Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card change help

Options
  • 18-02-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

I recently upgraded from a 32Mb GeForce 2 DDR card to a 128Mb GeForce 4 5200. It works fine but, after running MadOnion's WinMark 3D test, there is NO improvement! The old card scored 4160 points and the new one scored 4165.

Running Flight Simulator 2004, shows about a 1 fps increase. My PC is getting on (Athlone 650, 384Mb RAM) but I expected something more than this!.

Of course the drivers have been updated, but is there something I have overlooked? I know the AGPx1 bus is slower than newer PC's - but I expected a >20% improvement even still, given the card's significantly better spec.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

If the AGP bus is being maxed out it's impossible for your card to get a higher score cause it's not the promblem, it's the crappy AGP bus on your crappy old MB, a friend of mine has the same card you have OCed he can hit 9K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

AGP 1X is only 266MB/s - that is pure crap, your old card was probably maxing that out:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by b318isp
    (Athlone 650, 384Mb RAM) but I expected ..........

athlone :) tee hee

yup agp x1 is crap. also that card is no great shakes but you need a motherboard to take advantage of the high speeds its capable of, x4 and x8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Can't afford a change tho'. I got the card 2nd hand for €40 - but I can get this back. I'm try to nurse the PC for a while yet. I've put in a CD-RW, more RAM, 2nd hard disc, etc., to keep it going...I thought a I could get a bit more graphics power from an AGP card though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

so the other card was PCI? well then you should be seeing an improvement with the 5200.

does the mobo support x4. go to display -> properties settings tab -> advanced. then go to the tab that has a slider for agp speeds, if there is one.

you said you some new bits and pieces. most of these will be transferable if you get a new mobo. what one do you have now
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

No its an AGP card. The orginal card had no AGP slider, but I think the new one does. I'll check that - but the mobo is a Gateway Athlon so I wouldn't think it supports 4x/8x. It might support 2x tho' - I'll check that slider tonite.

I've posted a query re a mobo swap on the Technology forum to find more about that route.

Cheers!

Advertisement