urugauy(their last game). And diego "if you're not scousers I'm not going to score" Forlan scored two of urugauys. So i'm not so sure about player unavailablity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Uberwolf - While I agree that Cafu is getting on a bit and Roque Junior didn't have a very good time at Leeds I disagree that R.Carlos is overrated. He is underrated as a defensive player, he does more than you think and he is world class when he attacks. Jason McAteer is going to have sometime.:p BTW, R.Carlos said his favourite club in Madrid is the Irish Rover and he actually brought Beckham ther a few times.:D

As for Lucio, I haven't seen a lot of him but I'd sa he is overrated because he is so good in CM, it happens you know.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Jason McAteer is going to have sometime.:p BTW, R.Carlos said his favourite club in Madrid is the Irish Rover and he actually brought Beckham ther a few times.:D

No doub Carlos is planking himself at the prospect of coming up against the Boy Jas who will bamboozel him with his silky skills and legendary scouse wit.

I wonder what master plan Ronaldo has to outwit the Irish defence?

Kaka and ronaldo scored their goals in their home draw with urugauy(their last game). And diego "if you're not scousers I'm not going to score" Forlan scored two of urugauys. So i'm not so sure about player unavailablity

Yes, but it WAS Brazil's last game and they needed to win it, so I would say that is why they suddenly became available for that match.

:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Showing up would bamboozle Breen & Co. I have a vision of John O'Shea nutmegging Ronaldo. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by The Muppet
    No doub Carlos is planking himself at the prospect of coming up against the Boy Jas who will bamboozel him with his silky skills and legendary scouse wit.

Its a pity you don't show a quater of the unwavering support for Ireland as you do Utd.... of course... you're obviously from Manchester.......

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes, but it WAS Brazil's last game and they needed to win it, so I would say that is why they suddenly became available for that match.

:dunno:

I would say you were wrong. the game I was refering to was their current qaulifying campaign. the sqaud is here
    full team to pick from a la fifa rules.

Thanks for that link uberwolf

Should be a great occassion this evening! I'm especially looking forward to Ronaldo, and watching his movements off the ball.

Should be a great occassion this evening!

I'll be drinking to that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Well I am just looking forward to being in the North Terrace and watching a good game of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

were gonna do well lads!! look at the games that we were huge underdogs in before (portugal & holland wc2002 qual, germany wc2002, the macaroons in wc2002 to name the recent ones!) and we got somthin. we are a VERY hard team to beat in landsdown road, switzerland were the 1st team in nearly 6 years to beat us there. east terrace here i come!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by VinnyL
    switzerland were the 1st team in nearly 6 years to beat us there. east terrace here i come!!!
    with the exception of the Nigerians.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Who fancies getting a song going tonight

"gary breen is a homosexual"

if we get enough to start it then you might be able to hear it on telly, man I hate gary breen

Originally posted by Draupnir
    Who fancies getting a song going tonight

"gary breen is a homosexual"

if we get enough to start it then you might be able to hear it on telly, man I hate gary breen
    If I was given the chance to play for my country i'd take it in a second. go away!

your probably better than Breen as well eirebhoy

Originally posted by Draupnir
    your probably better than Breen as well eirebhoy
    My point is. If most people were given the chance to play for their country they would take it. Why do yo hate Breen for not been as good as you would have liked?

Originally posted by syke
    Its a pity you don't show a quater of the unwavering support for Ireland as you do Utd.... of course... you're obviously from Manchester.......

:rolleyes:

Who Rattled your cage. I'll support who I want to support and dont need any lecturing from the likes of you thanks all the same.

:D \0/

I hate him as a footballer, he may well be the nicest bloke in the world, but I think he is ****e and I have no confidence in the big donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Breen has done a pretty decent Job for Ireland in the past but I think his playing days for Ireland should be in the past.

I'd back O'Brien or Dunne with Cuningham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If I was given the chance to play for my country i'd take it in a second.

Or someone elses country? Isnt Breen from London, making him a plastic Paddy?

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    Or someone elses country? Isnt Breen from London, making him a plastic Paddy?

Don't start that ****

• Advertisement
Advertisement