Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic DVD-Recorder at Peats

Options
  • 18-02-2004 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

I bought the Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder at Peats, where it's advertised as a Progressive Scan recorder. But reading through the stuff that came with it I can't find any mention of progressive scan. So I rang Panasonic and they say that model is not progressive scan.

Has anyone else bought this thing and did they try it with a progressive scan set? I haven't got such a TV and can't check for myself but I'd like a recorder that can do it for future use. And PS DVD players should come with component outputs, shouldn't they? This one doesn't have any.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

1. Have found Peats to be very reputable so even if there is a problem I would be surprised if they didn't respond well.
    2. Their website this evening describes the DMR-E50 as Progressive Scan.
    3.Now the bad news - the www.panasonic.co.uk website shows the spec for the DMR-E50 but makes no mention of progressive scan - maybe I can't see it (I word searched the whole page !)

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorder/dmre50ebs/index.htm

I suggest you contact Peats as this is a fairly straightforward matter

Rgds
    Buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

It does NTSC (American equivelent of our PAL tv system) progressive scan. So if you buy any american Region1 discs they would play in Prog scan if you have have your player connected by component inputs to a display device capable of displaying NTSC prog scan. Most TV's aren't most plasmas and projectors are. This model does not ouput Pal Progrssive as far as I know. PAL prog was only sanctioned by the DVD forum late last year so most players/recorder on the released up till then/now do not do PAL prog. Most models released from here on in probably will incorporate it, though you'll still need to connect via component to a suitable display device with component inputs. The follow up to this model the E-55 will have PAL prog.
    Best conection available to you with your E50 is Scart RGB.

Doubt Peats will exchange the recorder for you. Unless you specifically asked about Prog scan and they told you it had either PAL prog or they told you it was NTSC prog scan but also told you, you needed a suitable display and component cables......unless they told you this then they have not mislead you in any way. The part of consumer law about 'goods should be suitable for the purpose' only comes into play as I said, if they lied and said the player did Pal Prog or they told you NTSC Prog would work on your ordinary Irish tv. Other than that they are under no obligation to change the recorder and you will have to rely on their goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Right. Thanks for the information. I'm not sure about them having no obligation to refund or replace though. The title they gave the item was "...with Progressive Scan." It doesn't get any plainer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sorry combs, I just re-read your post. Your right. Whats the point in them advertising Prog scan when its only the us model that has it which was not what they were selling. Tell them you want an E55 in replacement! (think they go on sale in a month or so.)

Yeah, I looked up the E55 and it's set for a February/March release. I'd hardly get away with asking for an E55, though it might be worth a try. That's the trouble - I don't have any major problem with the recorder apart from that. I still want a DVD player/recorder but it's a disappointment to know I'll have to change it for a progressive model in the future: I like the look of the Panasonic progressive TVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

I bought the DMR-E50 from Peats at christmas. First thing I noticed when I got it home was that the built-in tuner wouldn't tune most NTL cable channels. When I checked it out I realised that it was a UK model and couldn't tune in VHF signals. When I rang peats they said that somebody should have metioned that when I bought it and there was nothing they could do.

Now that I realise it can't output PAL progressive (I've just got a 42" plasma monitor) I'm really annoyed.

UK tuner and US progressive scan - grrr!

Peats aren't on my preferred suppliers list.

Are you going to see what they'll do about the Progressive Scan problem?

And I don't think it'll do NTSC progressive either. If it did I wouldn't mind too much since I could look for a TV that does NTSC progressive.

To be honest Combs I doubt it. I actually really like the unit, and in particular the DVD-RAM functionality, I just would have liked to have known *before* I bought it that its tuner was usless and that the progressive output wasn't as advertised. I suppose I feel a little ripped off but I don't want to return the unit. Now I'm feeling guilty for bitching Peats when I haven't actually tried to get them to do something about it.....then again they should be careful about their description of the product.

That's the thing for me too - I'm happy with it otherwise. I probably have grounds to do something about it but it doesn't seem worth it. Sometimes it's hard being a reluctant consumer.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by atgate
    I bought the DMR-E50 from Peats at christmas. First thing I noticed when I got it home was that the built-in tuner wouldn't tune most NTL cable channels. When I checked it out I realised that it was a UK model and couldn't tune in VHF signals. When I rang peats they said that somebody should have metioned that when I bought it and there was nothing they could do.

Hmm, I would have thought you would be well within your rights to get it replaced or refunded as it doens't do what it is supposed to do. Lack of VHF is a very big flaw, and if it wasn't mentioned to you, it's entirely their fault I would think.

• Advertisement

I know Byte, and I'm sure that Peats would do this for me (I doubt they would have a choice) the problem is there is no similar model available (with DVD-RAM) in the same price bracket....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah I see.

I guess you could get a VHF-UHF Convertor. Peats have 2 to choose from, ranging from €77 for the Televertor to €99 for the Labgear Converter! Their results can vary but (especially if there are many VHF channels being converted where you may get cross modulation problems).

Advertisement