Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why?

Options
  • 18-02-2004 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Relative to who you are and im going to add them right through my life as a diary of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Ok, ok, I don't have a tattoo yet but I'm getting one. I've chosen my design. But I have a bunch of piercings.

For me, it is somewhat an assertion of my independence. It is my body and I like to decorate it. My first piercings (three in my right ear and my eyebrow) a few years ago were a rite of passage. I was just eighteen, had recently moved out and was beginning life on my own. It wasn't a rebellion (as there weren't going to be any repurcussions from my parents), but it was an assertion of my adulthood.

I may not always want the piercings and that is ok...but for now, they're like an addiction. I have to hold myself back from having lots more done, I guess for career reasons. My lip was the most recent (about 8 months ago) and I am itching for another.

The tattoo I'm being slow about, as it's for forever, but it's going in a discreet area. I find tattoos and piercings physically attractive so its natural to want them on myself.

It is hard to explain, it really is. I studied it at college in anthropology and didn't find an answer. All I found out is: all over the world, through all the ages and in every tribe, people have been doing this - self decoration. In some parts of the world (Papua New Guinea to be exact), your life as a woman is begun at about 14 through ritual scarification: your belly has intricate designs scratched in and ashes are rubbed in to created a raised scar. It's extremely attractive and women without the markings have difficulty finding husbands.

Anyway I have rambled. I am very interested in why I love this stuff. I can't answer it. At this point I don't even see the piercings when I look in the mirror. It's weird. This is me, as in KnowYourNerds, all pierced up.

http://www.boards.ie/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1011&password=&sort=1&cat=501&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

i have two tattoos, a little butterfly thing on my inner thigh and elvish writing on my back. i got the first one when i broke up with my bf of two and a half years. our whole relationship was very special and beautiful etc etc and i wanted to mark it somehow. my ex will always be a huge part in my life so this tattoo was also my way of moving on to the next stage in my life. is in NOT like getting a name tattooed!

the elvish writing i have done is a phrase which originally comes from latin (not telling what it says tho) it sums up my whole growth as a person or whatever over the last few years, and its a phrase which always gives me hope.

tattoos gives a me a lot of confidence and, corny as it sounds, a lot of inner strength. i feel like my identity is getting stronger with each one.

neuro, piercings are so bloody addictive its so annoying! i keep having to top up just to keep it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Got my first one due to the influences of Brian Setzer ( Stray Cats Front man ) who is covered and I thought they looked cool, from there I kinda just enlarged the Jigsaw whenever the mood took me, I have thirteen tattoo's now and don't plan to stop but you need to be convinced of your designs and the timing must be right for the next one.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I have one tattoo.

Its a black chinese dragon that is supposed to symbolise freedom and strength. I like it, its a personal thing.

Don't really know exactly why I got it done, I guess its just cos I like tattoos. I was in first year in college and just moved out of home, so I guess it was a way of marking that independence or freedom.

I'm planning on getting another, but not in a hurry. Its this design (won't say of what) that I drew myself, and it symbolises my Irishness, and my identiity as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

cos I was 17 and thought it'd make me look tough.

true!

Have yet to regret it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

For now it's decoration, next it's assertion of my belief.

Advertisement