Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Xphone

• 18-02-2004 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm in the market for a smartphone... the one I've in mind is the i-mate 2 also known in 02 Asia as the O2 xphone...

Does anyone know when or if this will be available in O2 Ireland ? Otherwise its expansys.ie for me...

Thanks,
    jkb_dub

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - unlikely that the XPhone will be made available here - O2 Asia is a very separate part of the mmO2 group than the UK/DE/IRL European Operator group

although there is momentum building for the MS Smartphone platform so watch this space as they say...

also, do a price compare between the UK and IE expansys store before ordering - you may find it could be a little cheaper ordering from the UK for some items - re this thread

you might also want to do some reading around the net about the model - the Bluetooth is MS's own stack (first implementation) so not as fully featured as that from Widcomm - also there were some battery life issues which people appear to have traced down to having a card inserted into the SD slot (link) - as far as I've read it hasn't been resolved as yet...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

Thanks BrianG - I'd a funny feeling you'd reply first ;-)

Nice links thanks, I saw the price diff one before but it slipped my mind.

I was hoping to stick a Wifi SDIO in to it but have not reviewed much yet... Thanks for the warning..

Thanks again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

no WiFi SDIO drivers (as yet) for the Smartphone - there is to be a second gen of the cards with lower power requirements too (mainly so that they will finally get working on the PalmOS devices)

also bear in mind the positioning of the SD slot on on the devices - the HTC Voyager (e.g. i-Mate SP2, XPhone) being at the side a protruding card would make it uncomfortable to hold / use

here's an example of a similar sized SDIO card in the HTC Tanager (e.g. i-Mate SP1) - which has basically the same form factor / slot position

htc_sp_sdio.jpg

BrianG

Thanks again... it's a bit of a nuisance the position of the slot...

Maybe I'll hang on a while... might need to do some digging into this a bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Or you can contact me, I've got a Motorola MPX200 going up for sale!

Cheers

• Advertisement

Well if it was an mpx 220 then I would definitely be interested !!

;)

Advertisement