Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your flavour

Options
  • 19-02-2004 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it's been done before

What's your flavour babeh

If you use something that isn't mentioned state os below and why you use it

What's Your Flavour? 52 votes

Windows 98
    0% 0 votes
    NT 4
    3% 2 votes
    Windows 2000 Pro
    0% 0 votes
    Windows XP Home
    25% 13 votes
    Windows XP Profesional
    15% 8 votes
    FreeBSD
    46% 24 votes
    RedHat
    3% 2 votes
    Debian
    1% 1 vote
    Mandrake
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Windows 2000 pro for users, Redhat and Mandrake for servers. IpCop for Firewall/Routing/VPN/DHCP/Web Proxy.

XP is alright, but paying extra for a version that can join domains GALLS me.

Win98 for low spec machines, but only 2nd edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

XP because it's so pretty.
    Originally posted by Emboss
    I'm sure it's been done before
    Yeah just don't let Boston see it or he'll have one of his 'episodes'.
    Oh wait he's not mod here anymore - hah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

My Vote would be for Mac OSX

How come their is no OSX to vote for>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Because the maximum options is 10

there's plenty of os's not mentioned....

it's nothing against macs

even tho they are for girls

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Running XP Home.

Quick question.
    If I got a new HDD would I still legally be able to install XP on the new HDD ?
    I thought I couln't but someone (sionnach) said I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

using XP Professional

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Jaden
    XP is alright, but paying extra for a version that can join domains GALLS me.

Win98 for low spec machines, but only 2nd edition.
    I've two or three PC's with XP pro that stopped joining a domain - nice of M$ to rub it in - that and not being able to mirror drives and all of that activation and copy protection - makes harder to recover a windows 2k / 2k3 server /RANT

Win98 SE has a few niggles that limit it's use for interesting stuff (ie not using it as a desktop) - anyway first thing to do with 98 is 98lite to remove IE

Ste - If the HDD is in the same machine should not be a problem - after all ~ 3% of hard drives die per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Ste - If the HDD is in the same machine should not be a problem - after all ~ 3% of hard drives die per annum.

It will be thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

xp pro for myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

XP Pro on my pc upstairs, XP home on this family pc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Win2K on my own machine, XP pro on the laptop (it came with it). I used to be a die-hard windows 2000 person, but now that I've gotten used to XP from the laptop and turned off all the useless fisher-price style crap its not too bad. Activation is a massive pain in the hole though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Gentoo Linux & XP Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Xp home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

XP Pro on home pc and meh laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

FreeBeard and XP pro depending on whats to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

XP Pro, but will be reverting to a dual boot with Red Hat once I get my new hard disk. Unfortunately I have two or three Windows apps that I have to use, otherwise I'd be on RH the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Jaden
    Windows 2000 pro for users, Redhat and Mandrake for servers. IpCop for Firewall/Routing/VPN/DHCP/Web ProxY

Can ya be a bit more specific? What email program would be installed onto the Redhat server? what email client for the workstations?
    Is IPcop a linux app????

(Just curious, I wana see what other solutions are out there for file and email sharing for a windows network)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Win 98 SE - and proud of it! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

XP Pro is grand once you disable half the **** it comes with (default enabled), and get rid of the **** interface that he has enabled by default

Once thats done its a fairly solid OS imho

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by ando
    [B(Just curious, I wana see what other solutions are out there for file and email sharing for a windows network) [/B]
    Samba..
    FTP is alway userful too

• Advertisement
Advertisement