Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whos still on Netsource?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Still with netsource. Have a LOS/install booked with IBB though. If it works out I'll be jumping ship for obvious reasons. If not I'll be staying put, and possibly upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Still with Netsource and now very happy, but I'm looking into buying my own flat soon and will have to start cutting costs! so I may not move my netsource account to the new place when I get it.
    (who would have thought buying a flat could be so expensive :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm still with Netsource. The pings aren't great for dsl really, but when I want good pings I use an Eircom Radsl line anyway. Overall, Netsource are okay, but if I ever receive a letter regarding caps or throttling, I'll leave them straight away.

They also better make a counter offer to Eircoms recent price drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by JohnK
    I'm still on netsource :cool:

Same here and am failrly happy with it.

would rather the 4MBit cable service in Longford/Dungravan but we cannot have everything.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Still on Netsource here. No problems so far. Though I do download a fair bit a month approx 10gbs so I don't really have an alternative.

In saying that e66.50 is a bit rough! Especially with the domain name ~e14 squid on top. Which i don't bother to use. :S

ambrose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I'm still with Netsource. The pings aren't great for dsl really, but when I want good pings I use an Eircom Radsl line anyway.

....Netsource is an Eircom RADSL line.
    In fact, compared to the "standard" Eircom package, it has lower interleaving.

Syxpak,

I have both and they perform differently.

Eircom RADSL pings ~19ms (very regular)
    Netsource RADSL pings ~25-40 (prone to spikes)

Eircom RADSL download speed 55-60
    Netsource RADSL download speed ~50

I know what the reality is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I'm told both Netsource and esat will be anouncing their new pricing on Monday.
    Can you believe a word either says though :) (No cap/no limits) sound eerily alike.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Originally posted by Robbo
    there is no rationale in complaining when the T&C's always contain the "All your base are belong to us" clause, whereby the terms of service can be varied without consent or penalty.

Illegal and has no substance in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I'm told both Netsource and esat will be anouncing their new pricing on Monday.

Who told you that? Netsource told me they wouldnt be doing anything until end of march maybe later. I'd so like an uncapped service even if I have have to pay an extra little bit.

• Advertisement

A friend called them and said he didnt want their expensive domain name anymore if he was going to keep the service and they told him that they would be reducing their prices on Monday.
    Then he called ESAT and complained about their prices and they said the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

10 euro ex vat a month for a domain name is abit unreal since u can get em for 8 euro a year. did anyone look into the contract to see if you can transfer the domain to another hosting company?

I had paid for the full year on my home connection and will be going elsewhere when that is up, no matter what their prices are.
    I would imagine though that you can cancel your domain name at any time with 2 months notice and they dont really have a leg to stand on.
    Then again it is Netsource we're talking about and what you see is not really what you get in their case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

in the netsource support pages it says business broadband soho users will have a contention ratio of 24:1 from march 1st. will i notice the advantage of new contention in future when dsl lines are at full capcity? by the way, will residential customers be able to connect to these MANs they are building at the moment and if so how will they be connected to it ?

I think a price drop is what Netsource need to do.
    They are outrageously expensive (€66 pm) and the only advantage they have is that they have double the cap of Eircom etcs cheapest RADSL packages.
    Contention ratios are going to drop accross the board and i imagine caps will go up.
    Its probably a consequence of Eircoms changing package rather than direct action by netsource that the contention ratio will drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Originally posted by mayto
    in the netsource support pages it says business broadband soho users will have a contention ratio of 24:1 from march 1st. will i notice the advantage of new contention in future when dsl lines are at full capcity? by the way, will residential customers be able to connect to these MANs they are building at the moment and if so how will they be connected to it ?

If I haven't read your post I will have never knew about that!!
    Why didn't they tell that to their customers?!

I guess that means we can't expect a drop in the price now.

By the way, can you really see the difference between 48:1 and 24:1?
    I never experienced slow connections so I think my exchange is not overloaded... and that this 24:1 wouldn't change my life.
    I wouldn't mind 1024 instead of 512!... :D

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Does the change to 24:1 content mean that the cap will be gone??? It does say that some customers are able to change back to the 48:1 if they want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im on eircom 24:1 now i think and havent noticed any difference with the lower contention ratio, pings and download exactly the same, our exchange was new anyway so the 48:1 contention was mostly empty.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

What I'm wondering is, has the upgrade by eircom on the business deal changed its pings, ie. has the interleaving been lowered?

Tazzle, I should know in a few days.

• Advertisement

Actually the upgrade happened last night, so our 2m/bit line has the following ping times :

Z:\>ping www.eircom.net

Pinging home.eircom.net [159.134.198.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=60
    Reply from 159.134.198.138: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 48ms

Z:\>

Advertisement