Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of fame inductees, any1 reckon Hart will show at XX?

• 18-02-2004 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

The problem with Hart is that he won't let the past go. All it took last year was a stupid comment about Montreal and he threw a hissyfit!

Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Why should he let it go?

Everyone else has!
    Serves him right for thinking he was indispensible. Ratings soared once he shot off.
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

Yep, and i'm gonna be converting it to DVD soon enough, PM me if you're looking for a copy.

Nero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Bret Hart was the new Generations franchise. He however wasnt totally nessary, and wwe obviously did survive well enough without him. But the attitude era can be argued to have origionated that fateful night in Montreal.

Bret made a big mistake. He was suffering from HHHistis. He was my childhood hero, but he was offered the chance to go out properly, but just couldnt lie down. All it would have taken was a 3 count.

But the SS screw job is a dispute that will never come to a close, until Shawn,Hebner, Bret, Vinny Mac, Brisco all sit down, suss it out and then go public. IMO, he has a right to throw a wobbler, that match cost him more then his job, it soiled his familys name, and led to such stress that he had a stroke after that bald gobsh1te ended his career.

Anyway. I do think he diserves an induction to the hall of fame. He did do so much for the company and they owe him that.

Hanza

I'll agree on most of the points Hanza but i still stand by the fact that Hart is whiny and often arrogant. All it would have taken was the three count (and bear in mind, Hart fu*ked over Michaels a good bit beforehand during a tag title match when the rope snapped, Hart begged McMahon not to air the match, The Rockers actually won it but if it didn't happen on TV, it didn't happen at all so it was edited out at Harts request).

Jesus, he even blamed Vince for the death of Owen at one point, and we all know that nobody could have predicted what happened that night.

And yeah, he does deserve to be in the Hall of fame. He played a big hand in the direction of pure wrestling being integrated back into pro wrestling, we also have to thank him for the ladder match idea as well :)

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Hart is a legend. WWe seem to have a knack of giving awards to people vince hate. When SCSA walked out he got superstar of the year award, especially when he wasn't coming back at all. Why couldn't bret get hall of fame induction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Bret Hart's heel character was amazing throughout 1997, in the way that I still loved him, as did an awful lot of non-americans, but the Americans hated him with a passion.
    He wasn't really a full blown heel, because he still believed in all the right things - it was everyone else in America that was wrong.

I would have loved to see him continue into 1998 and onwards, he could have had some amazing feuds and even more amazing matches.

But on the point of Vince McMahon - Say what you want about Hart not letting it go, but if Vince wasn't going to let him win then he shouldn't have said to Bret that he could have his finish. Bret didn't choose to leave for WCW, he was told to leave. He never turned his back on the WWF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    I'll agree on most of the points Hanza but i still stand by the fact that Hart is whiny and often arrogant. All it would have taken was the three count (and bear in mind, Hart fu*ked over Michaels a good bit beforehand during a tag title match when the rope snapped, Hart begged McMahon not to air the match, The Rockers actually won it but if it didn't happen on TV, it didn't happen at all so it was edited out at Harts request).

Actually the story I heard was that Niedhart was fired and was fulfilling contractual obligations (losing the titles to The Rockers). During the match, the rope broke but the match continued and it was just a minor detail. But then a week later, Niedhart was re-signed and McMahon used the rope breaking as a way of nullifying the result of the match, and the Hart Foundation were given the titles back. And as it hadn't been shown on TV yet, there was no reason to acknowledge any title change.

That's pretty much the whole deal, but the point i was making is that in that shoot interview, Bret pretty much admitted that he'd pleaded with McMahon not to show the match.

Nero

Ah, haven't seen that so I can't comment.

Regarding the thread, I'm a huge Bret Hart fan and I believe he should show up for the Hall of Fame ceremony. He definitely deserves to be inducted, and it'd be nice to see him give an honest goodbye speech and then let it lie at that.

I believe he has been asked about returning to referee a match at Wrestlemania too. I wouldn't like to see him in the ring to be honest. Just a goodbye would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Originally posted by smiaras
    Has anyone seen footage or pictures of him recently, how has the stroke affected him?
    There are/were some photos up on his website from various interviews. Apparently he is more or less over the stroke, and the medical problem keeping him out of wrestling (whether as a wrestler or instructor) is the concusion.

I saw him on the news in Calgary when his dad died. He's perfectly normal speech and movement-wise. I've been reading his columns on his website and he says he's living like he did before the accident, goes cycling, jogging, etc. He just can't wrestle anymore.

Originally posted by smiaras
    whats the website address?
    http://www.brethart.com

Nuff said...

A picture (or a poll) is worth a thousand words

Everyone vote... but vote wisley...

Hanza

• Advertisement

Well as it turns out. Bret Hart was not invited for a Hall of Fame induction, although he was invited to WM for some sort of speech.

Bruno Sammartino was invited, he politely turned it down. Almost twenty years ago he vowed never to show up on WWF/E television again.

Here's the list of people up for it:
    Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Greg Valentine, Sgt. Slaughter, and Superstar Billy Graham

Out of that list, I reckon Heenan deserves it the most. Graham never did that much in the ring to impress me, Ventura's commentary was brilliant but paled in comparison to Heenan, Slaughter tainted himself with that god awful iraqi gimmick, And Greg Valentine?... one word, why?! Last i remember him on WWF television was the 1993 Survivor Series when he played the part of one of Shawn Michaels knights.

Nero

IMO Sgt. Slaughter is worth of the hall of fame award. People always think abouty his 1990 iraq gimmick as his only stint. But look at his classic hardcore matches with Pat Paterson in 1982. The iraq gimmick may not be looked apon today with big baby blue eyes and a smile, but back then it was one of the most successful and memorable gimmicks of the last 20 years. Everyone loved to hate him. They didnt just hate him like Rico or LaResistance(i hate them cos they suck) they hated him cos he was a brilliant heel.

Oh and Im gonna get a bolicking for this by, Ortan V Slaughter last month was actually good. Slaughter is a total geratric now, but man did he put up a good convincing fight... Had to mention that. i was impressed...

Roll on Bret for WMXX...

Hanza

I dunno, relying on xenophobia to boost your ratings is kinda sad for a fortune 500 company ;)

But hey, i don't run one so what do i know?
    Nero

Well as it turns out. Bret Hart was not invited for a Hall of Fame induction, although he was invited to WM for some sort of speech.

Bruno Sammartino was invited, he politely turned it down. Almost twenty years ago he vowed never to show up on WWF/E television again.

Here's the list of people up for it:
    Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, Greg Valentine, Sgt. Slaughter, and Superstar Billy Graham

Out of that list, I reckon Heenan deserves it the most. Graham never did that much in the ring to impress me, Ventura's commentary was brilliant but paled in comparison to Heenan, Slaughter tainted himself with that god awful iraqi gimmick, And Greg Valentine?... one word, why?! Last i remember him on WWF television was the 1993 Survivor Series when he played the part of one of Shawn Michaels knights.

Nero
    ??? Have you watched much non-WWF wrestling in the past? Don't forget, it is the WWE now, and represents all three major federations of the past. Ventura was the main heel in the AWA, and he was the set-up to put Hogan on the map. So much so that the WWF planned a major rivalry between the two, but Ventura was hospitalised the night before the feud was to start, and ended up retiring. Graham was well before his time. He was the prototype that both Ventura and Hogan based themselves on. Greg Valentine had some amazing matches, especially with Piper, amoung many others. His WWF carreer was near the end, not in his prime, and his prime earned him such a spot. Slaughter's Iraq gimmick lasted what? Less than a year IIRC, out of about a 25 year carreer. He earned it over his carreer, not one gimmick.

Yes I have, but the Hall of Fame doesn't acknowledge anything non WWF/E unless it was bought out by them. Valentine, admittedly had some amazing matches as well but that doesn't mean sh1t! Hell, Marty Janetty had some amazing matches (he even carried one of them!) with Michaels, but he won't get into the Hall of Fame, I'll guarantee it! (despite some of his matches in the forementioned AWA)

As for Slaughter, He just never did anything for me, even looking at archives long before the iraqi gimmick. I just can't see him up there with Classy Freddie Blasse, sorry!

Nero

Yes I have, but the Hall of Fame doesn't acknowledge anything non WWF/E unless it was bought out by them. Valentine, admittedly had some amazing matches as well but that doesn't mean sh1t! Hell, Marty Janetty had some amazing matches (he even carried one of them!) with Michaels, but he won't get into the Hall of Fame, I'll guarantee it! (despite some of his matches in the forementioned AWA)

As for Slaughter, He just never did anything for me, even looking at archives long before the iraqi gimmick. I just can't see him up there with Classy Freddie Blasse, sorry!

Nero
    The WWE now owns WCW, AWA, Stampede, ECW, and several other smaller federations. People from all these Federations are eligible for induction. Also, the WWWF was a breakaway from the NWA, so NWA competitors from before the split could also be eligible. Valentine was a major force in the past. He has 3 NWA US titles, 3 NWA Tag Tiltes, the WCW US title, the WWF tag title, the WWF Intercontinental title, and several other smaller federation titles. He was a major player in the early WWF years, and there are rumours that he was slated to become the WWF Champion, until Hogan's popularity really took off. As for the Sarge, he is a four time Heavyweight Champion. He was one of the most recognised figures in the modern era of wrestling. Janetty won't get inducted because it takes more than a few good matches. Slaughter and Valentine helped put Wrestling on the map as a mainstream product. They earned their inductions.

Looks like we're gonna agree to disagree here Johnmb. :)
    Heenan all the way... I miss the guy!

Nero

Looks like we're gonna agree to disagree here Johnmb. :)
    Heenan all the way... I miss the guy!

Nero
    Oh Heenan definitely also deserves his induction. But this isn't a competition, they will all be inducted. The others deserve theirs as well, and they are not being inducted at the expense of anyone else. The others who deserve to be inducted will be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement