Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland need a modern fighter Squadron?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by mycroft
    The counter terrorism argument is just daft, and no one on any other thread has come up with proof that fighter jets would be effective in a sept 11th type situation.

Agreed. The largest airforce in the world couldn't stop it from happening even though they had assets in the air at the time.

You do not fight terrorists with a (primarily) air-to-air platform.

I feel that Ireland needs a small force of lightly armed aircraft capable of intercepting aircraft from small private drug runners to fast foreign jets. Only as a means of forcing,if necessary, an aircraft to land at a specified location. Another possible use is the forcing of suspect ships to comply with orders. I feel that is the extent of which armed aircraft are needed in this country. F/A-18s would be nice, but I feel that such high-end jets are too expensive for the job they do. the PC-9s we're getting can do the air interception job to an extent, as they have a potential armament of Sidewinder Air-to-air missiles, guns, unguided rockets and (I think) unguided bombs. While they're not perfect (They'd struggle to try to catch up to airliner-type aircraft, max. speed of 300kts where most 'liners are about the 450-500 mark) They do some of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

small private drug runners

Sorry thats an ineffective method of dealing with drug runners.

Leaving aside my opinion on this countries drugs policies.

The cost effectiveness of using plans to stop "small" drugs ships isn't pratical.

If you're aware of a shipment entering the country intercept it at arrival. The likelyhood of happening on a drugs shipment during a a patrol is slim. The US and UK coastguard rarely make such seizures at sea, what makes you think we would?

Besides most drugs enter this country smuggled through legal channels, usually on car ferrys. Spend a fraction of the cost of the jets hiring more customs workers it'd be a much better use of the money
    fast foreign jets

You've pointed out these would struggle to even catch a passenger plane.
    They do some of the job.

What job?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK Enough of this. Closing this thread.

Gandalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement