Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sdram help

• 19-02-2004 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to find pc100 sdram for this
    motherboard, 128mb or 256mb sticks and I've gone through most of the sites listed in the above sticky.(posted in wanted but had no luck) Am a bit confused though. The best prices I could find were from http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/ and they have two types of ram, Transcend and OEM with the Transcend being more expensive. The OEM have warnings about incompatibility and so i was wondering what the story is on this.

Also was wondering if pc133 ram would work in this board (running at 100mhz).

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this

P.S big thanks to every one that contributed to my case thread - am saving for the Sonata as we speak

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Your board supports ECC memory, was that the compatibility issue?

PC133 should work fine at 100Mhz. If you're mixing ram speeds, put the PC100 in slot 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

The trouble with your motherboard is that it was designed well before any of the high-density memory was available (listed as OEM on above site). You need low-density chips on your memory - this means chips configures 16Mx8. High-density is generally 32Mx8 (ie. higher capacity per chip).

Go for the Transcend, or if you buy another brand make sure you buy low-density. This means a 128Mb module should have at least 8 chips - 256Mb should have 16).

Don't choose ECC, it is more expensive and not worth it unless you're running something missing-critical on your setup.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Good luck.

jayo

Advertisement