Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths question... (Sequences and series)

Options
  • 18-02-2004 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

the actual 1994 paper (not any of the samples), paper 1, question 4 b(i).

The sum of the first n terms of a series is given by n(n-1). Write Un in terms of n.

I presumed that Sn - S(n-1) = Un. Doing that i got an answer of (2n-1).

BUT, if do this: S(n+1) - Sn i get an answer of (2n).

Shouldn't both of these give the same answer? And which is the corrent answer, and why is one wrong?

EDIT: Either way (whether i use (2n) or (2n-1), when i work out the answer for b(ii) i get 16 as the answer. And i should get 0.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Its ok, i figured it.

For part (i), when i did the Sn - S(n-1), that was the right way. That gave me Un.

When i did it the other way, i got U(n+1).

As for part (ii), i give up. I assume the papers must be wrong again. I keep getting 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jackwalli

Mutant_Fruit - I've done part (ii) out and i got 16 too, here are my workings:

Un = 2n – 2
    U(n+1) = 2(n+1) – 2 = 2n
    U(n+2) = 2(n+2) – 2 = 2n + 2
    U(n+3) = 2(n+3) – 2 = 2n + 4

[U(n+3)]^2 - [U(n+1)]^2 - [U(n+2)^2 – (Un)^2]
    = 4n^2 + 16 + 16n – 4n^2 – 4n^2 – 8n – 4 + 4n^2 – 8n + 4
    = 16n + 16 – 16m
    = 16

Educational Company seem to love teasing us with the wrong answers in the back of the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Yes the answer is 16 those smegheads got it wrong again.

Advertisement