Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power steering, problem?

Options
  • 19-02-2004 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi there,

I drive a 99 Hyundai Coupe, recently serviced and passed NCT last September. In the past few weeks when I switch on the ignition a high pitched grinding/whirring sound comes up and when I turn the wheel to manouver the car the sound gets worse. It eventually disappears when the engine heats up. I checked the power steering fluid level yesterday and it seemed quite low so I topped it up and it seemed fine after that. It didn't really bother me at first but lately the sound returns when the car turns sharp corners/parking and this morning the steering got really heavy for a couple of minutes, as if the power steering went altogether, before going back to normal and actually being better than ever before. Anybody know what the trouble could be?

Citizen Jake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You've got a slipping power steering pump drive belt. An easy and cheap fix - just get the belt replaced.

BrianD3

Advertisement