Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Cap up to 8gb since midnight

• 19-02-2004 2:38am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just checked my eircom dsl stats there and its now saying my cap is 8gb:D must be migrated to the new service already even tho their webby stated this wouldnt happen till the 23rd:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Hm, that's some unexpected good news... and there I was rationing my bandwith like an idiot...

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yup just noticed this also
    alas im still a few gb over even with this new increased cap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

/me fire back up bittorrent

Its for anime, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

There is a downside of this, am I the only person who thinks that it is evermore likely that they will start charging people who go over the limit because of the introduction of the new cap (perhaps not in the first month though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

They have to start enforcing the cap on the lower limit - otherwise everyone would go for it. I would imagine if they have a system to do that it is a no-brainer to enforce it on the upper limit too. And knowing Eircom they will charge rather than throttle or cut off access.

They may even charge people that have breached the cap already - that would open a can of worms as they are fully entitled to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

happy days indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

hmmm, I've requested the downgrade to home starter and my cap has also increased to 8GB. I guess they just haven't downgraded me yet. I think I saw March 1st as the date from which downgrade requests will be processed. We'll wait and see, but I have a funny feeling that they'll still be charging €54.45 in the next bill saying "oh, we never got your downgrade request....". Call me cynical.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

8GB my god that is still Crap!! lol, You shouldn't have got Eircom's broadband in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by MickFarr
    8GB my god that is still Crap!! lol, You shouldn't have got Eircom's broadband in the first place!

No sure he shuda got your broadband, what with its obvious wit built in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

8BG is still crap in all fairness. Needless to say I'll be sticking with those nice folks at Netsourse and the much more tasty 16GB cap.

Caps still suck tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Has anyone noticed that the contention ration is now 24:1?

I had an eircom sales rep out selling me BB , reasonbly fit female :D , and she left the doc's behind for me to read.

The eircom offer has become a fair bit more attractive now and i'm going for it. Horses for courses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Peace
    Has anyone noticed that the contention ration is now 24:1?

I had an eircom sales rep out selling me BB , reasonbly fit female :D , and she left the doc's behind for me to read.

The eircom offer has become a fair bit more attractive now and i'm going for it. Horses for courses!
    The contention is applied at the exchange level, where it is shared amongst users for all the different ISP's. The 24:1 service will have to be contented seperately from the 48:1 service, but it's unlikely that it will be exclusively for eircom users (I doubt comreg would let them). I'd say it's almost a certainty that this service will be resold by IOL, UTV, etc. I wouldn't sign up to eircom just yet until they announce their new products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I just noticed the 8gb cap, am truely delighted. Strange coincidence that I checked my DSL Stats page (which I haven't done in over a month) to see if they had started updating it on the same day that the new cap is introduced.

Esat will have to chenge what they say about Eircom BB on their site :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=142487

according to above article we are still on 48:1 contention ratio till monday 23rd altho we now have the 8gb cap in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i got a letter from eircom today telling me about it and that there may be small interruption to the service between the 23th and the 25th between 10pm and 2am etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

No sure he shuda got your broadband, what with its obvious wit built in

It's not available in his area or he would have got it!!

Advertisement