Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

acetone

• 18-02-2004 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

K i have to replace my fuged up heatsink and you all say to use acetone firt where can i get acetone ? And second what do you use to apply acetone to the cpu die ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

nail varnish remover.
    I don't think you need pure acetone just a solvent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Nail varnish remover has a bunch of crap in it I though acetone was best ?

Well it doesn't leave any residue on the surface but if you want pure acetone a chemist should be able to give it to you.

K so what do ye lot use to apply the stuff to the Cpu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by bizmark
    K so what do ye lot use to apply the stuff to the Cpu

Nail Polish\Varnish remover, as you said yourself!? I suggested very cheap versions, with no additives (eg Nail strengthening). The main ingredient by far in any of them is acetone however.

Matt

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Nail Polish\Varnish remover, as you said yourself!?

Eh ? i mean what do you use to apply the acetone to the cpu die seeming static isnt your cpu's best friend

Iv never bought acetone before ....or nail varnish etc OR used the stuff on a cpu to remove thermal compound so im a bit lost

just use a cotton bud.
    The 'static' problem only applies to the actual pins. The top part of the CPU is non-conductive.
    If you're really worried about it then leave the CPU attached to the mobo when you're cleaing the goop off.

Thanks m8 thats what i wanted to know :)

Advertisement