Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton: One step foward, two steps back?

• 18-02-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well with the crap below them they should be ok this year.
    Luckily, they've won the games against Leeds,Wolves, Leicester and Portsmouth
    though they still have away games against 3 of them.

Lack of funds is a problem. Moyes was only given around £5million for this season and isn't likely to get much more this summer. Cashing in on Rooney is a rumour and i hope thats all it will be.

Hmmm, clouded this clubs future is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I thhink everton over-achieved last season, and the fans expectations were unrealistic this season.

The fact is moyes has had to manage on scraps, and the clubs finances seem to be weak at best.

As for selling rooney, look at the long term picture.

As an England international, he will want to pley European football regularly.
    He wont get that at Everton.

So the way i see it, is Everton either get some money from selling him, which they can invest in the team, or lose him for nothing next year!

It doent take a business degree to see which is better for a club with financial problems.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

how can a team over-achieve? Dont they usually end-up where they deserve based on performances made.. granted they did better than previous seasons, but this doesnt mean that they over-achieved... they finished where they deserved to finish...

This season they arent having such a good run... they should have tried to get some more funds together in the summer and buy a couple of good midfielders to bulk up the midfield... The problem with centre midfield is that they are too attacking.. gravesen, li tie etc.. though tie hasnt featured much this season... the need a good roy keane style player.. its a pity that sean davis got injured at the time he was about to sign from fulham.. he would have been perfect....

The poor run has been mainly since xmas, with scoring being the major problem.. loosing yobo for a month didnt help as well... evertons problems isnt with the 'big' teams when they play them.. its with the teams that they should beat they loose to.. dont know why... but they do.. this is where they have to be more clinical....

Moyes will re-assess his squad strength in the summer, when Paul Gerrard, Scot Gemmill, Steve Simonsen, Peter Clarke and Niclas Alexandersson are all out of contract.... in my opinion, good ridence to the lot.. apart from Peter Clarke who looks like a promising centre-half...

As for the rooney issue... in my honest opinion, i dont think he'll leave.. he has until the end of the 2005/2006 season on his current contact so there is no issue of him leaving on a free transfer.. that wont happen...

No matter how much money they get for him, they wont sell... players like rooney only come along every so often.. everton wont let him slip through their fingers... it helps that he is an evertonian as well who actually plays for the shirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Do you agree a team can under achieve? Its pretty universally accepted they can!
    So of course a team can over achieve!

If all your players play out of their skins, confidance soars, and you go on a run, and you have a bit of luck, then you have the recipe for over achieving!

However that is not sustainable season after season!

An example this year would be Charlton. They are not a poor side, but man for man the likes of Newcastle or Liverpool, or even Spurs are better.
    Yet they had fourth spot, until the last coupkle of weeks!

Getting back to everton, did you honestly think Rooney would never have a barren spell, and they'ed keep scoing last minute winners?

As fo hanging on to Rooney, if he wants to keep his England spot, he will have to be playing European football. In the end he may love it at Everton, but if he has high personal ambition, he will probably leave, like Duff left Blackburn.
    I think you might get one more season from him, but if everton are in the bottom half again next year ... I cant see an ambitious young man hanging arount too long!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

under achieving, over achieving.. its all relative really... i usually find you deserve the position that you finish in...

i never have and dont expect him to score 30 goals a season.. hes only 18.. Moyes is taking the right approach with him.. i dont think any everton fan in their right mind would expect him to be a goal machine right from the word go...

Looking at him play is fantastic.. he can turn defences inside out.. e.g. he ran the man utd defence ragged a few weeks ago.. (admitingly not a hard thing to do at the moment, but still...)

I dont expect him to play every game of the season for 90 mins... i dont think any player could do that... goalkeepers excluded...

He is a great prospect for the future and i think everyone knows that and he has the talent to progress into a great player...

I dont agree with your statement about having to play european football to hold down an england place.. there is a lot of players on international teams that are great players and are not in european competition every week..

The Duff situation is totally different... Duff wasnt born in blackburn and didnt go to every game since he was 5 years old... rooney is an evertonian.. theres a difference..
    Look at matt le tissier for example... he could have played for chelsea, arsenal, man utd etc.. but he actually liked playing for southampton.. he could have become a more regular england player if he did move.. but he didnt want to...

I suppose only time will tell.. but i cannot see him leaving everton in the next season or two as you put it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement