Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking ban to start on March 29

Options
  • 18-02-2004 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen on BreakingNews.ie, the date's been announced for the start of the ban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just say that myslef on Unison.

Let the fun begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does anyone on the boards work in a bar?? if so do you think it will be enforceable. I smoke but i wont mind going outside if i have to and any of my friends who smoke feel the same way.. i mean if its the law its the law. Do the health inspectors who will be policing this have set hours of work. i.e is it a 9 to 5 thing or could we be seeing them coming into a night club at 2.30 am??

I worked in one for 8 and a half years, and I don't think it will be enforceable with the policing measures that are in place

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The majority of people will obey it because they understand the concept of laws and being a citizen of the state that is upholding those laws. There will be, as ever, those who flaunt it and I can't see enough measures to deal with them. However, they will be in their minority and - in general - the air shall be cleaner for us. A good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

To be completely blunt about it: Most people will obey it, skangers won't.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ReefBreak

You calling 70-80 year olds who's only joy in life is a fag and a pint a Skanger?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by ReefBreak

sad but true ... just like on Dublin Bus, it is only the little (or big) skangers down the back of the bus puffing away, thinking they are sh*t hot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

in general - the air shall be cleaner for us.

Not by much in the greater scheme of things when you consider all the other crap your general lungful of "fresh" air contains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

I welcome it completely. This notion that it is anti-social is absurd. A good day for the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Kudos to the Minister, it was a tough job trying to get it this far, however some of the most difficult parts of this are yet to come. March 29th will need to be the date it at least nominally come in, otherwise in all likelyhood he will lose credibility if it keeps getting put off. In a lot of ways this issue is going to make or break Michael martins tenure in health. If he doesn't achieve this and gets reshuffled in the Summer people will ask, what did he achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by irish1
    I worked in one for 8 and a half years, and I don't think it will be enforceable with the policing measures that are in place

If they can stop people from bringing thier own cheap drink in and serving it to themselves they can stop the smokers from smoking inside the building.

Especially if it means they get whacked for a fine.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    If they can stop people from bringing thier own cheap drink in and serving it to themselves they can stop the smokers from smoking inside the building.

Especially if it means they get whacked for a fine.

Hold on there a minute, that happens very rarely.

Compare this

A young guy comes in on a sat night the pub is busy and I find him with naggan of drink, I ask him to leave he probably won't come back for a long time.

A man in his late 60's comes in every second night and smokes a fag, he has been doing that for the last 40 years of his life.

Now does your statement seem like a good comparison, I dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Not by much in the greater scheme of things when you consider all the other crap your general lungful of "fresh" air contains.

yeah the replacment menthol cigarettes campaign should be starting soon then.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by nesthead
    yeah the replacment menthol cigarettes campaign should be starting soon then.
    A fiver says it won't last a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

On the face of it it seems unenforceable, but when a Smoking Ban was introduced on the London Underground people surprisingly obeyed it and continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

March 29th eh? about damn time too.

i believe humans will obey it but as we all know, and as ReefBreak kindly pointed out, the Skanger sub-human race will not.

public floggings should be introduced for the Skanger race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Originally posted by Sparks
    . . . . the date's been announced for the start of the ban.

THANK GOD !!!! CELEBRATIONS !!!

I'm loking forward to spending more time in the pub without sucking up other people's cancer smooke and coming home stinnking of it !

Compliance ? A huge red herring. Publicans already enforce lots of rules like singing, drunkenness, roudiness etc. It their business so they have a responsibility, let them get on with it.

Clean air for all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Minister Martin's own words in his statement issued yesterday. Well, it certainly hasn't the "overwhelming support" of those most affected by the legislation -- ie., the publicans. Nor have I discerned any overwhelming support among the clientele of the pubs I frequent. Most would have tolerated a compromise of non-smoking sections but not a blanket ban. But then, Micheal Martin has a tendency to spin untruths into "facts" to suit his agenda.

The one thing he won't be able to duck though is the blatantly discriminatory aspect of his "Smoke-Free at Work" initiative. The exemptions as they stand include prisons, Garda Station detention careas, nursing homes, hospices, Religious order homes, psychiatric hospitals, maternity homes, hotel and guesthouse bedrooms, third level education residential facilities, etc, etc. A sizeable segment of the non-smoking working population will not "benefit" from the Act. So while a hotel barman can embrace the "healthiness" of a smokefree work environment, his colleague (the housekeeping/chambermaid) in the same hotel will not be as fortunate. Same workplace but different levels of consideration for the employees health. Barmy.

Make way for the raft of discrimination and conpensation claims to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Most pubs in the country don't close on time anyway, so how is this going to work? I mean, if the licensing laws are unenforced, how is this going to be different?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8

Minister Martin's own words in his statement issued yesterday. Well, it certainly hasn't the "overwhelming support" of those most affected by the legislation -- ie., the publicans. Nor have I discerned any overwhelming support among the clientele of the pubs I frequent. Most would have tolerated a compromise of non-smoking sections but not a blanket ban. But then, Micheal Martin has a tendency to spin untruths into "facts" to suit his agenda.

I think you are wrong . . .Judging by the reaction to this thread it seems that around 80% + of those who post on this board support the ban . . . .
    Among my own friends and colleagues the figure is similar if not higher . .
    A man in his late 60's comes in every second night and smokes a fag, he has been doing that for the last 40 years of his life.

Your concern for the pensioners is touching, however the indisputable evidence is that what you consider to be their "only joy in life" (which, by the way, is a little patronising) has a significant impact on those around him/her inhaling their second-hand smoke . . .

I don't think Michael Martin has spun this at all . . I think this is an extremely courageous move from him . .. fair play to him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by jerenaugrim
    Most pubs in the country don't close on time anyway, so how is this going to work? I mean, if the licensing laws are unenforced, how is this going to be different?:confused:

I think people are forgetting that a lot of non-smokers are going to be enforcing this law. If I was in a pub after the end of March and someone was smoking I would have no trouble going up and telling them to put it out, that they are breaking the law (and pissing me off). If they tell me to feck off I would complain to the bar staff, who should by law kick the person out if they won't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Compare this

A young guy comes in on a sat night the pub is busy and I find him with naggan of drink, I ask him to leave he probably won't come back for a long time.

Now does your statement seem like a good comparison, I dont think so!

Well, thats about the same as comparing a teenage joyrider and a man in his late 60s with failing eyesight insisting on continuing to drive after he's lost his license (from said failing eyesight) because he's been doing so for 40 years, and coming to the conclusion that revoking driving licenses because of failing eyesight is just unenforceable as a law.

So lets let all the blind old folks get back in their cars, because we can't actually enforce the law to stop them driving!!!!

Of course the smoking ban is enforceable....but given that many/most publicans oppose the smoking ban in the first place its only perfectly natural to expect them to play the "unenforceable" card for all its worth.

The enforced it in cinemas, despite insistance that was unenforceable too.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'd say it will be enforced easily enough, more to the fact (like was pointed out on the news last night) that Irish people will generally understand that the law is there and that it should be respected.
    One thing I can see happening though, and I've spoken to a few people and they're thinking the same, is people crowding at doors of pubs to smoke.
    I wonder what's going to happen in the likes of Temple Bar or pubs like O'Briens/Mercantile (just randomly picked, I don't frequent these places :)) which are totally packed at the weekend. Like, when people decided they need a smoke and the only place for them to go is out to the front of the pub what'll happen then? I'm sure by Midnight alot of people won't want to leave their pints down and pop outside, the pints will probably have to come too etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by David-[RLD]-
    March 29th eh? about damn time too.

i believe humans will obey it but as we all know, and as ReefBreak kindly pointed out, the Skanger sub-human race will not.

public floggings should be introduced for the Skanger race.
    Ah now, that's really harsh... How about crucifiction for any of them that step of line.

Originally posted by bonkey
    Well, thats about the same as comparing a teenage joyrider and a man in his late 60s with failing eyesight insisting on continuing to drive after he's lost his license (from said failing eyesight) because he's been doing so for 40 years, and coming to the conclusion that revoking driving licenses because of failing eyesight is just unenforceable as a law.

So lets let all the blind old folks get back in their cars, because we can't actually enforce the law to stop them driving!!!!

jc

How many guys in their late 60's loose thier licence because of bad eyesight compared to how many guys in their late 60's that smoke in pubs??

Find me a good comparison it your going to slate my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭purplemonkey

Can anyone explain to me how the gardai are going to enforce the ban on 70 yr. old fellas who have been smoking and drinking in their local pub down the back arse of the country for most of their lives? They won't be able to do it. The minister will fail again and all because he didn't consult the people before he made a decision that affected the whole country.

Originally posted by purplemonkey
    Can anyone explain to me how the gardai are going to enforce the ban on 70 yr. old fellas who have been smoking and drinking in their local pub down the back arse of the country for most of their lives?
    It's going to be the law, people can't just selectively obey laws.
    Their age shouldn't come into it, just because they've been doing something for years doesn't mean they can do it forever.

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    It's going to be the law, people can't just selectively obey laws.
    Their age shouldn't come into it, just because they've been doing something for years doesn't mean they can do it forever.

Yes but firstly it won't be the Garda who will enforce it, it will be the health board.

Secondly you can't just select a date and expect someone to change something they have been doing for their whole life.

It will take time and proper policing to stop

Secondly you can't just select a date and expect someone to change something they have been doing for their whole life.
    How much time do they need/is fair to give them?
    This has been talked about for a year now or more, and there's still another 5 weeks or so before it comes into effect.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    How much time do they need/is fair to give them?
    This has been talked about for a year now or more, and there's still another 5 weeks or so before it comes into effect.

They have been waiting for the gob****es to announce a date for a year, it was delayed due to the oversights in the legislation which had to be ammended.

I think there should be a 3 month phasing in period followed heavy fines policed by the GARDA

Advertisement