Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age to buy a pup !

• 18-02-2004 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Whats the best age to get a pup.
    I have seen some Kerry Blue pups
    advertised at 12 wks and was wondering how
    big they would be at this age etc.

Would they be fit to be on there own at this stage ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Enilorac

At 12 weeks they should be more than ready to go to their new homes. Maybe, too, at this age, the breeder might have done all the vaccinations for you...they *should* at least have had their first set (of two). it's more normal to let pups go to their new homes between 8 & 12 weeks of age...so query why they have not been let go earlier...

Promise me one thing though, please? Don't pick the first cute KB pup you see. Do research on the breed, and get some info on reputable, responsible breeders. Make sure it is definitely the breed you want. If you're told the pup is IKC reg, don't believe it, phone the IKC and confirm it! Some dis-reputable breeders will advertise they're pups as IKC reg, but offer various explanations as to why you can't actually have the paperwork when you go to pick the pup up. Ask to see their reg cert, or at least the reg receipt when you view the pups. tell the breeder you want to check the pup's pedigree...
    Also, some KB's can tend to be aggressive....and all will be very energetic....make sure this is the breed you want.

As for size, I do not breed them, and would have no idea what size they're likely to be at that age...why does 12-week size matter...they're going to get bigger anyway! :o)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Unless he's trying to post the puppies!

Advertisement