Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Modem Problem

• 20-02-2004 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

For some reason I cannot connect to my Isp using my laptop. It was working fine but now for some reason i'm getting an error message saying the the port is already being used. In the modem properties/diagnostics I can't query the modem as it's saying the port cannot be opened and there may be a conflict. How can I check if some other applcaton is using the modem? It's an internel modem on a toshiba notebook(Pro satellite M10). Nothing was installed recently, could a windows update do this or is it a virus. I've tried reinstalling the modem and also restoring XP to a previous point to no avail. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

something is definately accessing your modem, or even your com port (which the modem uses)...

you should check your startup folder and remove anything thats not needed, also run msconfig (start->run->msconfig) and go to the startup tab and knock off anything that isn't needed (be careful here cause you do need some of the stuff in here, particularly anti-virus software)... re-boot the PC and try again

there are more in depth ways of checking out the modem..... but you should give this a go first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GarGuile

Startup folder's okay and I've eleminated all that I can with Msconfig. No joy!

Sorry about that! Just like to add. When I tried to connect first time this morning, the port opened error came up. I rebooted and I was able to connect. I've have not been able to connect since then, no matter what I try. There was a strange pop-up appearing yesterday regarding downloading spyware protection software. I closed the window, could this have anything to do with it??? I use Spybot , Search and destroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭martyc45

I know this is not a permet solution but it should get you connected.
    if you disconnent your phoneline from your computer and then click connect ,wait for one second till you hear the click from your modem then put your phoneline back in, it should connect .

If this does work I surgest you uninstall your Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then reinstall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭martyc45

Got this off the Microsoft Website

This behavior can occur if Rnaapp.exe is active in memory.
    RESOLUTION
    To work around this issue, follow these steps:
    1 Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Close Program dialog box.
    2 Click Rnaapp to select it, and then click End Task.
    3 Start your communications program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rnaapp can be a bit of a bitch to fix, depending on what exactly the problem is with it.

if you don't mind getting your hands dirty have a look here: http://www.modemhelp.net/newsletter/dun/combatrnaapp.shtml

I'll try all your suggestions and get back to you. Although I'm really beginning to think the modems dead. It's under warranty so i'm not too worried but it's still a pain. What does rnnapp.exe do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I doubt the modem is dead, it's more than likely that there's still something running in the background accessing the modem that's preventing the OS from using the com port :)

Okay still no joy! I reset the tcp/ip stack. I also looked for Rnaapp in task manager but it's not running. There is ccApp.exe but that's something to do with Norton AV i think. Any other suggestions? I know if I send it off to Toshiba they'll reformat the drive and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Modem was 'brown bread' as predicted. Thanks for your suggetions

• Advertisement
Advertisement