Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of proxy (Clicksilver) - disadvantages?

• 19-02-2004 12:18am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It is now necessary for a lot of people on Clicksilver to use a proxy to access sites like Hotmail or Yahoo mail and Ebay has also been mentioned. (Note it is possible to access the general pages on Hotmail or Yahoo but not to actually access the mail pages)

A number of users on boards here have expressed their dissatisfaction with this.
    Apart from those who use a router and who have to disengage the proxy to adjust the router are there any other disadvantages to using the proxy on a permanent basis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

well it's definitely not all users affected. i can access any site without the proxy. On top of that, i tried the proxy just for a laugh, and even with it enabled i've had no problems accessing my router through HTTP. i didn't even have to put in the local addresses override thingy... so i don't know what exactly the problem is that people are having with their routers :/ This all goes for IE, opera and mozilla, btw.

getting around to your actual question, there should theoretically be no problem at all with using the proxy. almost all ISPs operate a transparent proxy, which is a proxy that all users go through anyway if they have no proxy address entered in their browser (it's most likely this transparent proxy that's causing problems for some clicksilver customers, actually), so manually putting in a proxy is really just telling the browser to use a different proxy to the default. no big deal.

finally, i think i noticed pages being very marginally quicker to load using one of the manually entered proxies.

Advertisement