Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing XBOX tsop

Options
  • 18-02-2004 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

being reading up lately that an xbox can be modded without a mod chip just replace the onboard bios

so unlocked the required jumpers, ordered 007 agent under fire and a memory card off ebay,

in the mean time i tried plugging in a switchable mod chip, hoping i could boot up with the mod, switch mod off, update the bios from evox, but no joy i tried it 3 times, any other way around this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

what mod are you trying to flash??

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

flashing the tsop using a mod is messy - very messy :) - best bet is just to wait for auf to arrive - use raincoat rather than evox - if you're tsop is a winbond then it won't erase/flash with evox. you'll need a moded xbox to get the stuff onto the memory card - i assume you have one available or you still have the mod chip in the xbox?

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

yeah i have an executer 2.2lite, i tired switching it off after 1/2seconds but no good, i read something about grounding a15 and then disconneting it while the xbox is on, well i grounded it, switched on the xbox, and the wire got so hot it melted the plastic off and burned little tracks accross me fingers, i am lucky it still works,i closed the box up

i got my aof in the post so i'll post up how i get on, forget my first post

thanks lads

a15 is a nasty small point to solder

this is what i followed - worked a treat

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=61901

although evox is easier it's not as complete and lots of the xboxs i've come accross have the winbonds

just don't get the bios size wrong ;)

you're much better off with a nice solder modchip though

Nige

got 007 agent under fire, very easy to flash the tsop using it but...

hosed me xbox,i thought it was a 1.3 but its a 1.1 needs a 1k bios . doh!, mod chip still works fine

i'm glad xboxs are getting cheaper!!!

ps-i dont have to solder a15, just ground it while the xbox is booting, could just press a multimeter probe against it

new problem...
    the heatsink beside the cpu is getting very hot and xbox freezes after about 1hrs use, and ideas lads??

• Advertisement

doh - that's why i commented about the size in my last post ;) - if you want rid of it give me a shout - i'm in the mood for messing with an xbox - never hosed a tsop so i don't know how to fix it.

you could swap fans on the xbox to provide more cooling - an 80mm will fit

Nige

i'll try that with the fan thanks,

can you have it... sorry, mate,but i prefer broken things, you don't have to treat them like babies, now wheres my soldering iron :)

hehe - i prefer working things but like a challenge sometimes ;) let me know what 12v fan you get - i've been thinking of getting a quiet fan as my hd is really quiet alread

Nige

the board works fine with a mod,

the dvd rom is fubar, so my plan it to install the xbox in a pc case, so i can fit a pc dvd rom. i tested the dvd rom and it works great with all disk types (except floppies :p )

i have sprayed a case and pc dvd-rom black

i plan to install it with the tv port to the front of the pc case and usb plugs to the back. this way i can bolt the power supply to the floor of the case, because the power supply cable is very short, and the tv and joystick cables are very long.

i have cut an old pc power supply in half and bolted it to the case this will be its extractor fan

i have painted a floppy drive black too, just to fill the floppy drive space

i'll post pictures of the working box

question-- any idea how to wire the on off switch onto it, maybe even the leds

the pc dvd rom won't read originals but hey if the tsop is hosed you won't be concerned with that ;) - are you just looking for a list of the pins on the cable that's used for power/eject ?

• Advertisement

the pc dvd rom won't read originals

its gonna be my xbox for the parents house, for when i visit, i will only play backups on it becuase the nephew destroys disks

are you just looking for a list of the pins on the cable that's used for power/eject

thats what i want exactly, anyone one know where i can get it,

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=50825

the thread is for changing leds but the exact pic you're looking for is halfway down that first page

here it is....

DSCF0007.JPG

cut an old power supply in half to use its fan,and soldered the powercable wires to the pc case socket

DSCF0002.JPG

power supply sitting at the bottom of the case and new fan fitted to the cpu

DSCF0003.JPG

controller cables, out the back-- and i soldered 2 wires onto the on/off switch and wrapped the board in masking tape

DSCF0006.JPG

dvd-rom and hdd in the usual places

DSCF0004.JPG

evox up and running and no mod chip installed...

DSCF0009.JPG

forgot to mention (1) that i got the tsop working...

the 1 meg tsop is in 4 256k banks

you need to ground a18 and a19 and fit switches to the ground wires to give you all four banks. choose a bank before switching the box on, i got it to boot with no mod chip with both switches closed, then i opened both switches and flashed it with a 1mb bios i removed the a19 and a18 wires because they can cause a chip to overheat

forgot to mention (2) the reason i put it in the pc case was because the dvd rom was fubar and i couldn't fit a pc dvd-rom into the normal xbox case

Advertisement