Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arkle Voted Britan and Irelands all time favorite

Options
  • 20-02-2004 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭

As you can see from this link Arkle has been voted the all time favorite in a poll on horses. Thankfully I am not old enough to have seen this legend race. However his record speaks ofr itself. 3GC (in a row) 27 wins out of 36 starts (I think) and was well known to have carried up to 3st more weight than it's closest rivals. Best Mate will (I believe) match this horses achievements when it runs in the GC this year. But, as is quoted somewhere in the linked article, Arkle could carry best mate on its back up the cheltenham hill!!

My modern favorite is listed as number 4, Istabraq, who but for Foot and Mouth would have made it 4 CH in 2001. Comments??

[edit] Actually I see from reading the summary they say Arkle only ran 26 races?? thought he had a few more under his belt?[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

do you think if they re-did the poll now, Best Mate would come out on top, or does he need 1 more gold cup??

Advertisement