Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bewleys

Options
  • 19-02-2004 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

According to the business news, Bewleys are considering closing down their cafes in Grafton St & Westmoreland St.

I find this hard to take in. It's a genuine Dublin institution!

Having said that, in recent years, they've lost their direction. They used to be THE place to go for bacon, sausage, fried eggs and a "mug of white". And sticky buns of course! They then started to offer "fancy stuff". Panini & cappucinos! In Bewleys?

Are they looking for someone else to blame when they blame LUAS construction and other reasons for their problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Ah Bewleys, THE place to go if you're looking for overpriced poor quality food and uncomfortable seating.

But they do nice coffee.

I'd be sorely indifferent to their closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

the breakfast was great. very tasty indeed.

I knew they were in trouble when i was told they stopped making their ring doughnuts. I don't think I'll ever get over that completely, they were the best in the world. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I really don't care. They've been living on their "traditional Dublin institution" thing for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

They're making far too much money with their hotel chain now to be worried about a few cafes.

Yes it is/was considered a bit of an institution but if that is the case, drawing tourists with promises of the wonder of old world Irish hospitality what a sad and sorry tradition it is.

As has been already mentioned, over priced and poor quality, often dirty and really poorly decorated (who is doing their interior design these days?? The refurbished restaurants are horrible, cold, eating halls...ick!)

The usual crop of unfriendly, bad mannered staff with the familiar clock-watching expression that shows how keen they are to get the hell out of there when the shift is over.

I have to say I never really liked "the Bewleys tradition" all that much. Like many traditional institutions it exudes a level of arogance and apathy that I'd rather not support with my hard earned sheckle. More for me a small cafe with an owner manager who recognises that the business lives and dies by the people who come in the door and that they won't do that if they get served slop at extortionate prices by impolite skangers.

(oo I got the word skanger into my post! I've been dieing to do that for ages!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

oh yeah...and the coffee is HORRIBLE!! Who on earth likes that stewed muck??? ick ick ick!

Tea was nice though, but then...who can't make a nice cup of tea I ask you???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BigAl

It's sad to see them close but no great loss. bewleys in Grafton Street used to be my first port of call on visiting Dublin, it was warm and welcoming, good food and great atmosphere. All that was lost in recent years through bad management, terrible redesign, poor service, bad selection of food and ignorant staff. The end was inevitable, there is simply too much good competition. It's such a shame though as it really was a Dublin institution, look at the successful coffee houses and Grand Cafes in Amsterdam for example. The difference is the quality of product and friendly efficient service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Sarsfield wrote:
    According to the business news, Bewleys are considering closing down their cafes in Grafton St & Westmoreland St.

I find this hard to take in. It's a genuine Dublin institution!

Having said that, in recent years, they've lost their direction. They used to be THE place to go for bacon, sausage, fried eggs and a "mug of white". And sticky buns of course! They then started to offer "fancy stuff". Panini & cappucinos! In Bewleys?

Id love a fried egg now

Advertisement