Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cl_mouseAccel tweaking

Options
  • 18-10-2000 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

In my quest for furthering my Q3 abilities, the last two weeks I've been watching several 1v1 demos of fatal1ty, makaveli, capnkickass, ven0m et al and trying to analyze their movement. I've been playing now for about 6 months on q3 on and off, and I'd inherited my q1 sensitivity setting of 20. Being one of those weirdo semi-ambidextrous lefties who uses the mouse with his right hand I find I need about an hour's warming up before my railing gets up to scratch and even then the fine movement of the mouse needed for accurate long-range hits (without zoom) can be difficult.

Having watched fat/mak/etc etc I'm pretty sure they're using a much lower sensitivity for accurate railing and using cl_mouseAccel to get the fast turns in still. I've now set my own sens/cl_ma to pertinent settings and find it a 400% improvement over linear mouse movement. I've set myself back about 2 months in terms of needing movement/tracking practise, but I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement in the long run, I've already managed to get a few enormous circle strafe jumps out with these settings, albeit leaving my fingers twisted in knots!

Any thoughts/ideas/experiences on this?

Writing a Haiku,
    in seventeen syllables,
    is very diffic.

PGP KeyId: 0x08D63965

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

i would have thought mouse acceleration is a very bad idea. address koopa personally next time you ask a question like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I agree with vorosha.ie there, I dont like mouse acceleration at all either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

think im one of the only ppl that use mouseaccel...

works for me, just try both and see what u like most.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 x0n

I've only tried it for a few hours against some of the bots and I like it so far, only problem is that the choice is a serious comittal of time spent getting accustomed to it. I know it won't turn me into some blind swordsman overnight, but I'll see how it goes. What sens/accel do you use? I'm using 8.5 / 2.0

- Ois

Writing a Haiku,
    in seventeen syllables,
    is very diffic.

PGP KeyId: 0x08D63965

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

yeah i tried using mouse acceleration a while ago, i didnt like it, but try it for yourself

(what is that green thing meant to be? keep guessing VOR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

I use Mouse_Accel, its pretty cool for those steady far off shots and excellent for turning quick in fights. Didnt take me long to get used to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

razer boomslang 2k

sensitivity 4
    acceleration 0

when i have to turn quickly its like watching a constipated duck

[This message has been edited by Sonic (edited 18-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

my brain hurts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

LOL sonic.
    x0n I dont use mouse accel, instead i have my fov+sens set to change per weapon. Like fov 90 sens 8 for rail.
    If i'm just wandering around i'll hit the RL key fov 110 sens 12, better for roaming ect.

Or mabye I'm just Mad? biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

I use Fov 90, sensitivity 10 on a Logitech Mouseman.
    Koopa, that green thing is a lump of mouldy camel sn0t, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

we must find this man and question him

• Registered Users Posts: 37 x0n

That green sn0t comment made me wonder and I had a gander around http://www.infopop.com/ (ultimate bulletin board creators) in vain to try to put a better mnemonic to icon31.gif.

icon39 (as used here) seems to need definition also before it can be put to a use other than questioning icon31...

- Ois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i thought that was the U from Unreal?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bane

I personally use mouse accel cuz it gives faster turns. But get the mouse sens the way u like first and then try fooling with mouse accel values and do 180 turns to see if it makes it more comfortable and easier. If it does, the rest will fall in place with practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Rapier-q3

Personally i use sens 4.3 to 5 (depending on the weapon) fov 90. I used to use sens 6-7 and fov 105 but since i changed to my new sens and fov its improved my game a lot ie having a sens lower than 5 really improves your railgun aim and gives you a godlike shaft. Some guy called Fatal1ty does use mouseaccel 2 so it couldn't be all that bad, tis up to yourself

[This message has been edited by Rapier-q3 (edited 19-10-2000).]

Advertisement