Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking ban to start on March 29

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Earthman
    Well you see theres the inconsistency.
    You posted
    And I clearly pointed out the meaning of what you posted.

Now care to show me which post I edited?

No No you quoted me as saying that, i.e you misquoted me.

I will say it again as well, they were not my words, I posted the damn link.

Originally posted by irish1
    No No you quoted me as saying that, i.e you misquoted me.

I will say it again as well, they were not my words, I posted the damn link.

I am now genuinely puzzled as to what you are saying to me.
    Are you suggesting that what one posts in a reply on Boards.ie is not what one is saying?

So basically posts by everybody are arbitrary and not related at all to the discussion ?
    What did you put the statement in your post for if you didn't agree with it or what was it doing there at all.
    Furthermore as this is a public discussion board, do you think that one can post and expect the content of the posts to go unchallenged?

The quote you used in your post outlined that the publican should have a set of guidelines in place that included disiplinery action against his staff if they do not take reasonable efforts to stop smoking in the pub.
    I merely pointed out the downright obvious inconsistency of posting that type of stuff in one post and posting that employee's shouldn't have to enforce the law in another post.

you have yet to address that inconsistency and indeed show me where I edited a post which I never edited.

It's really very simple earthman, You quoted me as saying something I didn't.

I posted that paragraph to show that if a publican used “all reasonable" measures he would be covered, but rather than nitpicking the article's paragraph, I posted it the whole Paragraph.

I always assume that if someone put's something quotes that they aren't saying they are quoting someone else.

Now can you understand that or do you want me to translate it to another language:confused:

I posted that paragraph to show that if a publican used “all reasonable" measures he would be covered, but rather than nitpicking the article's paragraph, I posted it the whole Paragraph.

jeeze, It took a lot of posts to get to here :D

You do realise that when using that as a source to back up your original point, it would have been perfectly valid of me to go to where you sourced it and use the rest of it to demolish the point you were using it for though don't you?

For that reason regardless of whether you had intended to put it in it's entirety, in your post or not, your logic at that point in our discussion would have been and is entirely defeated by it and not by me as such.
    I always assume that if someone put's something quotes that they aren't saying they are quoting someone else.

Well....
    As I understand it, if you quote something within your post from an external source to support your argument then that quotation is forming part of your argument.
    Thats what you were doing and unfortunately in this case, the quotation you were using was doing the exact opposite and providing the inconsistency.

I think I can see where you are coming from now ( :p ) but I hope you understand where I am coming from also.

I think I can see where you are coming from now ( :p ) but I hope you understand where I am coming from also.

THANK GOD.

Yes Earthman I undersatand, where your coming from, just as long as you understand where I'm coming from.

God that took a lot of energy, maybe I should go do some work now.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Basically yes, it is the job of the pub staff t make sure that the law is complied with. That is their job. It has been in the past and will continue to be so.

Breakage of the law will endanger the license, as well as infringements on individual cases.

If I walk into a pub and anyone is smoking I will immediately complain and then complain the Gardai he next day and make sure it stands against their license. I know many others who fully intend to do the same.

We need to rid all of these places of this scurge of cancer smoke so that we can breath clean air - a primary human right.

Puiblicans beware !

Originally posted by chill
    Basically yes, it is the job of the pub staff t make sure that the law is complied with. That is their job. It has been in the past and will continue to be so.

No it's not!. The law inforcers of this country are the Gardai.

Why should someone who's working on low wages to get by have to enforce the law?? They should report the people to the authorities which in this case is the health board, but it's not there job to enforce it

No it's not!. The law inforcers of this country are the Gardai.

Why should someone who's working on low wages to get by have to enforce the law?? They should report the people to the authorities which in this case is the health board, but it's not there job to enforce it
    sigh... are we back to this again...
    The bar staff enforce the law of the land when they throw you out at closing time.
    They do that every night except on december 25th and on Good Friday.
    They will also be enforcing the law when after a lecture from their boss (whose pockets have been emptied by a few smoking ban fines) and throw out those who insist on smoking.

I'm not saying it's nice, but thats the way this law is meant to make it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by Sparks
    From breakingnews.ie, and the Jackie-Healy Rae fanclub....

quote:Publicans in Kerry are considering defying the Government’s workplace smoking ban when it comes into force on March 29.

The Kerry branch of the Vintners Federation of Ireland met last night to discuss the matter.

The meeting heard calls for publicans to take a collective decision to defy the smoking ban.

Other VFI branches are expected to hear similar calls at meetings over the coming weeks

*sigh*

There are days that I'm not too impressed with my countymen...

I wonder if they are all going to be arrested and a "fast track" court set up to make sure they get prosecuted as quickly as possible? Sound familiar?

The bar staff enforce the law of the land when they throw you out at closing time.
    They will also be enforcing the law when after a lecture from their boss (whose pockets have been emptied by a few smoking ban fines) and throw out those who insist on smoking.

I'm not saying it's nice, but thats the way this law is meant to make it happen.

That's what I've been thinking after reading this whole back and forth.
    When's the last time you told a bouncer to FO when he told you to drink up and leave at closing time? When's the last time you told a bouncer to FO at all and what happened?
    All the VFI arguments are PR spin. They are worried about profits not anything else. Of course their insane inflation of drink prices has been the single largest contributor to loss of sales. They did it to themselves. Screw em!
    A day will come when people stop leaving their goddamn empty cigarrette boxes and wrappers behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And before you get on the "talking about banning smoking altogether" buzz you were throwing around a post or two ago,

That's actually not what I'm implying at all, nor was I was discussing banning smoking altogether.

Yes but the Bar staff only ask, they can't force you, very often the Garda have to come and clear the pubs.

Yes but the Bar staff only ask, they can't force you, very often the Garda have to come and clear the pubs.
    With respect, if someone is physically forced out of a pub, ie they don't go when asked, they can be and usually are barred.
    Are you saying that a barman or other bar staff cannot throw people out of a pub routinely without calling the guards...
    That is nonsense.

Have you heard of bouncers? Perhaps there are none in Carlow:rolleyes:

With respect, if someone is physically forced out of a pub, ie they don't go when asked, they can be and usually are barred.
    Are you saying that a barman or other bar staff cannot throw people out of a pub routinely without calling the guards...
    That is nonsense.

Have you heard of bouncers? Perhaps there are none in Carlow:rolleyes:

Not in the pubs in Tullow there ain't, theres 13 pubs and only on a sat night is their bouncers and thats only in 2 pubs!!!

Not in the pubs in Tullow there ain't, theres 13 pubs and only on a sat night is their bouncers and thats only in 2 pubs!!!

NO BOUNCERS!?!?!......MY GOD MAN, that's paradise! That's IT! I'm moving to Tullow. :D

They throw people out of the pubs though don't they.

Calling the Guards to eject people is in fact a rare enough event.

And don't even try to tell me it isn't, lest you are trying to tell me guards are enforcing the closing times in every pub, one at each pubs door.
    They are not, the publicans and their staff are as you well know.
    For sure there are lock - ins ie the door is shut and some patrons keep on drinking after hours from time to time at the publicans risk... but I doubt there'll be too many smoke-ins.

From anecdotal evidence and including reactions here on boards.ie,other customers will be giving the publicans a hand at enforcing this law aswell.

They throw people out of the pubs though don't they.

Calling the Guards to eject people is in fact a rare enough event.

And don't even try to tell me it isn't, lest you are trying to tell me guards are enforcing the closing times in every pub, one at each pubs door.
    They are not, the publicans and their staff are as you well know.
    For sure there are lock - ins ie the door is shut and some patrons keep on drinking after hours from time to time at the publicans risk... but I doubt there'll be too many smoke-ins.

From anecdotal evidence and including reactions here on boards.ie,other customers will be giving the publicans a hand at enforcing this law aswell.

Closing hours are a bit of a joke in Tullow actually, not reguraly inforced at all, the only time a pub is emptied on time is when the Gardai emptys it, which is very very rare

Closing hours are a bit of a joke in Tullow actually, not reguraly inforced at all, the only time a pub is emptied on time is when the Gardai emptys it, which is very very rare

All pubs in Tullow regularlly flout the licencing laws-I see...

All pubs in Tullow regularlly flout the licencing laws-I see...

They certainly do

Originally posted by sovtek
    NO BOUNCERS!?!?!......MY GOD MAN, that's paradise! That's IT! I'm moving to Tullow. :D
    I wouldn't if I were you...
    It's a dangerous spot...

• Advertisement

I wouldn't if I were you...
    It's a dangerous spot...

lol Now I can't let you tar tullow with that brush, there is 13 pubs in teh town and that was 1 incident in 1 pub, where are you from, paradise??

I'm only joking by the way, don't take me too serious.

That incident was commited by a member of the travelling community who returned to the UK the next day, just to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

The ban is a joke and will never work, too many pubs and not enough isnpectors.

Joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Originally posted by hannable80

Joke!

yeah, yeah , yeah, yada, yada, yada.
    Have you read any of this thread before you made the above insightfull comment:rolleyes:

How come nobody smokes in cinema's then?

Honestly give up before you start, eh?

Then nothing would work.
    It's clear to me that publicans worry about their pockets, and a few fines will soon sort out their love of the smoke.
    This smoking ban is a brilliant idea and I can't wait for it to come in.
    I'll tell ya one thing, my self and a few of my mates who are now all non smokers won't be long about telling the smokers to put out their fags!

Originally posted by Rock Climber
    I'll tell ya one thing, my self and a few of my mates who are now all non smokers won't be long about telling the smokers to put out their fags!

Good luck with that.

Just to point out btw I don't think you will see too many publicans being fined, it mostly be the offenders!

Good luck with that.

Just to point out btw I don't think you will see too many publicans being fined, it mostly be the offenders!
    On what do you base that assertion-have you a crystal ball?

The law provides for substantial fines for the publicans upon infringement.

On what do you base that assertion-have you a crystal ball?

The law provides for substantial fines for the publicans upon infringement.

Just my thoughts, no facts to base it on, other than a few conversations with Publicans and members of the Gardai.

well we'll wait and see so.

/ no more to add

/ no more to add

Really ?? even if I post that the ban won't work!

Oh buzzing man, it was nice to have such a long debate without it getting personal.

Take Care:)

Oh yes they can. It is private property and they are the agents of the owners.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by hannable80

Joke!

Huh ? Inspectors ? Inspectors for what ? Every pub will be filled with people that will report ANY smoking !

Advertisement