Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Electric Shower with Pumped Electric Shower

• 19-02-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

my current electric shower is starting to give up the ghost and I was thinking of swapping it out for a pumped electric one. It's fed from the mains supply so I know it's frowned upon to do this. However on the weekends when the water is in big demand in the estate, the shower doesn't function properly and you get that hot/cold scenario every few mins.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lex

We have a pump shower and the pump is now going in it and it is switching between hot and cold so it maybe that ur shower is giving up the ghost and not the mains.
    The pump shower as far as I know is more expensive and the performace is not as good. I am not sure if, stand to be corrected as I am not sure, but does the pump shower not need a separate feeder tank in the attic??
    Gluck

Would you mind giving us an idea of the costings u find when purchasing this as I am sure there are people who are / will be purchasing one and to see your findings could be useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

This hot & cold switching has been happening for the last 7 years. It only happens on weekends when the water pressure is down as there is a high demand on the water supply to the estate and the internal thermostat can't control the small pressure in water.

They say the pumped showers should only be connected to feeder tanks as they don't want you pumping the mains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

A pumped electric shower will just take the water from the existing cold-water tank in the attic. You just connect it up.

Or, you could use your existing electric shower (which does not have an intenal pump) and connect it to the tank with a stand-alone pump between the two.
    This would give better pressure but you you may require a bigger tank (depending on the 'throughput' of the pump). They are also quite expensive at about 400 euro the last time I looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

A number of options are available

1 Replace what you have with a shower mixer valve, and install twin impeller pump to pump the hot and cold supplies only to the valve. You may need a bigger capactity cylinder and cold water storage tank. Pipework will require major modifications. This is the best option.

2 Install a mixing valve with its own pump, such as a Mira Event. Connect to the hot and cold supplies nearby. This model is available with / without a thermostat.

3 Install a pumped instantanoeus shower, such as a Mira Elite, or Triton T 90. This will require a cold supply from the tank.

There is just one cold supply to the current shower direct from the mains. I'm not even gonna think about dropping in a hot feed or a cold feed from the tank. Just anybodies thoughts on hooking up a pumped electric to the mains? Current is a T80i.

• Advertisement

dont do it, when the pressure increases, it will blow the guts out of the pumped shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah as pipers said, you basically just can't do that.
    Someone will get electrocuted!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads ye seem to be to men are regards knowlegdge on showers so if you do not mind can I ask the difference setups for showers, if you have the time please.

Two Scenarios -

Mains feed into the house:
    1. You need what sort of shower?
    2. Where do the feeds come from
    3. How does the water get heated?

No Mains -

1. You need a tank?? Is this the same domestic water tank you have?
    2. You need a pumped shower?
    3. You need to run a feed from the tank to the shower
    4. The Pump shower heats and presurises the water and this is your shower
    installed?

Thanks lads, just a lock of questions that I always wondered as regards showers.
    You see some place with only a shower head in the wall and a dial on the wall with heat/cold settings, how does this work.

In general which is the cheaper or better option.

Thanks again

Originally posted by yop
    Lads ye seem to be to men are regards knowlegdge on showers so if you do not mind can I ask the difference setups for showers, if you have the time please.

Two Scenarios -

Mains feed into the house:
    1. You need what sort of shower? Electric shower (eg Trition T80i) not pumped
    2. Where do the feeds come from - The mains water supply, probably coming from your kitchen sink cold supply
    3. How does the water get heated? - The internal heater element in the shower

No Mains -

1. You need a tank?? Is this the same domestic water tank you have? Ya
    2. You need a pumped shower? Normally, depending on the distance of height between the tank & shower
    3. You need to run a feed from the tank to the shower - Ya, cold water feed
    4. The Pump shower heats and presurises the water and this is your shower
    installed? Ya

Thanks lads, just a lock of questions that I always wondered as regards showers.
    You see some place with only a shower head in the wall and a dial on the wall with heat/cold settings, how does this work. - This I think has both hot & cold supply to the manifold behind the dial. Obviously, you will need to have hot water in the tank and the mixer dial takes care of the rest.

In general which is the cheaper or better option.
    - Depends on your house? Pumped showers are noisey. I think the electric shower from the mains is the best option. Quiet, hot water instantly but depends on your mains supply. If it gets low, it can be a pain.
    Thanks again

Thanks Lex, much appreciated

• Advertisement

You need a pumped shower?

- No, unless the storage tank is not high enough the provide adequate pressure. Before looking into shower pumps, see if the tank can be raised.

You see some place with only a shower head in the wall and a dial on the wall with heat/cold settings, how does this work.

- Hot and cold supplies are connected to the mixer in the wall

In general which is the cheaper or better option?.

- The best option is outlined above = no pumps, no mechanical wear and tear, noise, etc

- If renovating a property, install an unvented pressurised system (search earlier threads)

- Install a twin impeller pump in the hot press and run a dedicaed hot and cold supply to the shower mixer.

I always recommend Mira showers.

visit my site

Originally posted by pipers

I always recommend Mira showers.

I 2nd that. I've had a Triton T80i in mine for only 7.5 yrs and it's now starting to give hassle. Dads house is running with an equivalent Mira for 12 yrs and still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have a Triton T90i and its been repaired three times in that time. What I find really odd is the way you have to go through the hot, to get to the cold or to turn it off. Not a great design. Maybe the earlier ones were better. But in its defence the lime in our water is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sugartri

I live in an apartment with a water tank. The pressure of the water is very low. There is an old broken shower pump from the previous owner which feeds off the taps. I need to get a shower!!! Could i get a pumped electric shower or pumped tank-fed shower or what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sugartri wrote: »
    I live in an apartment with a water tank. The pressure of the water is very low. There is an old broken shower pump from the previous owner which feeds off the taps. I need to get a shower!!! Could i get a pumped electric shower or pumped tank-fed shower or what???

I would strongly suggest you get the pump fixed first. This might solve both your problems at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

i know i know this thread is too old, but... I better ask before it's too late

We currently have following setup
    * water tank in the attic connected to...
    * Triton T90 (pumped) shower with cold water supply only

Our issues
    * the shower used to be quite loud in the past
    * but since couple of weeks ago it's unbearable, it sounds like it's going to explode any minute
    * since the day one, every time I turn it on it gives me cold water for about 20sec before warm/hot water comes

My question is, can we change it for non-pumped shower? I assume the pressure is alright as the tank is in the attic. Any recommendations for a quiet reliable electric shower?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

GhanGee wrote: »
    i know i know this thread is too old, but... I better ask before it's too late

We currently have following setup
    * water tank in the attic connected to...
    * Triton T90 (pumped) shower with cold water supply only

Our issues
    * the shower used to be quite loud in the past
    * but since couple of weeks ago it's unbearable, it sounds like it's going to explode any minute
    * since the day one, every time I turn it on it gives me cold water for about 20sec before warm/hot water comes

My question is, can we change it for non-pumped shower? I assume the pressure is alright as the tank is in the attic. Any recommendations for a quiet reliable electric shower?

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like either the motor or brushes in the motor are acting up now. Taking 20 seconds to heat properly is not long but could mean the filter was blocked.

Can you not just go with another T90. They are an excellent shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭GhanGee

thanks for reply, well I was hoping to find something not as loud as T90 but I doubt I find it. I've red that only quieter showers are those without the pump. That's why I was thinking about this option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One option is to use a pump located in an airing cupboard or somewhere away from the shower. You would have to run a separate hot feed to the shower though, so it might be impractical in terms of cost and inconvenience.

Advertisement