Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband speed

• 18-02-2004 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i ordered bb from eircom beforee christmas.i had problems with my modem which were eventually sorted out withexpensive support calls.since then,7th January i supposedly have bb but download speeds are dire ie 7.8 as against expected 50 when tested on eircom's own speed test.eircom seem to have removed this so i tested on u.tv and the speed was 60 compared to 56k dial up speed.support cant help,i have had my computer and internal house phone wiring checked.the line is a new one in a new house.eircom dsl say my speed should be ok based on their tests.
    Anyone in same boat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

its gota be something on your end or your line cause eircom's network is superb. Either your line is dodgy or your modem is crap, and since you've already said you had trouble with your modem, I suspect the problem is with that. I have a Dlink DSL 504 which hasnt given me any real trouble. R U SURE you dont have any bandwidth hungry apps or P2P programs open ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harry46

thanks.i dont have any apps running.i have kazaa but it is closed.i have run tests with absolutely else running.my modem is the netopia from eircom.i will get the loan of anor and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

When I eventually got my eircom BB up and running my DL speeds were around 11/12 kbps. I went to http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks, did the test, followed the recommendations by downloading drtcp and changing the receive window settings. Downloads instantly shot up to 55kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harry46

Thanks for both replies.Changed RWIN and the result is fantastic-up from c 60 to 420 though it dips sometimes to low 200s.But a major improvement!

whats the default RWIN setting for XP? I did that tweek and ended up f*cking up my connection. Gone down from 55 to 35KBps

• Advertisement

Yeah for sure, if you don't want to f*ck up your connection, DONT TOUCH THIS PROGRAM. IT SCREWS THE CONNECTION UP, not even system restore gets it back to the way it was.

I've just done a download test from Symantec on two PCs, this pc downloaded a 4.49 Meg file in 2mins, 8sec (35.9KBps)

The other PC downloaded the same file seconds after this pc in 1min 30 (51.1KBps)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

In fairness that could easily be proxy caching making the trip shorter for you.

.cg

proxy caching? The two pcs from the test I did are on the same lan, using the same internet connection settings.

Advertisement