Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking ban to start on March 29

Options
167891012»

Comments

Linoge, You're a little late to be making comments on those statements. I was swayed by many posts to change my general attitude to the overall ban.

The Litter issue is a different thing entirely though.
    1) The irony of you telling me I have no right to tell you your rights.
    2) I only have my opinion. I never told you your rights.
    3) The smoking ban is "The Law". It is you that is arguing against it.
    4) You will only have stopped infringing on my rights on March 29th.
    5) The irony again.

The problem with commenting now is that the point has been blurred. Point 4. though. If i smoke after March 29th, THEN, i'd be infinging on your rights. Not before. So until the 29th, i'm free to smoke in any smoking designated zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by klaz
    The problem with commenting now is that the point has been blurred. Point 4. though. If i smoke after March 29th, THEN, i'd be infinging on your rights. Not before. So until the 29th, i'm free to smoke in any smoking designated zones.

Well, actually, thats not entirely true :)

The law is being changed to protect rights that it was not yet protecting.

So, prior to the 29th, you'd arguably be legally infringing on his rights. After the 29th, you'd be illegally infringing on his rights.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Originally posted by klaz
    Linoge, You're a little late to be making comments on those statements. I was swayed by many posts to change my general attitude to the overall ban.

The Litter issue is a different thing entirely though.

LOL, you never stop with the irony do you? Who's telling who's rights to who now?

And btw, this thread is about the smoking ban so anything I post with regard to the ban is acceptable at any time, not just when it suits you little Miss Moderator.

I have already apologised for swaying off the current point. You on the other hand have done worse {holds up the troll by it's hair}. You reply to every little post while at the same time not even fully reading them. I dont know how many times you have replied to my posts arguing completely different points to what I made (the deeper smoke thing springs to mind).

IMO, your attitude could have been "sawyed" a long time ago if you read the posts from the beginning of this thread and I mean read with the aim to understand them.

Linoge, a couple of points.

I am not nor have i ever been a mod here.

Who's telling who's rights to who now

Accepted. My apologies. However, it still stands that while in a smoking zone, prior to the 29th Ban it is acceptable to smoke.
    You on the other hand have done worse {holds up the troll by it's hair}.

I'm assuming you're accusing me of trolling? Grand. Well, i fall into the category that believes trolling is only in regards to inflaming comments. So, i wouldn't say my comments are trolling, especially since i have as many posts in this thread as you (roughly). Does that make you a troll also?
    You reply to every little post while at the same time not even fully reading them. I dont know how many times you have replied to my posts arguing completely different points to what I made (the deeper smoke thing springs to mind).

Lol. I could accuse you of the same thing. Perhaps i am misunderstanding your point. I thought i had replied to them sufficiently. guess not. And the deeper smoke thing is a comment i made abt teh smell of smoke in regards to carrying cig butts after a smoke.
    your attitude could have been "sawyed" a long time ago if you read the posts from the beginning of this thread and I mean read with the aim to understand them.

You're assuming that i didn't. You see. I'm a smoker. When i read this post i read as a smoker. You posted as a non-smoker. bound to be some misunderstandings.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Any feedback form anyone since the ban started ?

Would you share your experience : have you been to pubs/restaurants since the 29 th ? Is the ban working or are the smart a** keep smoking anyway ?

Where have you been experiencing the above ?

I suppose the real test is next friday night !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Jeff Bond
    Would you share your experience : have you been to pubs/restaurants since the 29 th ? Is the ban working or are the smart a** keep smoking anyway ?
    I was out in a pub last night. It was unusual not to have smoke everywhere. I didn't see anyone smoking while I was there, a few people went outside when they wanted one.
    The barman (who smokes) told me he was glad of it, as he'll smoke less and not have to breath in smoke for hours on end.
    Like you said, the weekend will be when the fun will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

I went out on Monday night for a few drinks with 3 smoker friends. All they did was moan and moan and moan about the government's "fascism". So the pleasure of drinking in a smoke free pub was more or else cancelled out by pathetic whinging.

went out on Monday night for a few drinks with 3 smoker friends. All they did was moan and moan and moan about the government's "fascism".

Go out with some .non-smoker friends then. Its understandable that smokers will complain somewhat for the first few weeks of the ban. God knows, we heard enough complains from the non-smokers prior to the ban.

For the first while, there will be some idioits who'll think it cool to break the ban. Once theres a few examples made of them, it'll settle down nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

I've been in a pub twice since the ban, and a small cafe that had a non-effective no-smoking area before. The strangest thing is how much you notice the absence of smoke; it certainly makes a pub seem like a different place.

I think it is a hugely positive step, and once most people (smokers and non-smokers alike) experience it for themselves they will see it in a similar light.

I was also speaking with a barman, and he said that while there were one or two complainers, for the most part everyone knew about it and just got on with it, smoking outside as necessary, etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Was out last night and it was great to only smell food in the air. It was pretty quiet so I guess the real measure will be this Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

i was out for one last night and it did seem quite different. My smoker friend tried to grift me into going to sit outside Bruxelles.
    Instead we went to O'Neills where it seemed like closing time. No haze around the lights and I didn't have to worry about fanning smoke away from me cause of inconsiderate bastards next to us.
    Lovely I say!
    Too bad I'm only going to be around here for another 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

apparently going good at home but I'll find out for myself when I have go to work Friday evening :dunno:

Advertisement