Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 2d fighting game should I get next?

Options
  • 18-02-2004 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I've pretty much played Capcom Versus SNK 2 to death and I'm looking for something in a similar vein to buy next. The PS2 and XBox are the two formats I have in mind as I found CVS2 unsuited to the gamecube's control system. As far as I know theres 4 games I could go for:

Hyper Street Fighter 2: Anniversery Edition - Looks pretty nice but I think that like most people I've probably played 2 to death on emulators and on the SNES.

SNK Vs Capcom: Chaos - I've heard some bad things about this game but that doesn't really put me off it but in terms of structure it seems the same as CVS2.

Marvel Versus Capcom 2 - I don't know about this, on one hand it looks amazing and it seems to have some great characters but I've heard that it's overly random. It is knocking about for next to nothing these days though.

Guilty Gear X2 - I've read the odd review of this but I'm not entirely convinced about it, does anyone have it and if so what is it like?

Those are the four games I have in mind but if theres any others people think I should get let me know :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say Marvel Vs. Capcom myself...

Used to love playing good old X-Men Vs. Street Fighter back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

SNK Vs. Capcom: Chaos and Guilty Gear XX# Reloaded are being released on the Xbox, complete with full LIVE support. Only problem is that it is currently Japan-only, but here's hoping for a US/European release.

I'd pick up Hyper Street Fighter II anyway, it's being released as a budget title AND comes with a free DVD featuring the animated Street Fighter movie. No-brainer really.

The great thing about Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is that it is completely different from any of the Vs. series'. It's frantic fun. It would be less stratigic than say, Capcom Vs. SNK: EO, but it's still a great game in its own right. The fact that this is also reached budget status makes this a no-brainer purchase aswell.

I really like the Guilty Gear series. It's a weapon fighter, lovely graphics. I find it a mix between the Marvel Vs. Capcom series and the SNK Vs. Capcom series while retaining the stratigic proportions from the former. It's very Japanese flavoured and carrys a hilarious translation. Don't miss out on this one though.

Can't comment on SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos as I haven't played it.

I think you should get Hyper Street Fighter II when it is released, hold out for a possible release of Guilty Gear on the Xbox, and get Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i have guilty gear x2, very very good game, id recommend you get that, MANY MANY MANY diffrent modes, many diffrent modes of players too be unlocked, gets kinda hard.
    SNK Vs Capcom: Chaos - I've heard some bad things about this game but that doesn't really put me off it but in terms of structure it seems the same as CVS2.
    You can download the rom for it and try it out if u want, SNK characters seem a bit small but alaround some new sprites for the street fighter characters and over all 7-8/10.

Marvel vs capcom 2, i always wanted to buy this, but i dont think its worth my 60 euro.
    Looks out for Samurai spirits 5/Zero, Not sure if platform version will be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I really hate Marvel Vs Capcom. I know it can seem pedantic to harp on about balance but the game is seriously broken. It's completey unsatisfying to play with other people because of all the cheap **** that makes normal play impossible.

SvC Chaos isn't great. I like the characters and the Capcom sprites but the engine is pretty broken. Hitboxes are wierd and you never know wether your moves will connect. I'd be keeping an eye out for a sequel. There's definately potential there.

The whole GGX series is great. That's what I'd go for.

Unless you want to get a Dreamcast in which case I'd recomment Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, King of the Fighters '98 (called Dream Match '99 on DC), Garou: Mark of Wolves, Last Blade 2 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Super Smash Bros. Melee for the GameCube (if you own one, if not, get one). It's a very cool game. It's 2.5D, ie the characters, and scenery look 3D, but you can only move in 2 directions, left/right and up/down, so it's 2D. It's a very fun game, and there's loads to unlock. There aren't many different modes, but there are a fair few characters and levels. It's easy to get into, but can take a while to master, there are no complicated button sequences to do a certain move, just skill and timing. There are a lot of fun items that alter the battle. There are many multiplayer modes which is where the game gets fun. Basically there it's a great game, get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Thanks for the advice guys, I've decided to go for Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on the Xbox as it seems like a lot of fun even if it's not perfect. I popped into game yesterday to pick it up as it was there for a while dirt cheap but unfortunatly someone had nabbed it before me. Does anybody know where I could pick it up cheap?

Syth, you're preaching to the converted here :) I've had Melee since the Gamecube launched and still play it regularly. 260 trophies and counting :)

play.com had it on sale at £15 but it has now sold out. You're just going to have to check out more GAME stores as I haven't seen it anywhere else at a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

The older Capcom games put most of those games you mention to shame but you'd need a Dreamcast or Saturn for those. Street Fighter 3, Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Alpha 3 are divine and would probably suit your tastes more than the SNK stuff. So from your list, I'd get Street Fighter Anniversary, and Marvel vs Capcom 2 in the meantime, if you're starving for a fighting game.

Yeah, as tempting as it is to pick up a Dreamcast with Street Fighter 3/Kri: Mark of the Wolves my cash reserves are a little tight at the moment but once they pick up I'll try and get something off ebay. Vampire Savior is the game that Morrigan featured in right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Yeah, just get games for the system you've got if you can't afford new systems right now. MvC2 is good despite the bad press, which is not really relevant unless you're in a serious tournament and people are cheating by using Cable and Iron Man all the time.

I wouldn't be mad about Mark of The Wolves though. Last Blade 2, Street Fighter 3 and Powerstone are the 3 I'd pick for Dreamcast.

Yeah, I agree with combs, if you're really serious about fighting games in general, pick up a Dreamcast. The only thing is that these type of games is that they are probably the most coveted on the Dreamcast. The two incarnations of Street Fighter 3 are pretty rare and some games like Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2 weren't even released in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

mvc2 is one of the most grating fighters ive evey played, its not that its hard or bad or unintuitive its just that the fights never ever ever ever end just like this sentance.

you're preaching to the converted here
    so why do you wan to buy another 2D fighting game? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'd definately reccomend Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear X. they're both very good games, I prefer guilty Gear myself but hey whatever floats your boat. Don't bother waiting for Snk vs Capcom: Chaos it'll never ber released in Europe, most SNK games aren't.

As for Hyper Streetfighter 2.........well lets just say that no game has ever gotten me quite so excited if you get me :D.

Well as much as I love Smash Brothers you have to admit it's pretty damned random, I prefer games where my chance of winning doesn't soley depend on what random item comes out of an oversized crate.

I've played a lot of Street Fighter Alpha 3 on a friend's Dreamcast and I loved it. All these Vs games seem to be lacking the depth of a mode like the world tour that alpha has which really teaches you the subtleties of each of the characters. Beggers can't be choosers though I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

MvsC 2 was out in dreamcast ages AGO ! agessssssssssssssssss !
    now it recently came out for ps2 and it was stamped the price of 60 euro, i really wanted to get it but too expensive.

some day, il get a cheap dreamcast and get some games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Killer Instinct 3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Len_007
    Killer Instinct 3 ;)

its never going to happen. not until the higher managment of rare pull their collective heads from their asses, stop firing their talent and make a game worthy of their years with nintendo. at the moment they seem to be nothing but a large(and creatively empty) vessel for the stampers egos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Creature
    As for Hyper Streetfighter 2.........well lets just say that no game has ever gotten me quite so excited if you get me :D.

is this game being released at platinum prices or have play.com ****ed up the pricing

see here

hopefully it's not as they have it priced at £17.99 with a R.R.P. of £19.99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    is this game being released at platinum prices or have play.com ****ed up the pricing. hopefully it's not as they have it priced at £17.99 with a R.R.P. of £19.99

Like I said, the game will be released as a budget title (hence £17.99) and comes packaged with a free copy of Street Fighter: The Animated Movie DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

very nice. i can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I seriously doubt all the extras I've been hearing included with the Japanese version will make it over here. Most of that type of stuff never does get brought over to Europe.

The real gem is the Deluxe Edition as seen here . This bad boy will never find its way overe here but still...I want a Streetfighter 2 phone strap!

Well as much as I love Smash Brothers you have to admit it's pretty damned random, I prefer games where my chance of winning doesn't soley depend on what random item comes out of an oversized crate.
    I suppose you could turn off all items. That might be fun.

Advertisement