Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mis_perceptions?

• 18-02-2004 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

After reading varying posts from this forum and also remembering my earlier posts where words were exchanged between myself and Dustaz, it got me thinking again.

Why do non-wrestling fans, boards user everythinglive for example, think that by criticising wrestling as not being sport that it will get a rise out of wrestling fans, or in fact why do they do it?.

By this I mean I have heard and read countless times of ridiculing wrestling or wrasslin fans - expecting the fans to be inbred hicks with nothing better to do then watch men in pants pretend to fight.

Hell I dont mind criticism fo anything aslong as it can be backed up by facts and a decent opinion - the excuse that "wrasslin sucks" is becoming a tired joke, atleast to me.

Dont get me wrong, I am not going to rant about people who do that (cause I already did that here and here :) )

I am just curious about 2 things - are wrestling fans sick of that type of attitude and the other is why do people feel the need to ridicule something that has, by and large been acknowledged as entertainment, and not a sport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    I am just curious about 2 things - are wrestling fans sick of that type of attitude and the other is why do people feel the need to ridicule something that has, by and large been acknowledged as entertainment, and not a sport

I wouldn't say sick of it, i'd say more bored of it. I'm 28 years old, have been watching it since Sky aired over here first at the end of 86.

The thing is, i tell people now I still watch it, and they still slam it thinking it's still in it's cartoonish phase. No idea of the bumps from 20' cells or ladders, I end up showing them and they end up leaving the apartment saying "holy ****!"

A lot of it is slammed without even being watched. And those who do watch it saying "but it's fixed", "it's scripted".... right? Now you gonna tell me something i don't know. It's not to be taken seriously, it never was!

I don't take it seriously, never did. But i get a damn kick out of watching it and i'll probably be watching it until i'm dead! :)

Nero
    Proud fanatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I wouldn't say sick of it, i'd say more bored of it. I'm 28 years old, have been watching it since Sky aired over here first at the end of 86.
    Ditto

The thing is, i tell people now I still watch it, and they still slam it thinking it's still in it's cartoonish phase. No idea of the bumps from 20' cells or ladders, I end up showing them and they end up leaving the apartment saying "holy ****!"
    Yup, I remembering watching a certain Hell in a Cell with friends while drinking (pretty wasted), until we all sobered up in about 3 seconds flight time :)

A lot of it is slammed without even being watched. And those who do watch it saying "but it's fixed", "it's scripted".... right? Now you gonna tell me something i don't know. It's not to be taken seriously, it never was!
    well as I said before in a previous post - when younger, I believed it was real, but then I grew up but the fascination was still there

I don't take it seriously, never did. But i get a damn kick out of watching it and i'll probably be watching it until i'm dead! :)
    Hell yeah, already made arrangement for me to buried with my tv and video collection :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    Why do non-wrestling fans, boards user everythinglive for example,

tbh i think that its more sad to create an account on a website purely to flame a group of people who are not bothering anyone else. merely swapping opinions/news on a product they enjoy.

y do people who do not watch wrestling have such a strong opinion, and also feel the need to express this opinion in such a condesending way?

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme

y can i picture a casket/buried alive/ shoot between nero an undertaker with nero draggin ut down with him :)

with bungalow as guest enforcer!!! Because CRASHTV=RATINGS!!!
    Nero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

"y do people who do not watch wrestling have such a strong opinion, and also feel the need to express this opinion in such a condesending way?"

It bothers them that something "Scripted" can entertain us so much.
    They feel that because they're not part of it they should insult us and make us out to be stupid. Jealousy!

Anyway. I can see why. I can;t stand pop music/Brit pop and I get in fights with ppl over it in the same vein as wrestling. Not comparing Music to Wrestling but I would often ask someone whydo you buy/listen to this sh*te when you know the said artist probably didn't write it etc. etc.

It all comes down do whether or not you give a f*ck what ppl think of you and I for one don't.

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    It bothers them that something "Scripted" can entertain us so much.
    They feel that because they're not part of it they should insult us and make us out to be stupid. Jealousy!

These are the same guys who are gutted when they hear that tripe like Friends is on it's last series... Oh sorry, did someone say scripted?

Besides, the way footy games are getting more and more rigged and games being thrown, which is more worked? ;)

Nero
    PS: As you probably might have guessed, i couldn't give two f**ks what most people think either, might have something to do with listening to rock music with long hair in the early 90s when the majority of people i grew up with were off their faces on E, listening to toytown techno that made no sense and wore shiny happy tracksuits on an everyday basis... but I was the strange one?! ;)

(mwhahah, who's laughing now?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Is music fake?

This question was asked on this board over a year ago... Well what do you all think, is every form of music, dance and performance fake, lacking in substance, ie: not real?

No, i hear you cry?

Well if wrestlers, like musicians, bands and performers practice, reherse and live for what they do, does that make it fake. If wrestling is fake, then music, drama, tv, story telling, poetry, ballet, cinema, and anyother type of entertainment you care to mention is fake... they all fall under the same genre of non-realism...

Think about it.

Im not gonna get on the Male soap opera wagon, cos thats a saying that lacks consistancy and logic. Wrestling fans know what it means, but the general public are still oblivious to its meaning...

Until we, the wrestling supporters, can find a way to convince the world what wrestling is, we are just gonna have to keep living and loving it. I do take wrestling seriously, but as a hobby, intrest, love and above all else an established sport...

Heres a fact for wrestling haters all around the world, wrestling is the oldest documnetated rule driven sport of all time... Thats one for us, zero for them.

Hanza

I'm happy to have them go on living in the darkness!
    It amuses me to watch them struggle with our beliefs in Wrestling and our enjoyment of it!

Originally posted by Hanza
    This question was asked on this board over a year ago... Well what do you all think, is every form of music, dance and performance fake, lacking in substance, ie: not real?

in fairness hanza i dont think most peoples issue is with rehersals, its with the ending being predetermined, while it is publicised as being not predetermined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Hanza
    Is music fake?

No, i hear you cry?

Well if wrestlers, like musicians, bands and performers practice, reherse and live for what they do, does that make it fake. If wrestling is fake, then music, drama, tv, story telling, poetry, ballet, cinema, and anyother type of entertainment you care to mention is fake... they all fall under the same genre of non-realism...

Think about it.

Im not gonna get on the Male soap opera wagon, cos thats a saying that lacks consistancy and logic. Wrestling fans know what it means, but the general public are still oblivious to its meaning...

Until we, the wrestling supporters, can find a way to convince the world what wrestling is, we are just gonna have to keep living and loving it. I do take wrestling seriously, but as a hobby, intrest, love and above all else an established sport...

Heres a fact for wrestling haters all around the world, wrestling is the oldest documnetated rule driven sport of all time... Thats one for us, zero for them.

Hanza

Wow, you're all over the place there Hanza. What Sky show isn't wrestling and it doesn't bare much resemblance to the 'real' documented wrestling you mention. Obviously it's fake in the sense that most of what happens is scripted, but that doesn't mean that it's not difficult to do and the performers do get injured all the time. I think you need to just chill and let the people who don't 'get it' to themselves.

I've had 'loud discussions'* with people who live for Eastenders, Corrie etc but would turn up their noses at Raw or Smackdown - but then I do the same for soaps so I suppose we're all guilty of being blinkered some times.

(* arguments)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Wrestling haters p*ss me off so much. Wait well i don't mind people hatin wrestling but i bleedin hate the ones who have to try and s**t all over the business that we love.

But did you notice that they all say the same thing.

"O wrestling is for kids"

or there favourite

"Its just a bunch of sweaty men touching each other in spandex"

ahhh it annoys me so much

Bunch a saps thats all they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 everythinglive

I would just like to say that i did not say that wrestling is not a sport, or that its for queers, or only saps, like the phenom, like it. so please, get your facts right next time.

Originally posted by everythinglive
    I would just like to say that i did not say that wrestling is not a sport, or that its for queers, or only saps, like the phenom, like it. so please, get your facts right next time.

For Sale: One Village Idiot, offered free transfer for miserable performance to get a rise out of the regulars on the pro-wrestling board. You're practically contradicting yourself in a previous post, you do realise this, right? ;)

Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pwalsh

Wrestling fans do get fed up listening to that because it always comes from people who dont actually know much about wrestling and i feel that is why they slag it because they dont understand it and want to reasure themself.

It really gets to them!
    I love it!:D

In the end, Poison was the cure ;)
    Nero

Advertisement