Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy Let Down

Options
  • 20-02-2004 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I bought Final Fantasy X-2 today, and i have to say it is a big let down! I leave it until more people play it before i say anything. I'm one of the biggest FF fans but dear god what have they come up with in this one. There's no real story to it. Nothing real compeling this time.

The "dress sphere's" are good so far i have
    Gunner
    Warrior
    Thief
    Black Mage
    White Mage
    and a Dancer outfits so as you can see i`m not that far. Something are good though as you can "change" the world of spira around by promoting companies, help a man find his son a wife. But other than that waste of money.

If anyone has bought it tell me what you think of the game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

I see you can write normally after all. :D

As for FFX-2, going picking it up from parents in a few hours, will reserve judgement on it till i'm a fair bit in though. Even if I don't like it, I won't mind that square made it though tbh, because it's nice to see them experimenting with a game so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i might pick it up today though i know its a bad idea as i won't have time to play it, any more opinions on it folks after playing it for a bit longer perhaps?

also is there a red mage job sphere?

Unfortunately mine hadn't arrived on friday when I went to the parents for the weekend, I assumed it would since my current order was blank on play.com. I'll give it a few hours play when I do get it though, and post up an initial thoughts post.

Anyone know how to track orders on play outta interest, or what postal service they use to send to Ireland?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I bought it the other day, playing away. Reminds me of powder puff girls / charlies angels in some places! Still reserving judgement yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hmmm, i think ill wait a little longer to see what people here think of it before i buy...., doesnt sound promising so far. The TV ads certainely arent helping things

Are there any trailers on the disc for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

FFX-2 is sadly the first FF game I've skipped since FFV came out on the SNES. I know it's just my opinion, but I've never been so disappointed with a game as I was with FFX. I'll probably cave in and pick up X-2 second hand in a few months, but by the sound of it I'm not missing much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Im actually quite enjoying it,i totally agree about the power puff girls comparison though.

picked it up yesterday put an hour or so into it last night, first impressions....

well just from inside the box, the manual was small, didn't look like there was a massive amount of effort put into it, least there was the bonus disc with FF X. However the game itself, different charlie's angel poses and i like the song god damn me :(.

the battles are fast, too fast for me at the moment i may slow them down, not sure what damage i'm causing and what the story is with these chain attacks.

have so far just obtained the black mage dress sphere but it seems interesting looking forward to getting into it a bit more.

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

My bro bought my copy for my birthday of amazon so its in the post but my mate bought it the minute it broke release last thursday. He has played nearly every final fantasy except 11 and FF tactics on GBA, and said it gets alot better after the 2nd chapter.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Good to know. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm stopping myself from buying it til June cos I know if I get it now I'll lose too much study time playing it!! :(
    I thought it looked fabulous from the ads but I would cos I loved FFX and got really caught up in the lovestory between Tidus and Yuna.

The only disappointment i've suffered so far is from play.com.

Where the fuck is my copy of FFX-2 you bastards!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Yeah im eleven hours in-currently looking frighteningly like an end game scenario but with the mention of chapters after two I have hope-I quite like the new approach.Im very happy with the game overall.

Originally posted by Kalina
    I'm stopping myself from buying it til June cos I know if I get it now I'll lose too much study time playing it!! :(

i was in that situation too but i dont have your will power :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Ok, I've been playing 27 hours, I'm 58% complete, done every sidequest so far, and am at the end of Chapter 3.

First things first, those disappointed with it so far, it DOES get a lot better the further you progress into it. I myself was disappointed with the extreme lack of plot and boredom at the start, but at the end of the second chapter the plot does start getting serious.
    As you level up, you get better skills and the battles become more fun. Also, some the the dresspheres you get later on are lots of fun, like the dark knight and trainer.
    Stick with it, it gets far better.

In comparison to other games, it's certainly not one of the best, I don't late the fact the you revisit areas from FFX over and over and over again, but I do like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

The Dress Spheres - Only a woman would stop in the middle of a fight to change her clothes
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Im on chpter 5 and i gots 97% complete.

It does get alot better, but I found it's probably the easiest of all the Final Fantasy games ive played.

This is my second time round, playing the game. Its handy, cos when you complete it and start again, you carry over you percentage, dress spheres (including ALL learnt abilities), items, accesories and gill, aswell as all al bhed primers. Ive recently come across some $hit hard bosses and i gotta beat them to get 100% and the so called perfect ending. Ah, im not gonna get any sleep.

Neway, tis a good one, I like the story, but its no FFVII.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Funky Penguin you have a valid point, now shut up. I've completed all final fantsay games multiple times and even I am finding it hard to be bothered completing the game.

Can't wait for Final Fantasy VII Advent Children though.

Wow, you make a good first impression don't you. I can imagine your a real popular guy if your the same all the time. We're discussing and debating. Don't bring argument, flames and bollocks in here please mate. You'll last a lot longer for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by funky penguin
    Neway, tis a good one, I like the story, but its no FFVII.

People should be saying it's not FFIX, because(shock horror) VII wasn't really all it was cracked up to be, kind of like the radiohead of games.........

But on the matter of X-2, i really like it so far, i'm only around 5 hours in. I'm thoroughly enjoying the insanely cheesy dialogues and how they turned yuna into a complete bimbo. The return to the ATB battles is a very welcome one, really well implemented too. It's also good to see that the story isn't as linear as it used to be. I wasn't looking forward to the soundtrack, heard it was nowhere near as good as previous games, but that suits the game brilliantly. I can honestly say that the only problem i have with the game is that there's not too many new locations to explore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SwollenTesticle

I can't believe you said that about the greatest Final fantasy ever (FF-7). You need to go get your head checked, as for the radiohead remark, have you not notice that radiohead have gotten worse the more the years went by. Kinda like the ff series, also there will never be any game to compare to FF-7 who agree's.

But then again we are talking about FF X-2.

I agree, FFVII isn't the best game in the series. I reckon that FFX or FFVIII deserves that honour, though I've yet to complete I through VI so I can't comment on them.

The thing I find funniest is how people put Cloud on a pedastel as the greatest character evah, then ask 'em about Squall and they'll say he's rubbish, bad tempered, and whiny. Well, wait a tic......Spiky haired, quiet, lone wolf character, with a bad ass sword who has a past he can't remember with the other characters in the story, and eventually comes to love someone in the party he hangs out with, and be a better person through friendships and be a nicer person. Is it Cloud? Is it Squall? IT'S BOTH!!!!!1!

Wow, you make a good first impression don't you. I can imagine your a real popular guy if your the same all the time. We're discussing and debating. Don't bring argument, flames and bollocks in here please mate. You'll last a lot longer for a start.

Dont worry about him. He's my brother and he's just actin the donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

So any long term opinions on the game? Might be getting it off the sister this weekend so wanna know if I have much to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi,

Having neither the time to play on FFX or X-2 but being around to see my little brother who has all the time in the world I can say FFX impressed me moderately but the story didn't enthuse me greatly... a big massive yoke flying around called sin that blows up things... but well enough about that, sure it would have been more exciting if I had of got into the game....

FFx-2 is a cheap version of FFX using the same graphics. You have a reduced character set only 3 characters the whole way through... and all of them are female. It seemed a very chick oriented game I mean YRP??? What the hell is with that...

You cannot summon in it... so no cool summons.

The game really is a let down and I don't think Square should have released it... It doesn't live up to the Final Fantasy quality at all...

Final Fantasy 7 was the game for me... Final Fantasy 8 rocked too... Good stories, good graphics. If you play Final X-2 I guarantee you will feel shocked at the lack of character development. You will also feel you are part of a teen chick flick...

x

It does seem like charlies angels, but the characters do begin to progress as the story goes on.

I dont think there is anything wrong with there being 3 female leads, they wud do the same actions and abilities as males wud, but i think you are right. Square obviously did this to branch their audience range into the female sex.

But even though their are only three different characters, each can change their apperance and abilities on a whim throught the game. In essence, their are more characters in this game than most final fantasies.

Totally agree with your final fantasy 7 comment Xcellor :)

Cant get any cooler than cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Originally posted by Xcellor
    Hi,

Having neither the time to play on FFX or X-2 but being around to see my little brother who has all the time in the world I can say FFX impressed me moderately but the story didn't enthuse me greatly... a big massive yoke flying around called sin that blows up things... but well enough about that, sure it would have been more exciting if I had of got into the game....

FFx-2 is a cheap version of FFX using the same graphics. You have a reduced character set only 3 characters the whole way through... and all of them are female. It seemed a very chick oriented game I mean YRP??? What the hell is with that...

You cannot summon in it... so no cool summons.

The game really is a let down and I don't think Square should have released it... It doesn't live up to the Final Fantasy quality at all...

Final Fantasy 7 was the game for me... Final Fantasy 8 rocked too... Good stories, good graphics. If you play Final X-2 I guarantee you will feel shocked at the lack of character development. You will also feel you are part of a teen chick flick...

x

actually FFX probably has the best story out of all the final fantasy games, or atleast a close best 2nd compared to FF7's story. FFX's story is really deep and has lots of plot twists etc. Sure it seems like a simple thing at the start but as the plot unravel's its a lot more complex than you might think. But then if your just watching someone playing a game from time to time you aren't really going to know much about the actualy story. I suggest you actually play the game through before deciding if the story is good or bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Living Legend

Its really really really dissapointing,the ending is terrible even if you get 100% and sphere break is as boring as a leaving cert honours maths class,bring back cloud,and try the suikoden series which in my opinion are better than th FF games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Living Legend

What are square doing?Unlimited Saga and FFX-2....both terrible,well FFX-2 has some good bits but not many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Originally posted by Memnoch
    actually FFX probably has the best story out of all the final fantasy games, or atleast a close best 2nd compared to FF7's story. FFX's story is really deep and has lots of plot twists etc. Sure it seems like a simple thing at the start but as the plot unravel's its a lot more complex than you might think. But then if your just watching someone playing a game from time to time you aren't really going to know much about the actualy story. I suggest you actually play the game through before deciding if the story is good or bad :)

FF7 does have the best story i agree, followed closely by FFX , which is still a real cracker of a game for me.

This is more like a diet version of FFX tbh , but nonetheless, entertaining.
    just so u aint too frustrated Xcellor , i'll clear up some stuff for you:

1. You don't have the time to play it , thats a shame alright, thats why you didn't get the whole plot of FFX , which rocks. Basically, Sin doesn't just go blow stuff up, it's a form of pure Evil hellbent on killing everyone because of so much hatred in Spira [ their world ] . The summoners are there to try eliminate it once and for all, as you find out in X-2 , Yuna annihilates it and the X-2 story is set 2 years later, when they are sphere hunters trying to find out about the past...( i thought they weren't Youth League :P ) .

2. Yes , the 3 All female char system is a bit lame , but that ties in with the whole "diet" version they made for the fans till. And the whole "surfer babe" guises look silly but oh well, you can only admire the artwork. BTW, Y.R.P stands for Yuna, Rikku, Paine .. must be some sort of Gullwing thing :)

3. You spoke about summons, more about the lack of them..... well i'll clear that also for you: The summons were created as part of souls called Fayth in FFX , where they would help a summoner they trusted to enlist their power to.

In X-2 all the Fayth have been gone 2 years and there are no summons to speak of ( although i would have liked to use Yojimbo once more :) ) .

4. As i said earlier , Square-Enix only released it for the fans of FF as some light relief .

5. I agree with most of your last statement there also Xcellor, But i dont like 8 as much as i like 6 .. that Kefka is an evil fecker :D

Sorry if i rambled on a bit, but just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Advertisement