Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of the P2P Apps

Options
  • 18-02-2004 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. IMO there should be a p2p forum. It is legal after all!!

So can anyone tell me- With the new version of Morpheus (which I must admit is looking good) and the fact that my beloved Kazaa Lite's days are numbered meaning no more updates, what is the best p2p software?

Kazaa, Morpheus, Emule, Grokster, Limewire, DC++, BitTorrent, WinMX, Soulseek, Shareaza, iMesh, Bearshare, ES5, Blubster, Freewire.

Which is it going to be? If you've got an opinion as to why the one you use is better than the rest please state why.

What is the best P2P app at the moment? 42 votes

Kazaa (incl Lite)
    0% 0 votes
    Morpheus
    23% 10 votes
    Emule
    2% 1 vote
    BitTorrent
    9% 4 votes
    DC++
    47% 20 votes
    WinMX
    7% 3 votes
    Earthstation 5
    9% 4 votes
    Bearshare
    0% 0 votes
    Grokster
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Dunno if the mods will leave this poll/post ... but bittorrent owns them all

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm a novice with bit torrent, when i'm looking for a file, an iso for example, i google it as "bit torrent name.iso" , is there a better way?

[Sorry, but these are warez and downloadz site and everyone knows it. --adam]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You mean this forum. Could be always used to discuss these matters.

As for my choice. I usually have 3 or 4 file sharing apps. But I prefer Bittorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

[Sorry, but these are warez and downloadz site and everyone knows it. --adam]

• Advertisement

I'd edit those links quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i use bittorrent mostly

kazza is only good for downloading songs..em no, they have noisy bits. But movies- actually nope again, usually the wrong one, theres programs- hang on most are virii,

feic that i am gonna uninsall kazaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    Even the torrent sites themselves aren't breaking the law so linking to them can't possibly be breaking the law.

But the links lead to warez which iirc is against boards rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Originally posted by Ste-
    You mean this forum. Could be always used to discuss these matters.

As for my choice. I usually have 3 or 4 file sharing apps. But I prefer Bittorrent

Are you joking! Mention any p2p program in there and they go mental.
    Quote from the forum charter:
    Originally posted by yellum

This board deals with Legal File Sharing and Distribution. This is NOT the place to talk about bittorrent or kazaa or whatever. This is where you come to get someone to send you patches or download some massive game demo.

Us poor P2P users who use filesharing to share our homemade music and videos have nowhere to turn:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dave is right, but 90% of the files on those sites are warez and downloadz, and everyone here knows it. I'm not bothered about the legality of it, I just don't see why we should be supporting sites that knowingly allow it to go on.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

its not listed but i use imesh, but v3.0 as the new version comes with a load of spywaer and crap that you have to have installed for it to work iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

also not listed is giFT, which operates on both the FastTrack and openNap networks. Easily pwns any w32 varient

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I like being hypocritical too. It keeps people on their toes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Soulseek is by the best for me for music!
    DC+ is quite good if you can find someone with something you're looking for and they're in sweeden(Excellant speeds) pitty you can't accerlate it by downloading secttions off people at a time.
    I ain't used this bittorrent now, but I hear you have to uploaded what you download or something? I'm not against uploading, I hate sharing files with people that don't share

Originally posted by Lenny
    I ain't used this bittorrent now, but I hear you have to uploaded what you download or omething?
    Bittorrent works by sharing whatever you have downloaded so far with other people downloading the same file. In this way you may sometimes be downloading a file in which no-one has 100% of a file but between all the other downloaders 100% of the file is available ... i.e. user X has 0 - 10% of the file user y has 10 - 20% of the file etc etc...
    In this way a single seed can pass out the file to hundreds of peers at the dame time ... it also means that because you are downloading from a lot of people at the same time you max out your download speed :D ... you may also max out your upload speed, which can make your other web use a pain in the arse, so make sure to limit you upload, but not too much

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I heard of a cheeky of someone that had a program that stops their upload alltogether for their pc, which they can limit the upload they wish to let bt have..
    whats the url on this bt program? is it big?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    It's Open Source so there are a load of clients, this one is my favourite - http://ei.kefro.st/projects/btclient/ - but I know other people here like other clients.

Once you have that you'll have to go looking for .torrent files, I'd link but adam is being a big meanie.

You say you'll link.. I assume its possible to search the database aswell though, yea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Imesh full...

other than that... i use torrent storm

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Torrent all the way, but DC++ and SoulSeek have their place too.

You can get a Suprnova search engine (NovaSearch) for firefox/firebird. Pretty damn handy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I use Emule and Bittorent. Although not every my bittorent works. Why annoys me. So most of my downloads are from Emule's Sharereactor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

A note on bittorrent, the speeds you get seem to be partially dependednt on platform. I've used a multitude of clients on windows and 1 on the mac and 1 on linux as well, for some reason the windows clients don't seem to attain the same speeds as the Linux or especially the Mac version, anyone know why?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe DC servers are the safest you can get, once you find a nice private server your basically sorted imho

Friend of mine got a letter from Esat for using suprnova (BT) so obviously thats not that safe and I won't even get started on the waste of space that Kazaa etc are!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

soulseek all the way - especially if you are in a big community that only share with each other.

Advertisement