Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"pro-homosexual school?"

Options
  • 20-02-2004 2:23am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

agent smith here, stumbled on your forum while on my way to Leaving cert forum.....
    I'm not homosexual but i saw this in my school hand book regarding conduct.

12.4 "Boy's and Girl's" : Boys and girls are NOT allowed have a one to one relationship either in or outside school.

now could someone explain this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hehehe
    wtf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Are you sure this is gay reference? Maybe it's the same way as saying "our pupils are not allowed no be seen snogging/shagging in public". Which I can undertand for a school "prospectus" or something like that.

It does say "Boy's and Girl's".
    I think you're reading "one to one" the wrong way?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

no it goes out of it's way to make sure, even outside a school event, that boy's and girl's dont see each other...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by agent smith
    boy's and girl's dont see each other...
    For a start: are you sure this is from a school?

Reason: " Boy's and Girl's "
    Should be: " Boys and Girls " i.e. there should be no apostrophe there at all. And that's NOT a mistake that a "school" should make. ...To say the least.
    Moreso, why do they say " "Boy's and Girl's" : Boys and girls " in the same sentence? Correcting their mistake?

Even so, I still don't see your point. I'm getting the "each other" point, but that's the same as "boys and girls". Where does gay come into it?

I dunno. I'm in no way gay (saw this in the top ten), but I smell somethig fishy.

(no joke, please.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Apart from the grammar, all I can say is "eh?"

How is it "pro-homosexual?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Apart from the grammar, all I can say is "eh?"

How is it "pro-homosexual?"
    It doesn't say
    "Girls's and Girl's" : Girls and girls are NOT allowed have a one to one relationship either in or outside school.
    or
    "Boy's and Boy's" : Boys and boys are NOT allowed have a one to one relationship either in or outside school.

It's implied.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Personally i'm surprised nobody picked up on the "one to one" aspect of it.

I mean they're clearly encouraging orgies...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by oneweb
    It doesn't say
    "Girls's and Girl's" : Girls and girls are NOT allowed have a one to one relationship either in or outside school.
    or
    "Boy's and Boy's" : Boys and boys are NOT allowed have a one to one relationship either in or outside school.

It's implied.

Or it's just ignoring their existence all together. Why is this piece of semantics important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'm sure that if you pointed out that it does not mention same sex intamacy they would change it to

Students are NOT allowed have a one to one relationship either in or outside school.

remember kids no groups smaller than 3 or larger than 5 ...
    in fact only groups of odd numbers so you allways have one to make sure nothing is going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Funny the way they go out of the way to say they are not gay, and come up with a reason for them being here. Relax.
    stumbled on your forum while on my way to Leaving cert forum..... I'm not homosexual
    . I'm in no way gay (saw this in the top ten)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, found that pretty funny myself.

I imagine the above sentence is just down to lack of thinking of alternates on the part of the school - not pro-homosexual at all I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Whereas it's good to see that the heads at the top of the school are aware of youthful relationships, it's sad to see they're either unaware or just plain ignorant of homosexual relationships.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Syth
    Funny the way they go out of the way to say they are not gay, and come up with a reason for them being here. Relax.
    Indeed

Actually I've noticed it before (& I doubt I'm the only one who has). Seems to be a recurring theme in any thread involving gay anything, here, PI, AH, wherever. Every second post seems to begin with "Well, I'm not gay but..."

sceptre, not gay (and er, I clocked on the forum by mistake, I've never been here before)

On topic, I just read the first post as "boys and girls aren't allowed to do the nasty or sit suspiciously close to anyone but themselves"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

I'm fierce queer and Im sorry I couldn't have gone to a school so intent on discouraging the heterosexuals. As to the grammar, what do you expect from school teachers?

Advertisement