Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT message board

Options
  • 19-02-2004 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Anyone know the address? I can't find it on their website and there must be one, all colleges have message boards...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Blondie81
    Anyone know the address? I can't find it on their webiste and there must be one, all colleges have message boards...
    Bwaaahahahahaaha! You really expect an incompetent institution such as DIT to actually provide a half decent IT service? And one for the benefit of students no less?? It took them 3 years to set up some user accounts properly - and then the network died at least every second day. And as for the college email addresses students are apparently supplied with? I could go on... Pft.

Sorry but you must be pretty new to DIT :dunno: God help you.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

the site is under construction at the moment constantly, each time I go in it looks different, I dont ever remember there being a message board, what exactly are you looking for and I'll see if I can help.

The problem with DIT oneweb is that they have very competant IT people but no money to fund networking or IT at the moment well its strectched anyways. so blame the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Blondie81

Thanks. It's just strange, CIT, GMIT etc...all have fairly decent message boards....was wondering why DIT didn't have one. Thanks.

Originally posted by bug
    the site is under construction at the moment constantly, each time I go in it looks different, I dont ever remember there being a message board, what exactly are you looking for and I'll see if I can help.

The problem with DIT oneweb is that they have very competant IT people but no money to fund networking or IT at the moment well its strectched anyways. so blame the government.

Not really looking for anything, just wondering if they had one or not. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by bug
    The problem with DIT oneweb is that they have very competant IT people
    It took three ppl to come into the room, look at the PCs, none of which would connect to the network, play with the keyboards for a few minutes and go 'Hmmm, they should be working, and walk out. :rolleyes: And it took me mere moments to spot the hub in the corner had been plugged out :dunno:

True, there are *two or three* ppl who know their stuff, but they're either a***holes or very busy suffering the consequences of everyone else's incompetence.
    but no money to fund networking. so blame the government.
    Most overused quote in DIT. Blame them for everything from the lack of decent lecturers to the collapse of the course to the rubbish catering :p

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

I can't believe they don't have a message board. Every college in Ireland has a message board! I'm starting in DIT in a few weeks time (got a transfer from CIT) and I was just wondering if they had one 'cos I don't know anybody :ninja:

It took three ppl to come into the room, look at the PCs, none of which would connect to the network, play with the keyboards for a few minutes and go 'Hmmm, they should be working, and walk out. And it took me mere moments to spot the hub in the corner had been plugged out

True, there are *two or three* ppl who know their stuff, but they're either a***holes or very busy suffering the consequences of everyone else's incompetence.

where are you based as a matter of interest?

Believe it or not Ive been involved with such budgets, there is no money. They are aware of the fact that they need to overhaul the network, but buying equipment for you poor unfortunates and keeping the schools ticking over is their main priority.
    So being someone with a little more insight than yourself, they dont get anywhere near the budgets that universities do. And if they did they would catch up in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

One web: Did someone not plug that hub out on purpose to piss the other people in the course off?

DIT made a huge investment in IT when they moved onto the new network in Aungier St. That was a logistical nightmare. They have changed the database for regristration too I think?

The email system we use is the same as TCD. The address is webmail.dit.ie

Your username should be printed on your student card and the password is your date of birth?

I have an Ents Site for DIT which is at http://www.entslink.com which the main event promoters on campus use. That site has a message board for students but noone uses it at the moment even though lots of people look at it for the Ents Info.

Originally posted by Blondie81
    I can't believe they don't have a message board. Every college in Ireland has a message board! I'm starting in DIT in a few weeks time (got a transfer from CIT) and I was just wondering if they had one 'cos I don't know anybody :ninja:
    Nooooo! Don't do it! At least if it's in Aungier Street. I don't believe any of the other campuses are anywhere near as bad. Depends somewhat on the course too, but beware!
    Originally posted by bug
    where are you based as a matter of interest?
    Was (no more, thank God) in Aungier Street. Studying Information Systems Development, of all courses. One which requires a somewhat reliable network infrastructure and didn't have it.
    buying equipment for you poor unfortunates and keeping the schools ticking over is their main priority.
    Poor unfortunates? Students are the whole feckin reason for colleges. I should certainly hope they're priority!
    Originally posted by ballooba
    One web: Did someone not plug that hub out on purpose to piss the other people in the course off?
    No, it was one of the IT guys the night before 'cos they wanted to reset the thing.
    DIT made a huge investment in IT when they moved onto the new network in Aungier St. That was a logistical nightmare. They have changed the database for regristration too I think?
    They did, and in the process failed to include basic integrity checks thus duplicating many users :-/
    The email system we use is the same as TCD. The address is webmail.dit.ii
    .ii? Ah, that explains why it didn't work :p [EDIT: quoted from original message]
    Your username should be printed on your student card and the password is your date of birth?
    That is correct. But none of us were informed about setting up DIT email, or indeed that we even 'had' a DIT address.

Wow, I thought the bitterness would have been gone by now! Obviously not :dunno:

It is what it's.

Poor unfortunates? Students are the whole feckin reason for colleges. I should certainly hope they're priority!

obviously, and implied.:rolleyes:

you like that quote tool dont you.:p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bug
    you like that quote tool dont you.:p
    What quote tool :confused::p:D

Anyway apologies if it seems like I'm taking it out on yourself or ballooba - that wasn't my intention. The place was just a pain in the AST.

It is what it's.

I'll be going to Kevin Street.

What quote tool

the button
    ye know..if you scroll up really fast your previous post looks like stairs...sort of

Kevin street is good crack, the lecturers are really approachable and friendly too, I find aungier street a bit stuffy.

Originally posted by oneweb
    Nooooo! Don't do it! At least if it's in Aungier Street. I don't believe any of the other campuses are anywhere near as bad. Depends somewhat on the course too, but beware!

Dunno what the hell this statement means? In what respect is Aungier St bad?

Given the canteen is a pile of poo but the SU are tendering for that and they have proven that they will do a way better job if their Mountjoy Sq performance is an indicator.
    Originally posted by oneweb
    That is correct. But none of us were informed about setting up DIT email, or indeed that we even 'had' a DIT address.

Wow, I thought the bitterness would have been gone by now! Obviously not :dunno:

This is obviously down to a completely cráp level of communication between faculty staff and students. This should change now that H O Donnell has taken over.

Im not knocking D Ryan because he does know his sh1t and he is a good lecturer but HOD is more concerned with communication. He even emails us on our personal email accounts rather than the DIT ones which is a bonus.

We don't even have a course intranet which most other courses have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hmmm.

Im in kevin street and im find no problems whatsoever.

The Sys Admins have a busy time with all the colleges so fixing something can take a while.

Also, just because they didn't notice the hub being plugged out doesn't make them unable to do their duties r make the college bad. Techies often overlook the simple problems.

Ballooba, you've hit the nail squarely on the head ;)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I go to aungier st

I like it alot

DIT is great man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Originally posted by Hecate
    http://www.netsoc.dit.ie/bbs

;)

No one really posts on Netsoc if at all. If you post something you will get one or 2 response (one of them will probably be mine lol ).

Anyway Kevin St. isn't too bad. The network could be better and more computer labs would be nice. We have gotten in new PC's and a nice Sun Ray lab :D (hopefully we will get more of those). Plus there is a Wifi network (which doesn't work that great).

The Snakery (our Common Area) is nice enough. Not the greatest mind but does the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Kevin street is good crack, the lecturers are really approachable and friendly too, I find aungier street a bit stuffy.

I found the leaturers had seriously disimproved in the 3 years I spent there.
    May have been something to do with my course being phased out.

The IT systems in Kevin St. (especially the "new" building) are generally good though.
    Been P4 Win2k systems for years now.

The new building is DISGUSTING.
    Never goto the toilet there - the walls are covered in piss, **** and blood (really).
    This steadly worsens the lower the floor number.

tribble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Originally posted by tribble

The IT systems in Kevin St. (especially the "new" building) are generally good though.

Never goto the toilet there - the walls are covered in piss, **** and blood (really).

tribble

Great!!! :dunno:

Originally posted by tribble

tribble

You should complain to building services or your SU official about the Jacks.

Your money is being spent on a contract cleaning company who aren't doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

That is indeed true, I would use the term 'new' building very loosely though; the place seemed to be in a worse state than the 1950s thing it was built beside.

The canteen was like somthing out of prisoner cell block h (I could count on one hand the amount of times I ate canteen food in 4 years there). The snackery was even worse though, it would get completly unbearable during lunchtime with all the smokers in there....and some of them were smoking other things. It was officially banned in there, but they took a half-assed approach to enforcing the ban.

The only good thing in kevin st. was the library, before someone decided to break all the ethernet ports up there. Would'nt matter with the wireless network now I suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by ballooba
    Dunno what the hell this statement means? In what respect is Aungier St bad?

Given the canteen is a pile of poo but the SU are tendering for that and they have proven that they will do a way better job if their Mountjoy Sq performance is an indicator.

This is obviously down to a completely cráp level of communication between faculty staff and students. This should change now that H O Donnell has taken over.

Im not knocking D Ryan because he does know his sh1t and he is a good lecturer but HOD is more concerned with communication. He even emails us on our personal email accounts rather than the DIT ones which is a bonus.

We don't even have a course intranet which most other courses have.
    Yeah, the intarnets sites are where you each year and indeed course will find their messageboard, seem like such a wastes of cash though, surely there is open source implementations that could of been used for a fraction of the cost while running on DIT's own servers?

While on the subject of IT resources in DIT, anyway to access IRC etc. from inside dit, either from the access bringing your own laptop to the library or using one of the labs. 6667 appears to be blocked, any circumvention known?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Also re: Aungier st we have a noticably amazing amount of fabtastic looking girls which is always a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by ClareBear (re:toilets)
    Great!!! :dunno:

This refers mostly to the mens, or so i'm told. Ladies toilets are unknown to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    Also re: Aungier st we have a noticably amazing amount of fabtastic looking girls which is always a plus!

Yes indeedy.
    On the negative we have an amazing amount of gobshiites. It's as a bad as arts in UCD.

As for the network in AST. I have come across very few problems with it. In fact DCU suffered from more bottlenecks and down time in my time there than AST. Although, in DCU they actually ran maintenance on the labs every week, I've never seen maintenance done in AST. And they don't open the labs til 10am, wtf is that all about? Also the tech staff either seem to be dopes or on absolute power trips.

As for message boards. As already said, each class has an intranet site, which in turn has a message board.

Advertisement