Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car and Tax book

Options
  • 19-02-2004 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi

I bought a car 16 months ago from a Garage, paid in cash. The salesman said he would put thru the tax for me with the change on ownership.

Tax disc arrived during the following week. I thought no more about it until the tax was out on the car just before christmas. Rang the tax office they said I wasnt the registered owner the garage is. Rang Garage, he said he forgot to do the change or ownership. The tax is out again since last month, salesman rang me, offered to change the car for a good price.

My car is a 98 Primera, he is offering a 99 Octavia + €1800. Octavia in excellent condition. He has also offered that I can pay a deposit and the rest whenever I have it.

I would be happy to take the offer but I would also be happy to keep the Primera. But I am worried that there is some big problem with the Primera.

Anybody I have asked has told me to take the Ocatavia and wash my hands of the Primera

Anyone any ideas or advice.

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a) who owns the primera now?
    b) is he offering you a newer car and €1800 for your nissan? What is wrong with the skoda?
    c) I would steer clear of that dealer - seems a bit of a cretin to me - how did he manage to forget the ownership change when he applied for tax? - the ownership docs need to be included with the tax application

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Fill up a change of ownership form and send it off... Keep your car and give him a good telling off.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by Chief---
    Fill up a change of ownership form and send it off... Keep your car and give him a good telling off.

Chief.

You can't do a change of ownership unless you have the registered owners signature on the back of the car's VLC to give his/her consent to that change.

I suggest eating the b*llox out of the dealer and tell him to get his act together. If you had an accident, you can bet you insurance company will take issue with the fact that, technically (legally), its not your car and never has been!

Tommy.

P.S. - Didn't you wonder why you never got any new ownership documents in your name?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

get onto your solicitor and/or the gardaí, also you can make him pay the tax due up til he signs the car into your name

Advertisement