Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Question

• 19-02-2004 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey Guys,

I have recently moved House. In one of the Bedrooms there is an Eircom ISDN Plug and Play Box. The connection has been disconected.
    At present I have a Phone Cable Extension running from Downstairs up to my PC and access the net via 56k Modem.
    Can I plug the Phone Extension Cable into the Eircom Plug and Play Box and then run that into my PC??
    Will I be charged anytihng extra??
    Will it work??
    Will I need special cables??
    Jaysus I have no idea.

I dont do all that much downloading, so I aint really interested in Eircom Broadband, but ISDN would suit me for MP3 etc.

Any help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

I had ISDN for a while before bb and they just turned it off and left me with the box. I use the box now as a normal phone socket. As long as the green light isn't on, it's not enabled for isdn, so they have nothing to charge you for.

It has to be powered all the time though, is there a plug for it? You're supposed to leave it turned on 24 hours/day, so the orange light should be on. If you don't want to use it as a normal socket, and want to actually get isdn, you'll have to ring them up and order it. They should be able to just switch it back on though, since the equipment is installed in the house. Maybe they have to do work in the exchange again though, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I don't have the figures but I think you'll find that i-stream is cheaper than ISDN. And faster. ISDN is practically twice the line rental so that's probably €40 a month right there, then you have to pay for a "flat rate" product and you can probably only use one of the channels on that so you're getting 64k for €50+ a month. Eircom's new i-stream product is about €40, right? And that's 512k always on. It makes no sense to get ISDN if you can get ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

ISDN is a thing of the past the only reason we had it was because there was no such thing as broadband on this island a few years ago, but now with the numerous rollouts broadband is faster and cheaper.

Im so annoyed I got ISDN, it has caused so many problems to get Broadband and Im still waiting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

if you do want to use the isdn you'll need an isdn modem (the ordinary one won't do the job), and an isdn cable (ordinary one won't work either) ..... but it can be used with an ordinary telephone line and modem to dial up at 56k (through one of the ports on it)

Advertisement