Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received my Iriver ihp-120 mp3 player today

• 18-02-2004 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

And would just like to tell everyone thinking of getting one to just go get one. Its the best one around and its going for a pretty good price on amazon.co.uk and is well worth it. Its such a slick kit...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

any more feedback on this?
    easy to setup?
    build quality?
    sound quality?

i'm thinking of getting the -140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Its rock solid. Really well built. Very strong, mind u i dont want to drop it as its basically a hard drive but ye its really cool. If i was to be a bitchy old woman and find something to complain about, its the size. Id like it smaller. But thats something time can only do. Its not awkward or anything at all. Its way handier than having a diskman. It feels secure and you can go to the gym with it or whatever. Great device. best one on the market now. I was going for the ihp-140 but i dont need it. 20 gig is fine. Will last me until a newer smaller better one if there is such a thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hey Ronaldo7! congrats! i remember you saying that you ordered one and you were waiting for it! how's the color is it ok? and what is the carry case like? remember i said there are 2 kinds!

got pictures?

The colour is silver. Looks slick.

The colour of the case is black and made of leather. Doesnt look any way near as slick in the covering but hey it proects it and does a great job.

If you really want pictures, nag me again and ill take some...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Pictures, now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Can it encode from the FM tuner?
    Can you manipulate playlists on the deice itself?
    Can it be used as standard removable USB storage on Win32/Linux? (ie no custom/proprietary software or drivers need be installed, essentially a USB hard drive)
    Does it have Ogg Vorbis and/or FLAC support yet?
    What's battery life like at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

No you can't record from the FM tuner. This is the main reason I didn't shell out for one. Not sure about the playlists but yes to everything else.

Ronaldo7 LOL! PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

SyxPak:

1. No (sucks!)
    2. i think yes
    3. Yes
    4. there was some rumors about that, iRiver is working on it, so Yes
    5. i think like 14-16 hours

I'll consider it.
    FM recording isn't a major worry for me, maybe in a future firmware ? :)
    I was considering the iFP-195TC a while back.

14-16hours is very very long for a hdd device tbh.

RE: The playlist editing, I heard somewhere that it couldn't, but I'd like to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd get the 10gig version cos I'd probably fill half of it at most with what I have at home, but the 30gig Creative Zen is €50 cheaper. What's better about the iRiver?

• Advertisement

1. it's not made by Creative

2. Apparently longer battery life

3. Available in a nice black trim if you order from the yank site + the weak dollar atm

4. It supports more formats than the Zen

5. It has a remote control

6. it's different

It does support Ogg vorbis which is SO handy.

I was going to order from the American site too or get my friend to get it for me, but the fm tuner is out of sync(if that makes sense) because there on a different frequency therefore eliminating fm radio for use over here.

I think the battery life is 16 hours as described by Iriver but mine has only run out today and its been used for 3 hours every day since ive bought it so ye 16 - 18 would be more accurate. Very impressed with that feature.

In a perfect world, i would make it smaller and probably have it in metallic blue colour but hey...its slick as it is.

Ok ok, ill take some pics tonight. :) *bastards* jus playing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SyxPak
    1. it's not made by Creative

2. Apparently longer battery life

3. Available in a nice black trim if you order from the yank site + the weak dollar atm

4. It supports more formats than the Zen

5. It has a remote control

6. it's different
    Ah I see, I'm not a format junkie, mp3 and sometimes wma is all I use. I don't mind buying Creative products, they've served me well in the past.

Longer battery life might be useful though, and I'll check what the story is with the price from the U.S. site. Cheers John.

erm one big advantage of Creative Zen - *whispers*don't tell this to Ronaldo *whispers*Creative Zen has much better sound quality

but feature wise nothing and i mean nothing beats IHP!

if you want something small get Rio Karma it's full of features like IHP and is smaller, but i don't like it's shape to be honest

Can it be used as standard removable USB storage on Win32/Linux? (ie no custom/proprietary software or drivers need be installed, essentially a USB hard drive)

Ye. it works as storage. When its connected to your pc, it acts as a hard drive. So you can create new folders etc etc, whatever you do normally, you can do on this drive. I tend to instead of making playlists, get the songs i want, put them in a folder on the drive, and then sort them out like which one i want played first etc and it saves them in that layout which is cool.

erm one big advantage of Creative Zen - *whispers*don't tell this to Ronaldo *whispers*Creative Zen has much better sound quality

BUL****!!!!!! :)

My mate has a creative zen xtra and the only way it beats the iriver for sound quality is if you use the ****ty headphones supplied with the iriver. But anyone who is a fan of what they listen to will surely get some proper bo headphones to use and set up the EX/SRS settings and get the bass adjusted, this beast aint gonna lose. It even whips my net mini disc too.

*if you think im lieing, google is your friend...* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

presumably, when this is being used as storage it is usb powered, and also i presume u can use say 15 gbs for storage without affecting the other 5 gbs with mp3s on it?.

what about random/shuffle. if you have loads of files on it. does it affect randomly playing mp3s

whosurpaddy,

no. You set the random/shuffle for each individual folder if u want/or u can have it random/shuffle every file in every folder. You choose. It asks you if you want to have it applied for every folder/directory etc or just individual folders.

And yes you can have say 5 gigs of mp3's and then 15 for storage if u want....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

A couple of other things to know:

- The long battery life is only for playback of MP3s (essentially, it reads in the whole MP3 into RAM and turns off the hard drive for the duration). Recording gives about 2 hours of battery life.

- The output level is really good (about 20 mW); most devices are in the 1-5 range. So, you can get good volume without having to turn it up so loud it distorts.

- The number of input/output ports is very impressive: headphone/line out; internal mic; external mic in; optical out; optical in. The only thing missing is a tiny built in speaker, which would be useful for quickly checking recordings.

- It comes with a nifty little clip-on lapel external mic for voice recording - sounds much better than the built in mic, because there is no background hard drive noise.

Basically, it's a really nice little unit.

Recording gives about 2 hours of battery life.

But they do say always use the power adaptor when recording...

• Advertisement

Ronaldo, do yourself a favour and get Senns MX500 or IF! you want a quality! and I mean QUALITY! get Etymotic ER-4P

http://www.beststuff.com/articles/1358/
    http://www.epinions.com/content_64383585924
    http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/etymotic-earphones-review.html

oh my god that is a crazy amount to pay for headphones...

yep :) but when you listen to those, you'll understand they are worth every penny you paid for them!

i'm getting those and Creative MuVo TX

crazy maaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

i've had one of these for about a month now and on the whole i'm impressed, one or two annoying things though:

- As far as i know, it doesnt harge from the USB port when connected (well, my battery drains fairly quickly when i plug it in as opposed to when its playing), could jsut be cos its the USB on my laptop though.

- Cant use the shuffle function with playlists - so i can reate a playlist with 50 songs i like, but have to listen to them in the order they're in the playlist.
    Someone mentioned a good workaround for this is to put the MP3s you want in a seperate folder and shuffle-play that folder only, but then you have duplicated MP3s on the thing.

- The remote takes a little getting used to, many a time have i skipped song instead of putting the volume up, i KNOW theres only one jogdial on one side and that its the volume, but when fumbling for it i often hit the next, or next folder button instead.

- No recording from radio, not a HUGE deal but it would have been nice.

- There's no crossfading, so theres some rather noticeable gaps sometimes.

Otherwise i like i it a lot, the playlist support on my Zen NX was better, but i prefer the mass storage support overall, my Zen didnt like Sigur Ros' latest album with all the untitled tracks, all the ID3 tags said "()" as the song name and it borked on that, didnt like any songs with the same name either, the iRiver doesnt have that problem.

Advertisement