Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request forum:Cartoons

Options
  • 20-02-2004 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

hi i just noticed a lack of a cartoon forum on boards.ie. theres lots of cartoons watched by the posters Simpsons, Family guy, futurama etc. and im sure a lot of posters watch the likes of toonami. lots of good programmes there, Justice league, X men evolution, batman of the future etc. I think that it would be a success and i hope that the administrators of boards.ie would consider my proposal.

Thanking you in anticipation
    Angel of Fire
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I brought this up before.
    Not sure I like the idea anymore as it's covered in TV.
    Altho Seinfeld gets it's own board. So I suppose it might work. Maybe even a trial basis ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Join Manga to Anime forums maybe, there'd be more of an interest there tbh especially for things like Batman of the Future and anything Toonami. Other than that, most of the topics do seem to be covered in Television forum.

If it does get made though it'd be pretty cool, as there's a way bigger potential audience here (Cloud's Manga to Anime forum only has 3000 members or something, and a lot of them would be inactive or like only post once every few days), and very few Irish posters on Manga to Anime. Looks like my subbed list may soon pass the 30 mark :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No need..... post in television.

There are too many boards atm.

John

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    Join Manga to Anime forums maybe, there'd be more of an interest there tbh especially for things like Batman of the Future and anything Toonami. Other than that, most of the topics do seem to be covered in Television forum.

If it does get made though it'd be pretty cool, as there's a way bigger potential audience here (Cloud's Manga to Anime forum only has 3000 members or something, and a lot of them would be inactive or like only post once every few days), and very few Irish posters on Manga to Anime. Looks like my subbed list may soon pass the 30 mark :(

m2a doesn't really cover these cartoons, plus who else besides eirtakus would expose themselves to the teenieboppers there? ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

expose themselves to the teenieboppers

pfft, you always expose yourself ross

• Advertisement

Start a thread there and someone would probably reply i'd say Cult.

Don't know, trying to get a constructive reply in before someone shoots him down 'cause they don't want another forum on boards, or they don't like cartoons, or they feel there wouldn't be enough traffic, or blah, blah, blah.

Your right about the teenie booper thing there though, I just didn't want to put down Clouds baby here, cause I like having an account :D Must try and find another anime/cartoon forum sometime, may try the Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse in Something Awful, never visited it much, but it may be my next port of call for anime new/discussion since boards doesn't seem to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

TheSonOfBattles, why not create your own forum then ?
    It's easily done.
    The hard part is getting people.

"If you build it they will come"

Cause i'm:

A) Lazy

B) Broke, so I can't buy webspace and

C) Haven't a clue how to write/code/whatever it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I brought this up before, but I still think that there should be a Anime/Manga forum on boards (screw Manga to Anime, boards.ie is my home!). Pretty much all of the good emcompassing message boards have anime/manga sections, so I don't see why boards.ie should be no different.

Adding an animation prefix to the Anime/Manga forum would be grand too (wouldn't really call them "cartoons". Shows like the Simpsons or Batman are hardly "cartoon-cartoons", if you know what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Yes, what f®eak said.

• Advertisement

You mean there are other people on boards who watch anime? :confused:

I'd love to see an Animation/Anime/Manga forum here. I've been dying to talk to talk to someone about Gungrave and Iria and 1 or 2 other Anime's I've recently gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I suggested having a Manga/Anime forum here about 1 or 2 years ago. In the end it was decided to have an Irish forum in MangaToAnime instead.
    The forum is at http://eirtaku.mangatoanime.com/
    Eirtaku (the Irish Anime and Manga community) homepage: http://eirtaku.com
    IRC channel: #eirtaku on irc.quakenet.org

Originally posted by Tellox
    Yes, what f®eak said.

even the double negatives?
    so I don't see why boards.ie should be no different.

and Doodee, I can't remember the last time I exposed myself (thank god for the drink).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Manga wasnt what i had in mind. but it could be incorporated into the cartoons forum. im not a big fan of it but it would be a success.

Batman and x men arent real cartoons eh? explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

A cartoons board? No, I don't think that's a great idea.

However, the proposed Animation/Anime/Manga board?
    Now that's a good idea.

I've also joined up on the manga to anime boards, and found it incredibly 'distastefull' so I scoured it from my history, never again to look back upon that dark patch in my past...

Another suggestion that presents itself, and one I've thought about for a bit, is a "Asian/Eastern Cinema" board, which would encompass everything from Jackie Chan movies to Manga/Anime, and all the Japanese movies that certainly seem very popular on the films board.

So popular, in fact, that it in my opinion, does indeed warrent a discussion board of its own, with many many threads evident on the fims board. Provided of course that the threads are moved to the board itself, and not have another situation like with the Horror board, which most users either are unaware of, or ignore altogether, as suitable threads from the film board aren't relocated to it.

My 0.02c

Edit:

I think that cartoons in general can be kept to the Television, and All Things Retro boards respectively. There's not really overwhelming need for a cartoon board as such.

Why should a cartoon board be exclusively for manga and anime. thats just like saying we should have death metal board instead of a rock/metal one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    Why should a cartoon board be exclusively for manga and anime. thats just like saying we should have death metal board instead of a rock/metal one

Did I even suggest such a thing!???

Christ... read my post again...

Anime and cartoons are as different as 7up and Vodka.
    And when you mix either together it's horrible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

perhaps a compromise on the title.... animated television (and film perhaps). This would cover Anime and regular Cartoons.... and i think that any Anime elitists would have to share with the likes of the simpsons, even if they are very different as far as some are concerned...

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    perhaps a compromise on the title.... animated television (and film perhaps). This would cover Anime and regular Cartoons.... and i think that any Anime elitists would have to share with the likes of the simpsons, even if they are very different as far as some are concerned...

Flogen

My post was in no way elitist - if you are referring to mine - it was a simple statement of fact. There are major differences between the two, big enough for them not to be combined.
    If there is to be a board for either ok, but they certainly should not be placed into one forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

please, dont get me wrong, i wasnt refering to your post as elitist, i mearly meant that big followers/fans of anime would have to share with regular cartoons if a board was to work. I wasnt refering to you or anyone in perticular, just die hard fans of Anime in general.

And I understand that there are differences between the types of animation, but i cannot see an anime board being made and a cartoon board being made, so if there is to be any board i think it would have to cover both. Look at it this way, a General Animation board is better than nothing at all.

Flogen

I'd be quite happy with a general animation board as you suggested flogen, because I like simpsons (early to mid seasons), family guy, batman, x-men, anime, tom and jerry, you know, if it's animated there's a good chance i'll like it.

I could honestly care less if it was in 1 board or multiple. At least if its in 1 board, it saves me the hassle of switching to another forum to see a few threads I might like.

Theres enough support on this thread to justify a cartoon/animation forum. now would the boards.ie facists kindly stop trying to block its introduction with their negative opinions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Theres enough support on this thread to justify a cartoon/animation forum. now would the boards.ie facists kindly stop trying to block its introduction with their negative opinions.

Why can nobody spell that word properly. It's fascism. Get it right. I wouldn't write a letter to the pope about 'catolicism'. A bit of respect for the beliefs of others goes a long way you utter utter filth.

Dont blatantly accuse me. i used the word "fascist" as a light hearted joke i didnt intend to offend anyone. i just asked them to stop knocking something that people clearly support.

Much as i'd like to see an anime/whatever board here, there's not really all that much support for it tbh, considering how many people actually use boards, and more specifically browse this particular forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by flogen
    and i think that any Anime elitists would have to share with the likes of the simpsons, even if they are very different as far as some are concerned...

Hmm... after reading the last few posts I take back what I said about adding an animation prefix to an Anime/Manga board (that was just my way of invading the thread tbh).

The fact is, *most* animated shows can be discussed in either Television (The Simpsons, Family Guy etc.) or All Things Retro (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Tom and Jerry etc.). Shows programmed on Toonami/Fox Kids could be discussed in Television in threads, but I don't think these shows on their own grounds deserve their own forum. Western animation hasn't particularily seen the blurst of times lately either (that's just my opinion though).

CuLT is totally right about how different Western and Japanese animation is. I think with the inclusion of Manga to this proposed "Animation/Anime" board too would make the whole name too confusing and cumbersome, so I'm giving my thumbs up to Anime/Manga and dropping this Animation idea behind. I believe there is enough (potential) interest for this forum to come to reality (on boards.ie).

I support an anime board here, no matter what form in comes in just to clarify.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by ecksor
    Why can nobody spell that word properly. It's fascism. Get it right. I wouldn't write a letter to the pope about 'catolicism'. A bit of respect for the beliefs of others goes a long way you utter utter filth.

tbh lol, frankly.

DeV.

Advertisement