Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep - Dopesmoker : Recognition at last!

• 19-02-2004 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

MOJO magazine have an article - "67 Lost Albums You Must Own" in the current issue. I was surprised and delighted to see the epic 'Dopesmoker' by Sleep mentioned in there among the likes of Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles, U2, Prince etc.

For those who have never heard of Sleep, let me give you the brief version. They were among the first 'stoner' bands to emerge in the 90's. After their second album 'Sleep's Holy Mountain' they were signed by major label London Records in 94. They came up with the mighty 'Dopesmoker' a song 63 minutes long, obviously, the record company shat themselves, refused to release it and Sleep eventually split up. In 99 an edited version of it was released under the name of 'Jerusalem' and, finally, last year 'Dopesmoker' was released in it's entirety. If you've ever heard Sabbath's 'Master Of Reality' album, you'll have an idea of the sort of heaviness I speak of. It sounds like Sabbath at their heaviest, slowed down. It's a magnificent piece of work, testiment to the power of the riff. 10 years late, Sleep are finally getting the credit they deserve.

Every home should have a copy :)

Advertisement