Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Card

• 18-02-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying one of these for my Eircom BB (I'm currently using USB), Can anybody recommend a cheap one?

..and maybe one you can get from Peats?

Cheers

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

A network card is a network card. I've never come across one that performed any differently from any other. I've bought both the D-Link and Intellinet cards that they sell in Peats. Both are just under €20 and neither have ever given me any problems. The only real difference between them is that the D-Link has Wake-on-Lan, which lets you power up your machine remotely. But you need a motherboard that supports this, and seeing that you're gonna be using it to connect to a modem and not a LAN it won't work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

considaring its just for your internet, theres no need to go for a gigabit one, so basicaly, whatevers the cheapest card you can find, get it. There're all the same really, except for speed. And the slowest one is still 20xfaster than most peoples broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

White box in Maplin, its a realtek and only €16 (last time i bought some).

By the way does your eircom BB modem support ethernet? If not you would need a new modem too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=4997&type=6&sid=612311x10

so this one would be fine then?

Yeah, I have the Netopia which supports USB and Ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

find an old pc and take the network card out of it. they either work or they don't. waste of money buying one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

get a 3com 905cTX-M off www.komlett.ie for about €33
    They're quality and cheap.
    RealTek's are pretty shit tbh.

you're looking at 70-80Mbit actual throughput compared to 20-30Mbit.
    Obviously your broadband connection is only half a megabit, but you'll still feel happier with the better card, especially as they're dirt cheap.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

RealTek 100mbit cards only get about 20-30mbit throughput whereas 3com can do 70-80?

Advertisement