Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Darkness

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Originally posted by isthisit
    when 'growin on me' came out i thought it was good but after i heard the rest of 'permission to land' i was left unimpressed. they are a joke band, and a bad one in my opinion. we need more real bands like oasis and the strokes.

isthisit.

Oasis!!! lol
    There one "real band" I'm glad to see the back of. Not really in the same league tallentwise in my opinion. The Darkness taking the piss out of themselves is far more entertaining, although Noel's attempts at solo's made me laugh. smiley36.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

'real band' and oasis' put together in a sentance? how could you? can I kill him or do you want him disgruntled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

What a load of ****e. It's always the same, ss soon as a rock band becomes successful they're accused of selling out and the backlash starts. Some of the people who liked them when they first heard them are now putting them down purely because they're liked by the mainstream.

Oasis a real band? ****ing right they are. Biggest British band of the nineties. Same bull**** again, just because they made it big time you have to put them down. So what if Noel can't play 60 notes a second, he writes great songs(or at least he used to), and his guitar playing compliments them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sorry. I think I've mistaken this for a forum where people are actually allowed express their opinions! If you don't want to hear those opinions, then you shouldn't have bothered coming here. Some people think The Darkness suck. Live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

i have one thing to say: CHEESE!

omg as soon as i saw the video to that christmas song.. i could practically smell the cheese being emitted from my TV

i don't like the darkness so it woudn't have made a difference to my opinion anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Stifler

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Nice panties.
    I agree that darkness have sold out a bit. The xmas thing was a bloody joke and I'm kinda glad they didnt get number one in some respects cause of it.

They're were taking the piss. they must realise it's a terrible song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

disgruntled,

so now a talentless joke band who are just taking the p*ss of the music industry is more entertaining than oasis? the gallagher brothers have made plenty of excellent albums and loads of great classic songs,(e.g. supersonic. live forever, dont look back in anger, d'you know what i mean? and i could go on).on the other hand the darkness have managed to make a few overrated and overplayed songs and a bad album too. and as for your comment about noels guitar solos, i coulds turn around and says the same about the darkness. i think they are quite dull and repeatitive guitarists anyway.

isthisit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

people .. we are losing the point of this thread.

THE THONG!!! its all about the thong!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I liked growing on me at first, but then they became popular and I heard all the songs on their album, so much around the place, I've become sick of them. It's not about selling out. lots of great bands have sold out, but I think the Darkness became too popular too fast. Their songs do get bad after a few listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Originally posted by isthisit
    disgruntled,

so now a talentless joke band who are just taking the p*ss of the music industry is more entertaining than oasis? the gallagher brothers have made plenty of excellent albums and loads of great classic songs,(e.g. supersonic. live forever, dont look back in anger, d'you know what i mean? and i could go on).on the other hand the darkness have managed to make a few overrated and overplayed songs and a bad album too. and as for your comment about noels guitar solos, i coulds turn around and says the same about the darkness. i think they are quite dull and repeatitive guitarists anyway.

isthisit

Sorry mate , gonna have to disagree with you there ... Noel Gallagher is NOT , I repeat NOT a good Lead player ..... The 2 lads outta The Darkness piss all over him .. IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Stifler

I like both oasis and darkness.
    oasis are pat it.
    darkness arent
    hawkins bros are better guitarists,although noel in fairness to him didnt try and **** all over the fret board

wiped
    i never said Noel was a great guitarist, jst that he is a great songwriter. all i said was the darkness aren't good guitarists. dull IMO

Ok I know people are never going to agree on this but like them or loath them the Darkness have brought something different to the festering heap of ineptitude and mediocrity that passes for music in the charts these days. I know what the Darkness do has all been done before, the influence of AC/DC in rhythm parts is clear to see and Justin’s solos are very obviously influenced by Brian May with the occasional Thin Lizzy esque twin guitar harmony. However as always the follow up album will be the big test. I think it’s great that people are being reintroduced to the electric guitar, think about it when was the last time you heard a proper guitar solo in mainstream music. As for Oasis, well I don’t think very much of them and I think the less I say about them the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

While the darkness started well with two strong singles, their last two offerings have been very poor. The xmas song and 'love is only a feeling'. You wouldn't expect these songs from a mediocre pop act.
    Noel Gallagher is chiefly a songwriter and as Oasis have become an established act our curiosity has been aroused by the fact that it is becoming a real band effort with songs from everyone.
    Oasis are evolving. They are not as much the anthemic feel-good band they once were. Even The Beatles had lost a considerable amount of fans by the white album, let it be and abbey road era. The no.1's weren't coming thick and fast anymore.

"'real band' and oasis' put together in a sentance? how could you? can I kill him or do you want him disgruntled?"

This kind of sh*t is what gives our argument all the more credibility and takes from yours as you are really not winning anyone over with rubbish statements like that.

I will admit however that the darkness have been victims of over-exposure.

I love The Darkness. They are a band who spent years playing ****ty gigs, (their first gig was at a funeral) and who have had the talent to go all the way. And going mainstream does not mean they've sold out. They just want to make some money and in my view they are entirely entitled to do so. Roll on July 10 or 11.

spending years doing sh*t gigis is not very good. they got mainstream now but aren't so talented really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

The Darkness i liked them when i believe in a thing called love came out but your mans voice has just got on my nerves now.

I can understand why Justin high-pitched vocals, the bands glam rock appearance and even to a certain extent their mainstream appeal would put some people off. That’s perfectly understandable, but to simply dismiss them as a joke band or whatever simply because they are fun is what bothers me. If they are fun, well then they are doing something which rock music has been deprived of for many years by numerous whinge bands. Just because music is fun does not necessarily make it bad. Music shouldn’t always be expected to cover your darkest moments, if something inspires reflection or whatever then that’s good and if it makes you laugh then that’s good too. I’m not saying that the Darkness are best band around at the moment and I admit what they do has all been done before. They are definitely the victims of over exposure and hype and now have a lot too prove. Personally I taught Permission to land was a great album and I think Justin at least is an accomplished musician and a talented lead guitarist. I’m not saying he’s Satriani but he isn’t bad. Anyway I think we are forgetting what this was originally about…………….. The Thong!!!!!! Personally I won’t be buying one, not really my thing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Originally posted by Darko
    I love The Darkness. They are a band who spent years playing ****ty gigs, (their first gig was at a funeral) and who have had the talent to go all the way. And going mainstream does not mean they've sold out. They just want to make some money and in my view they are entirely entitled to do so. Roll on July 10 or 11.

LMAO!!?!?! a funeral??? ... that has got to be a rumour?

can you really imagion the Darkness playing at a funeral!?!

... I really do like that thong.

LMAO!!?!?! a funeral??? ... that has got to be a rumour?

I read that it was a friends funeral. Must search for the article, I think I have it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by disgruntled
    I I’m not saying that the Darkness are best band around at the moment and I admit what they do has all been done before.

True, but that's not important. AC/DC have basically been playing the same three chord song for thirty years, and they still play at sold out gigs.

They're definately victims of overexposure. Bloody media stuffing stuf in our faces constantly. Sweet Child O' Mine is one of my favourite Guns'n'Roses songs, but last summer it got played so damn often I wanted to kill every radio dj that ever lived, and Guns'n'Roses with them. That didn't stop the song being excellent.

If you're sick of The Darkness, stop listening to the radio so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I quite like the Darkness myself, and I honestly can't see what the debate is!

They're just a fun retro-rocking band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by disgruntled
    I can understand why Justin high-pitched vocals, the bands glam rock appearance and even to a certain extent their mainstream appeal would put some people off. That’s perfectly understandable, but to simply dismiss them as a joke band or whatever simply because they are fun is what bothers me. If they are fun, well then they are doing something which rock music has been deprived of for many years by numerous whinge bands. Just because music is fun does not necessarily make it bad. Music shouldn’t always be expected to cover your darkest moments, if something inspires reflection or whatever then that’s good and if it makes you laugh then that’s good too. I’m not saying that the Darkness are best band around at the moment and I admit what they do has all been done before. They are definitely the victims of over exposure and hype and now have a lot too prove. Personally I taught Permission to land was a great album and I think Justin at least is an accomplished musician and a talented lead guitarist. I’m not saying he’s Satriani but he isn’t bad.

Fúckin' A man.

People shouldn't be taking them so seriously. It's just the first time rock has been so fun in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Gotta agree .... and their show in Vicar St was brilliant , tongue in cheek , rock cliche - Rocktastic !!!

I was the most entertaining gig I'd been to in a long long while ....

Advertisement