Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Ireland Tarrifs

• 20-02-2004 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Surfing the 3 Ireland website I saw that they have posted up a page with some prices. According to this page calls to national numbers will cost €1 and txt messages will cost 0.25c. Ok, it does say that the prices are under review. However, if these are the prices they will use, then they will have very little customers. Anyone have any more info?

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

i think the word we are all looking for is.... what?

are you saying meteor, o2 and vodafone are raising their prices? i've heard nothing about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭ethanf

i think he's talking about the 3g website 3 rthaer than the website for the 3 current mobile operater in ireland!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by ethanf
    i think he's talking about the 3g website 3 rthaer than the website for the 3 current mobile operater in ireland!!!!!

He is talking about the website for the new operator called 3.

Those tarrifs were only published to comply with the rules which governed a "commercial launch" of the network.

They are not the tarrifs that they will have for their proper launch. Hopefully the real tarrifs will be like the tarrifs on 3 UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

this is a new Irish operator? whats their site?

Originally posted by thesteve
    this is a new Irish operator? whats their site?

Yes - the website for 3 is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

God christ...

Three is a new operator lauching their service here in the coming months..

They have provional tariffs in place. These will change well before launch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

3 was one of three companies to be awarded operating licences in June 2002...

What are the other two???

The price wars begin!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Skud
    3 was one of three companies to be awarded operating licences in June 2002...

Where they not one of the 3 to be awarded the operating licences for the 3G network. I thought that it was 3, Vodafone and o2 that were the 3 to get the 3G licences.

Three, Vodafone and O2 were awarded 3G licenses....

I dont know about that price war either, slight reductions maybe but nothing dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I thought there was a 4th one that no one wanted....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

There has been some rumblings about EIRCOM going back into the wireless market. They may be looking for the 4th licence?!?!

In general the market should get more competitive in the next 12 months - so that can only be a good thing for the consumer.

Yeah there is still a 4th license available. If the rumours are true and Eircom do in fact take over Meteor, I can see Eircom going for the 4th license eventually. I personally dont see another operator starting off with a blank slate after seeing how long it has taken Meteor to get going and how poorly Three are performing in the UK as the most recent entrant there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Was there not an 088 network that didnt last very long??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

There will defo be a price war in Ireland.

Reg Tel is driving down the cost of terminating calls on other networks and with VMO's being forced on the operators with SMP they cost to consumers will fall substancially.

Expect sevice and quality to be severly effected also.

Ohhh and the cost of running a voice calls over a 3g network instead of a 2g networks is substancilly lower.

Emmo

Originally posted by Emmo
    Ohhh and the cost of running a voice calls over a 3g network instead of a 2g networks is substancilly lower.

Do you honestly think that the saving will be passed on to the consumer? What sort of reduction are we talking about there?

Operators could offer the same saving if they allowed us to send SMS as Packet Switched Data as oppossed to Circuit Switched, don't see this happening either even though most newer handsets offer the ability to configure SMS for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Manticore
    Was there not an 088 network that didnt last very long??

That was an analogue network, it was shut down c 1999 following GSM becoming universal. It lasted a good 10 years, and was the first network.

Does anyone know what numbers the 3G networks will have - i.e. will O2 and Vodafone continue with their 'native' 086/087, and 3 is given 084 (they probably want 083, maybe 084 would be for the 4th 3G licence), or will there be a new number series alogether for 3G phones (08X1 or something?).

Last question: is there a rough idea of a period when GSM will be turned off? I would guess the 3 new networks would want an idea of when that might be as they plan roll-out, capital investment, etc, especially as 2 of them will also operate legacy networks.

Vodafone and O2 will be remaining 087 and 086 respectively. I cant remember the prefix Three have been given but its definetly 08x.

Someone mentioned the GSM networks but be switched off byt 2006 or 2008, can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

088 was to be switched off by 2005 but was killed off earlier.

Have heard nothing about the 900 and 1800 Mhz bands used by GSM.

Analogue TV is to go in 2009 I think.

M

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Vodafone and O2 will be remaining 087 and 086 respectively. I cant remember the prefix Three have been given but its definetly 08x.

3 have been given the 083 prefix.
    Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Do you honestly think that the saving will be passed on to the consumer?

YES
    Of course there will be a price war/serious reductions. Ireland has the highest charges in Europe.
    1. 3 have launched with greatly reduced tariffs in the Uk, OZ and elsewhere and will have to do the same here.
    2. Meteor should have national coverage at some stage this year, which should fuel price reductions.
    3. Apparently 3 companies are looking to set up a VMNO here. This should also reduce prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Just when you think the market has reached saturation, along come the chinese with their microcircuits and their microphones and their microbes...... and so on....

it might mean cheap phones for the consumer as a starting point for the business tho...

• Advertisement
Advertisement